Shuffle variant

7 player super-Chaos: SCs and units re-randomised every Winter. Devised by lecrae, GMd by mr bump. Winner: Turkey (Diadem) {Maps for Year 1901 Lost}

Re: Shuffle variant

Postby Shibabalo » 06 Apr 2013, 15:43

lecrae wrote:I think that we should all get random SC's, since it is unfair in regular with people like Russia, Germany, and France. Kinda like Choas but even more chaotic.

I agree. Everybody should start with three random supply centers.
SOLO- Baltic, Double Diplomacy
Draw- Layered, Dip Lite, 1700, Zeus, Simple, 1900 S&S
Loss- Some games

Classicist, Whippersnapper, Swag Bagel
Shibabalo
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (987)
All-game rating: (1410)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Zadaron » 06 Apr 2013, 16:25

Diadem wrote:I really think 3 random centre start is best. Normal starting positions Russia is pretty much certain of 5 centres, generally gets 6 and sometimes even 7. Germany and France also often get 5-6. Meanwhile England and Italy and Turkey generally only get 1. In the normal game this is balanced out by position. Russia is huge, but also very vulnerable. But those positions don't matter in the this variant, since it's randomized.

So why should Russia start with a centre more, if he does not suffer the normal drawbacks of being Russia?

I agree with this!
Genghis Khan wrote:The greatest pleasure is to vanquish your enemies and chase them before you, to rob them of their wealth and see those dear to them bathed in tears, to ride their horses and clasp to your bosom their wives and daughters
Zadaron

Standard rating: (991)
All-game rating: (1416)
Timezone: GMT+1

Postby Pedros » 06 Apr 2013, 17:56

Looks like we're pretty much of one mind!
"Sooner or later, one of us will stab the other. But for now we're both better off as allies" (kininvie)
Pedros

Location: Somewhere full of gorse and brambles, West Cornwall
Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1085)
All-game rating: (1314)
Timezone: GMT

Postby starshooter7324 » 06 Apr 2013, 18:07

Diadem wrote:I think it should be random starting positions. So every country 3 centres, randomly picked.

Otherwise some countries have a much better position than others. And bidding or random assignment will both be a matter of luck...

I disagree. A country should start in its actual position.
starshooter7324

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (917)
All-game rating: (922)
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby Pedros » 06 Apr 2013, 18:54

I think you'd hgave a job arguing that Startshooter in any way consistent with the whole idea of the game - especially since it was your idea! No home builds, no staying at home, but you have to start at home. I HATE HOME
"Sooner or later, one of us will stab the other. But for now we're both better off as allies" (kininvie)
Pedros

Location: Somewhere full of gorse and brambles, West Cornwall
Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1085)
All-game rating: (1314)

Postby starshooter7324 » 06 Apr 2013, 18:59

Pedros wrote:I think you'd hgave a job arguing that Startshooter in any way consistent with the whole idea of the game - especially since it was your idea! No home builds, no staying at home, but you have to start at home. I HATE HOME

That is true, and I'm not playing the game. I would have preferred we could start in actual positions, but this works too.
starshooter7324

Standard rating: (917)
All-game rating: (922)
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby Pharaoh of nerds » 06 Apr 2013, 19:57

I have no preference
GM Evil vs Evil vs Evil vs 'MURIKA
Creator + Britain 1930s World
Creator 1700, 1933, 1914 World
Japan in Zeus
Britain in 1900: Stars and Stripes
Messinia in Pericles
Franci in Imperium
Evil England in Root Z
Yellow in City-States and Zombies
Pharaoh of nerds

Standard rating: (1000)
All-game rating: (972)

Postby connect4 » 06 Apr 2013, 20:51

We are good on the random side of things here. Just make sure you don't go past 1950 or I will be unhappy :)
connect4

Standard rating: (1042)
All-game rating: (1012)

Postby mr bump » 06 Apr 2013, 23:35

Ok, we are agreed. Three random SC's per country.

In this case the actual country the player allocated is not relevant. Unless a player would like to choose which country they are?
Last edited by mr bump on 06 Apr 2013, 23:48, edited 1 time in total.
mr bump

Veni, vidi, percussit.
mr bump

Standard rating: (970)
All-game rating: (873)

Postby mr bump » 06 Apr 2013, 23:47

The Game

The game starts in Winter 1900. Each country will be allocated 3 randomly selected SC’s The players have 24Hrs to enter their build orders.

The game runs normally with the addition of ‘The Shuffle Rule’ as described below. That the game is build anywhere.

The game will run with a 2nd GM whose responsibility it is to carry out the shuffle, independently of the 1st GM.

The Shuffle Rule

Every winter phase, after retreats/destroys;

A count is made of the players SC’s.
All units are destroyed.
A randomised list of all the games SC’s is produced by the 2nd GM. The player gains an equivalent amount of SC’s from the random list. The 2nd GM allocates SC’s alphabetically, by country, starting at the top of the list.
The player then builds.
After the build phase the game processes as normal.

House Rules

Orders.

New orders should be PM’ed to the GM. Do not send orders by replying or forwarding. Send a new PM for every set of orders. All units must have orders. Units not ordered will be given a hold order. This includes any change of orders.

Orders sent must contain the word “Shuffle” in the subject, or that order may be rendered invalid. Orders should include your country name and the phase. They will be considered final, unless otherwise stated and will become final at phase end but can be changed at any time up to the point of phase end.I will send out an order reminder approx 24 hours before the phase end and a final warning a few hours before phase end for outstanding orders.

I will accept abbreviations if unambiguous. If I can’t tell what you mean, the order is invalid. I will be strict on this.

Other messages - For these, please make it clear in the title that it’s a question or some other comment about shuffle.

Deadlines - Deadlines will be 3/1/1 with speed, I may therefore process the turn before the notified phase end if I have a full set of orders. The point of processing then becomes the phase end. After processing, change of orders will not be accepted.

Delays - If you need a delay, give me as much warning as possible. I am glad to accept reasonable delay requests (hint: 5 minutes before the deadline will likely not be treated as “reasonable”). This also covers substitute requests; it’s your job to find the sub.

NMRs

If you NMR on the first turn you will be replaced. If you NMR two consecutive movement turns you will be replaced. If you NMR in any three movement turns you will be replaced.

If a player NMR’s I will send a warning PM with a 24Hr grace period. This period extends to all players with regards changing orders. If orders are subsequently received then this first occurrence will not count as an NMR.

In All matters the GM’s decision is final.
mr bump

Veni, vidi, percussit.
mr bump

Standard rating: (970)
All-game rating: (873)

PreviousNext

Return to Shuffle Diplomacy {Maps Visible}