Heptarchy Statistics

British Isles based variant starting in 651. Created by Geoff Bache. Brought to site by sroca. {Final Map Visible in Game 8}
Enjoyment rating: :D :D :D :D

Heptarchy Statistics

Postby joe92 » 28 Jun 2017, 19:24

After Game 11 Guns of Brixton kindly collated the results of the 11 completed games to date. The results are however within the AAR of game 11 which will in all likelihood be missed by anyone looking for the results, plus there have been an additional 2 games. I thought it would be handy to have an easier to find statistical analysis of Heptarchy.

Below is an up to date collation of the results of all Heptarchy games. The number on the second row is the points given per game for that country. It is there to give some sort of weighting to the countries (on the limited number of games that have been played). I have copied the points per game (PPG) as given to the Classicist league. It can be changed if desired.

Code: Select all
              | Solo | 2-way | 3-way | 4-way | 5-way | 6-way | Points
PPG           |   22 |    10 |     6 |     3 |     1 |     0 |
--------------+------+-------+-------+-------+-------+-------+--------
Anglia        |    1 |     0 |     1 |     1 |     0 |     0 |     31
Cornubia      |    1 |     1 |     3 |     1 |     0 |     1 |     53
Ireland       |    0 |     0 |     1 |     1 |     0 |     1 |      9
Mercia        |    2 |     1 |     2 |     1 |     0 |     1 |     69
Northumbria   |    0 |     0 |     4 |     1 |     0 |     1 |     27
Scotland      |    0 |     1 |     0 |     1 |     0 |     1 |     13
Wales         |    1 |     1 |     4 |     2 |     0 |     1 |     62
--------------+------+-------+-------+-------+-------+-------+--------
Total results |    5 |     2 |     5 |     2 |     0 |     1 |

Ranking
1st. Mercia
2nd. Wales
3rd. Cornubia
4th. Anglia
5th. Northumbria
6th. Scotland
7th. Ireland

Results
Game 1: 2-way draw - Cornubia / Mercia
Game 2: 2-way draw - Scotland / Wales
Game 3: Game abandoned
Game 4: Solo - Cornubia
Game 5: 4-way draw - Anglia / Mercia / Scotland / Wales
Game 6: Solo - Mercia
Game 7: 3-way draw - Cornubia / Northumbria / Wales
Game 8: Solo - Anglia
Game 9: 3-way draw - Anglia / Ireland / Northumbria
Game 10: Solo - Wales
Game 11: Solo - Mercia
Game 12: 4-way draw - Cornubia / Ireland / Northumbria / Wales
Game 13: 3-way draw - Mercia / Northumbria / Wales
Game 14: 3-way draw - Cornubia / Northumbria / Wales
Game 15: 3-way draw - Cornubia / Mercia / Wales
Game 16: 6-way draw - Cornubia / Ireland / Mercia / Northumbria / Scotland / Wales

The Starting Map
Heptarchy_650_12_winter.png
Heptarchy_650_12_winter.png (46.27 KiB) Viewed 3958 times

Please PM me or post a reply here if any more games are completed and I'll update the thread. If I'm unavailable contact a moderator and hopefully they'll oblige in keeping this up to date as well.

Is there any other information it would be useful to collate here?
Last edited by joe92 on 21 Jun 2019, 15:43, edited 5 times in total.
Designer: Emergence, Modern Extended
GM'ing: Nothing

Platinum Classicist

Taking a break
joe92

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1106)
All-game rating: (1721)
Timezone: GMT

Re: Heptarchy Statistics

Postby Nanook » 29 Jun 2017, 01:07

I'm surprised at Ireland's results. I was expecting them to have done much better, maybe in the 3-5 spot.
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

Admin
Nanook
Premium Member

Standard rating: (1209)
All-game rating: (1413)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby I Love Italy » 29 Jun 2017, 01:42

I find it interesting how the central powers do much better than their vanilla dip counterparts.
I have special eyes.
I Love Italy

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1041)
All-game rating: (1059)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby Nanook » 29 Jun 2017, 02:07

I Love Italy wrote:I find it interesting how the central powers do much better than their vanilla dip counterparts.

Cornubia, and to a lesser extent Anglia, aren't true middle powers. They can both act as corner powers and get a good, strong foothold fairly quickly.
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

Admin
Nanook
Premium Member

Postby Nanook » 29 Jun 2017, 06:43

nanooktheeskimo wrote:
I Love Italy wrote:I find it interesting how the central powers do much better than their vanilla dip counterparts.

Cornubia, and to a lesser extent Anglia, aren't true middle powers. They can both act as corner powers and get a good, strong foothold fairly quickly.

