"Battle of the Generations 1 more": Further analysis!

Discussion of finished games.

"Battle of the Generations 1 more": Further analysis!

Postby Pedros » 24 Jun 2010, 10:35

This, the second game in the inter-generation challenge, has now finished. AARs here please.
Last edited by Pedros on 27 Jun 2010, 20:22, edited 1 time in total.
"Sooner or later, one of us will stab the other. But for now we're both better off as allies" (kininvie)
Pedros

Location: Somewhere full of gorse and brambles, West Cornwall
Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1085)
All-game rating: (1314)
Timezone: GMT

Re: "Battle of the Generations 1 more"

Postby Custer » 24 Jun 2010, 12:04

Whats the score so far? How bout a running tally? ;)
First..........get off my lawn! Second........it's a dashing self portrait! Courtesy of The Craw. Third.....I am still SHIV, Keeper of the Stone Tablets! Go Pack! And behold the power of cheese! And one more thing. Say ya to da U.P. eh!
Custer
Premium Member

Location: Sailing somewhere in Da U.P. in Da Whitehawk and an original Yooper!
Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1004
All-game rating: 1323
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby WarSmith » 24 Jun 2010, 19:09

Bad draw.
Also, the ball just swerves too much in the air.
And the pitch was cutting up.
Vuvuzelas too distracting...
I could go on...

I was Austria, my colleague was England.

Had feared the Jugger and Fra/Ger allance. But something about the posturing of Germany and Russia early on mistakenly gave us the opinion that they may be a pair. In my position I had to gamble early on. Russia and Turkey were talking up war and I chose to go with one against the other. I still feared the jugger and this was somewhat of wishful thinking. However, there were precious other options anyway, so call it a gamble, or just plain hope - it made no difference- I was royally [email protected]@@ed in any case, and England by association was trapped in a corner. I attempted to side with one against the other - and 'bang' it was all over in a heartbeat as they ripped me to shreds. No point continuing with the diplomacy much after that - my colleague fought on as much as he could, but my role in the game was long over.
Credit to Turkey and Russia for hiding their alliance long enough. But to be totally frank, they could have finished me earlier if they'd wanted too - as soon as they saw germany leaving the border light...

Defended as long as I could whilst the Fra/Ger team got established enough to build a stalemate line. The best result for our team was the other two reaching a dull draw/stalemate, which they did. Job done.

I actually think that Italy makes the best neutral country, but jugger & fra/ger puts eng/aus in an impossible position.
Would things have been different if we'd known the pairings in the 1st/2nd year? - Perhaps, if we could have convinced germany to go east earlier... but then I imagine it would have been a Fra/ger win.

Deflated team captain.
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth even has a chance to put its pants on”
WarSmith
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1716
All-game rating: 1601
Timezone: GMT+2

Postby Pedros » 27 Jun 2010, 20:07

rshivy wrote:Whats the score so far? How bout a running tally? ;)

Not in the AARs rshivy! See viewtopic.php?f=27&t=12768&p=184104#p184104
"Sooner or later, one of us will stab the other. But for now we're both better off as allies" (kininvie)
Pedros

Postby Pedros » 27 Jun 2010, 20:17

Most AAR material for this game has been written in the main tournament thread, starting at viewtopic.php?f=27&t=12768&start=20#p184118.

In the course of it there was a disagreement particularly between Stander and Big Orange about whether or not the Whippersnappers (France and Germany) could have gained a solo victory. So this thread will now host a continuation of the game with one taking each pair of countries. It will be played as though it were a Forum game; I will GM. No strict deadlines, for obvious reasons. Here is the map at the conclusion of the game nb - thanks to Stander for pointing out that I'd missed two fleets - Greece and Norway - when transferring the map; the correction is made alongside France's build in the next map:-

Generations.gif
Last edited by Pedros on 28 Jun 2010, 07:34, edited 1 time in total.
Pedros

Re: "Battle of the Generations 1 more": Further analysis!

