Tournament - Final Table - bitwise wins!

Discussion of finished games.

Re: Tournament - Final Table - bitwise wins!

Postby bitwise » 30 Aug 2009, 21:24

Banditkills wrote:Looked like an epic game, I am finding reading the thoughts and turns by each player interesting reading.

That's really nice to know, as it's one of the main reasons we write them. :)
I've always appreciated AARs or their equivalents, when I've picked up on a new game, gotten past the initial learning curve, and started thinking: "Ok, so how am I going to get good at this?"
And I hope that the collection of AARs here will help players at all skill levels to take the game to the next level.
bitwise
Elite Sponsor
Elite Sponsor

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1002)
All-game rating: (1299)
Timezone: GMT+1

Postby infinity8ball » 30 Aug 2009, 21:50

mdmuff wrote:
infinity8ball wrote:Looks like a great game! Kind of characterized by a "greedy russia" towards the end from an outsiders opinion!

What makes you say that?

Just looks like Russia stabbed Turkey twice, thus allowing Italy to break free and into the underbelly of the south. Whereas a jugger had formed, Germany would have fallen, Italy contained, and France held at bay.
infinity8ball
Sponsor
Sponsor

Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby mdmuff » 30 Aug 2009, 21:59

I agree that would have been ideal, but as you read in the AAR, RL was keeping Turkey from communicating often, making a Jugger very very difficult considering the position and coordination that would have been needed to pull it off. If anything disrupted the coordinated moves and France could have swept in on Italy and gained the solo, imo. My stab on Turkey was not for much gain (if any), it was to survive and keep my northern forces around to keep me in the game and keep someone from soloing... it didn't work as planned as I was hoping to delay a solo and get a draw out of it.
Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference.

Ham & Eggs: A days work for a chicken; a lifetime commitment for a pig.
mdmuff

Postby bitwise » 01 Sep 2009, 06:27

Still missing 4 accounts here. Come on guys.
bitwise
Elite Sponsor
Elite Sponsor

Postby bitwise » 03 Oct 2009, 13:37

bitwise wrote:Still missing 4 accounts here. Come on guys.

Still waiting. :cry:
bitwise
Elite Sponsor
Elite Sponsor

Postby jeanphi » 11 Oct 2009, 08:52

Great win Bitwise and well deserved!!!! CONGRAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My AAR......... well I drew Austria my favorite country below, France, Germany, England, Russia, and turkey.... Tied with Italy... pfffffffffffffffffffffffff.

This was a long time ago... I was SURE that Italy was diplo.. arggggggg again.... And allied with him and had a strong alliance with Russia... unjtil he bowed out and got replaced.... then I was dead with new trussia allied with Italy and turkey could not be finished...

Italy then stabed me (normal move at that point) and ..... I was dead..

This is all I recall as I lost a lot of interest after Russia quit (MR??) but this does not leseen Bitwase accomplishment: he played great an congrat to you : you totally deserve it..!
Just don't forget: it is a GAME. The only reason to play is for fun.
FIER D'ETRE LYONNAIS
jeanphi

Standard rating: (1000)

Postby Diplomat » 03 Dec 2009, 06:58

Hey guys,

I know its not an AAR and I don't have time for that but someone mailed me the link so I read through it. Grats on the win, and well deserved. Here is a quick summary of what I told MD when I left which should give everyone some insight into my thinking at the time. Its been so long, far longer than I would have thought, and I don't recall enough in enough detail do to justice to an AAR.

In a regular game Russia is generally a good spot but in this game everyone was looking for an early Russian lead and for a way to counter it. I would have rather been England or some of the traditional powers in the second phase of the game as a result. Still I guess I could have been Italy... :-)

Looking back the fear of a jugger, which is almost irrational in a game of this quality, really impeded my ability to negotiate. I felt it hampered my ability to work with Italy which is often a key for Russia in my opinion. Still I thought an ET would work, especially when it seemed clear the WT was in play, but I had to leave before that worked out or didn't.

Again, this is what I wrote to MD when he took over for me.

Alliances -
England, a bit of a secret alliance though it may be breaking down now that the board appears to be moving v a Jugger. Up this this turn England was facing F/G, or so they claimed.

Germany - just a DMZ agreement at best and someone who needs to be dealt with as he is very hostile towards you.

France - There is a secret FIR alliance, but I don't trust France at all in reality and he's been doing what he can to impede both R and I's progress from what I can tell.

Triple? There might be a delayed WT in play, can't tell for sure but it would appear that is a real option given the moves we've seen. It also explains Germany's issues, and France's, from what I can see.

Italy - More I/R than FIR if you ask me, I was happy to work with Italy up to this last build when he became very demanding and appears to have subverted Austria.

Austria - a good ally and started the idea of an Eastern Triple which has folded a bit after this turn. Still he told me I was his only true ally after I told him I was leaving so perhaps he's legit? Did not move on Germany as I asked him to and moved to Gal as I asked him not to do, but says it was because I was leaving.

Turkey - Part of the ET and would have been a good ally BUT for the Jugger issue. AIR were planning on taking him out if the WT did not show up.

Lastly, again, my apologies for having to leave. I know it upset the game. You will note I really have not made it back as RL is still calling.... Great Win Bit and well deserved.
Avatar courtesy of TheCraw. Many Thanks.
Diplomat

Timezone: GMT-8

Postby bitwise » 03 Dec 2009, 07:39

Thanks a lot, Dip. Nice to hear about that aspect too.

I hope RL will treat you good.
bitwise
Elite Sponsor
Elite Sponsor

Previous

Return to After Action Reports (AARs)