Even Wales, while technically a central power, has a very defensible position. It takes a lot of work to crack Wales, especially if it's just one player attacking them.
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

Admin
Nanook
Premium Member

Postby Don Juan of Austria » 29 Jun 2017, 07:06

nanooktheeskimo wrote:I'm surprised at Ireland's results. I was expecting them to have done much better, maybe in the 3-5 spot.

We feel hurt. :P I was actually pleased to bring Ireland's points up by one third! :lol:
"In everything, moderation". ~Aristotle
A proud member of the Whippersnappers,
Bronze Classicists,
Lancer in the PBF cavalry.

Mild Hiatus.
Don Juan of Austria

Standard rating: 1051
All-game rating: 1148

Postby Nanook » 29 Jun 2017, 07:51

Don Juan of Austria wrote:
nanooktheeskimo wrote:I'm surprised at Ireland's results. I was expecting them to have done much better, maybe in the 3-5 spot.

We feel hurt. :P I was actually pleased to bring Ireland's points up by one third! :lol:

You should feel proud, you've gotten the second best result with them! And one of only 2 positive results, total.
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

Admin
Nanook
Premium Member

Postby joe92 » 29 Jun 2017, 11:44

I've added an extra row to the table to include the total number of solo's, 2-ways etc.. I've also added the starting map into the OP for easy reference.

I've got to agree that the results are different to what you'd expect after looking at the map. What I think is the case is that others see Ireland as the fully isolated power. It's over on another landmass which armies cannot reach. The territories are large so it looks really big. It's also in the best position to create an alliance out of all the other players - everyone could gain with Ireland as an ally (whereas say Anglia and Scotland have less to talk about early on). And I think this works to Ireland's disadvantage. I think it gives the illusion that it's much stronger than it is. I think it's a similar reason why Scotland does bad. The illusion of size/strength.

But, perhaps the bad results are simply down to statistical sampling - I'm not sure there's been enough games of Heptarchy yet to know whether this is a trend or bad luck. Scotland might have been wiped out early in games 12 & 13, but in game 11 it came second. Ireland and Northumbria have had similar experiences of near success. We'll see what game 14 brings about!

Don Juan of Austria wrote:We feel hurt. :P I was actually pleased to bring Ireland's points up by one third! :lol:

Well actually, you increase the previous score by 50%, which is an even better way of looking at it ;)
Designer: Emergence, Modern Extended
GM'ing: Nothing

Platinum Classicist

Taking a break
joe92

Standard rating: (1106)
All-game rating: (1721)
Timezone: GMT

Postby Nanook » 29 Jun 2017, 11:59

Yeah, Ireland quite possibly has a sort of worst of both worlds mix of Russia and England going on. It's a pain to get rid of them once they get to 5 or 6 centers, because they're so isolated and because you have to be able to match their naval power (which is unlikely for one player alone to be able to do, realistically)...but instead of this being an advantage for them, it ends up working with the factors Joe mentioned, that they're really a decent ally for most countries and they look bigger than they are, and that ends up scaring other countries. Much like the issue that Russia can find itself in oftentimes, where they scare other players because of their perceived size.

Personally, as Cornubia in 12, I really wanted a decent size Ireland for a good chunk of the game, because I knew that I'd be a harder target for him than Wales/Scotland/NU would be, and he could simultaneously act as a nice check against Wales.

In fact, it wouldn't surprise me at all if we see an Ireland and Cornubia alliance going a long ways into the game one of these days. If there's a juggernaut-esque alliance in this game, I think that might be it. Although, onviousolayer compatibilty caveat aside, Cornubia would have to be able to set aside the paranoia of Ireland, while Ireland would have to be OK with a Cornubia that has a decent size fleet as well. So it's not a perfect alliance, but it's one I wouldn't be surprised at all to see do very, very well with the right players running it.
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

Admin
Nanook
Premium Member

Postby I Love Italy » 29 Jun 2017, 16:55

As for Scotland, I think its chances might also just be hurt by its positioning. In terms of options, it's the opposite of Ireland. At the start, it can ally with Ireland against Northumbria, or Northumbria against Ireland. From there, it doesn't have many more options, as its isolation makes it difficult for it to attack anyone other than the other of the pair. As such, it would've been difficult for me to ally this game with Scotland, knowing that even if he did work with me against Ireland, his only real choice would likely be to go after me next.
I have special eyes.
I Love Italy

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1041)
All-game rating: (1059)
Timezone: GMT-8

Next

Return to Heptarchy [Games 1-15] {Maps Visible in Games 9+}