Postby Stander » 27 Jun 2010, 22:27

There are a couple of errors with this map, but I have PM'ed Pedros to correct.
My orders will be PM'ed to you shortly.
I will be running the London Marathon on 22nd April 2012 to raise funds to help disabled children and in memory of my darling wife who sadly passed away in January 2012.

To find out more or to donate please visit:- http://www.justgiving.com/BigRunningFool
Stander
Elite Sponsor
Elite Sponsor

Location: Mainly running the streets of Essex, getting wet, cold and bloody miserable.
Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)

Postby Stander » 27 Jun 2010, 22:41

Hmmmm.....might have been a bit hasty here.

Having studied the (correct) map more closely, I'm now not so certain that Franche can be stopped.

Let's see what the next few moves bring?
I will be running the London Marathon on 22nd April 2012 to raise funds to help disabled children and in memory of my darling wife who sadly passed away in January 2012.

To find out more or to donate please visit:- http://www.justgiving.com/BigRunningFool
Stander
Elite Sponsor
Elite Sponsor

Location: Mainly running the streets of Essex, getting wet, cold and bloody miserable.

Spring 1909 results

Postby Pedros » 01 Jul 2010, 14:50

Orders are now in and resolved for Spring 1909. I made two executive decisions which need to be OKd by Big O and Stander:-
    Stander's orders contained a misorder - A Moscow support Gal-Sil. Clearly the intended action was Warsaw providing the support. Because the purpose of this topic is to test whether a solo could have been gained I have allowed this change.
    Big O amended his 1908 build (A Mar in with his orders, which I didn't open until I was ready to process them.) Again, in the interests of the test, I allowed this change
If either Stander or Big Orange wish to challenge these decisions I'm happy to change them!

There were two auto-destroys - Russian fleet Barents Sea and Italian army Rome - and one other retreat is needed - German army in Silesia (consequence of the Warsaw decision noted above). Waiting for you Big O, unless you both want to submit Fall orders on the assumption that Sil retreats to Berlin.

Generations.gif

Austria/Russia (Stander)
F(StP)nc – Nwy - Bounced
F(BAR) S F(StP)nc – Nwy – Dislodged unit cannot affect the space the attack came from – auto destroy
F(ION) S F(Nap) - Resolved
F(Gre) S F(ION) - Resolved
F(Apu) S F(Ven) - Resolved
F(Ven) Hold - Resolved
A(Tri) S F(Ven) - Resolved
A(Bud)S A(Vie) - Resolved
A(Ukr) S A(War) - Resolved
A(Lvn)- Pru Bounced
A(Mos) S A(Gal) – Sil : Misorder. In the context of this analysis I am allowing support from Warsaw!
A(Gal) – Sil – Resolved
A(Rum) – Gal – Resolved
A(Vie) S A(Rum) – Gal - Resolved
A(Bul) – Ser - Resolved

France/Germany(Big Orange)
GOB-St Pete (south coast) - Bounced
nwg supports norway to Barents - Resolved
north to norway - Bounced
english to north - Bounced
nao—mao - Resolved
pied-tus - Resolved
tus-rome – Resolved (Rome auto-destroy)
typyr {presumably Tyrrenhian!} support tus-rome - Resolved
tunis-ion - Bounced
wmed-gol - Resolved
tyr hold - Resolved
munich suppo tyr hold - Resolved
boh supp tyr hold - Resolved
prus support sil hold – Support cut by A Lvn-Pru
sil support pruss hold – Support cut by A Gal – Sil; Silesia retreats
mars-pied - Resolved
nor-barents - Resolved
Pedros

Postby Big Orange » 01 Jul 2010, 18:13

1. No challenge on Stander's mis-order.
2. Therefore, yes, retreat to Berlin.
3. Thanks, P., for doing the hard work.
Big Orange
Sponsor
Sponsor

Postby Big Orange » 01 Jul 2010, 18:32

Map error: WMed should be in GOL
Big Orange
Sponsor
Sponsor

Next

Return to After Action Reports (AARs)