How does the Country Preferences option work?

Miscellaneous information about using the site.

How does the Country Preferences option work?

Postby super_dipsy » 04 Apr 2019, 08:23

This has come up occasionally, and I have just had to check out the process to make sure it is not broken. It has been in place since the dawn of time, but the way it works is not broken although it could be argued there are better ways to do it ;)

Just for completeness, here is the way it currently works.

1. The first prefs are checked, and
- if there is a country with a single preference for it (ie only one player chose it as their first preference) then that country is assigned to that player
- if more than one person chose the country as a first pref, the country is assigned randomly between all those who had it as first preference

- Once this is all done, there will be a set if unallocated countries, and a set of players who do not have countries assigned yet

2. Move on to second prefs and repeat the same process but only using the sets of unallocated countries and unassigned players

3. If necessary, move on to third prefs and repeat

- If after all this there are still unassigbed players, the unallocated countries are shared out among the remaining players

On this basis, it is probably worth remembering that if you put all your choices as the favourite countries (I know some people who choose the same country for all three preferences ;) ), and if others do the same, you are likely to have a good chance of being allocated one of the others at random. It might be best to put down the country you most want as your first choice but perhaps consider for your third choice at least a country that is less likely to be popular but you would still be happy playing. This may give you a better chance of at least one of your choices actually being satisfied!
User avatar
super_dipsy
Premium Member
 
Posts: 11847
Joined: 04 Nov 2009, 17:43
Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1000
All-game rating: 941
Timezone: GMT

Re: How does the Country Preferences option work?

Postby NoPunIn10Did » 04 Apr 2019, 13:00

Given that methodology, there’s no reason at all to put the same country for any more than one choice.
NoPunIn10Did
Moderator (Forums only)

Variant GM, Designer & Collaborator
User avatar
NoPunIn10Did
Premium Member
 
Posts: 2031
Joined: 17 Aug 2011, 00:17
Location: North Carolina
Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1000
All-game rating: 1515
Timezone: GMT

Re: How does the Country Preferences option work?

Postby sinnybee » 04 Apr 2019, 19:26

NoPunIn10Did wrote:Given that methodology, there’s no reason at all to put the same country for any more than one choice.

Exactly. Either you get your 1st choice or someone else is assigned it in round 1 of country assignments (and same for other rounds), so it's impossible to be assigned the country on a future round of country assignments.
Gold Classicist since 1-11-11
FT Asst GM of 35 player WWIV Aug 2011-Feb 2012
#1 ranked player of playdip early 2013
4th highest forum karma count at Apr 2013 ending (behind Craw, Dipsy, and Rick)
Tournament Director of the 31 game PDVT Feb-Dec 2014, the first playdip tourney with over 100 sign-ups
User avatar
sinnybee
 
Posts: 5790
Joined: 03 Sep 2010, 07:01
Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1332)
All-game rating: (1467)
Timezone: GMT-7

Re: How does the Country Preferences option work?

Postby NoPunIn10Did » 04 Apr 2019, 21:50

sinnybee wrote:
NoPunIn10Did wrote:Given that methodology, there’s no reason at all to put the same country for any more than one choice.

Exactly. Either you get your 1st choice or someone else is assigned it in round 1 of country assignments (and same for other rounds), so it's impossible to be assigned the country on a future round of country assignments.


I guess maybe that's a way to say "If I can't get that country, I want a random pick from whatever is left over" ?
NoPunIn10Did
Moderator (Forums only)

Variant GM, Designer & Collaborator
User avatar
NoPunIn10Did
Premium Member
 
Posts: 2031
Joined: 17 Aug 2011, 00:17
Location: North Carolina
Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1000
All-game rating: 1515
Timezone: GMT

Re: How does the Country Preferences option work?

Postby sinnybee » 04 Apr 2019, 22:59

NoPunIn10Did wrote:
sinnybee wrote:
NoPunIn10Did wrote:Given that methodology, there’s no reason at all to put the same country for any more than one choice.

Exactly. Either you get your 1st choice or someone else is assigned it in round 1 of country assignments (and same for other rounds), so it's impossible to be assigned the country on a future round of country assignments.


I guess maybe that's a way to say "If I can't get that country, I want a random pick from whatever is left over" ?

Yep :)
Gold Classicist since 1-11-11
FT Asst GM of 35 player WWIV Aug 2011-Feb 2012
#1 ranked player of playdip early 2013
4th highest forum karma count at Apr 2013 ending (behind Craw, Dipsy, and Rick)
Tournament Director of the 31 game PDVT Feb-Dec 2014, the first playdip tourney with over 100 sign-ups
User avatar
sinnybee
 
Posts: 5790
Joined: 03 Sep 2010, 07:01
Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1332)
All-game rating: (1467)
Timezone: GMT-7


Return to Information

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest