193409: Friends Game with video, voice and message chat

Advertise new games, look for games to join, find subs or replacements. This subforum is reserved for games on www.playdiplomacy.com.
Please use Offsite Game Recruitment for games unaffiliated with either PlayDiplomacy or the PlayDiplomacy forums.

Moderator: NoPunIn10Did

Forum rules
To join a game listed here (unless it needs a password) just go to "Join Games" and input the information.
If you are advertising any game with Anonymous Players (including Gunboat and PPO) you should use the Dolph Shtoss account using the password anonymous. DO NOT CHANGE THIS PASSWORD.
When advertising for replacement players please make it clear whether permanent replacement or temporary substitute
- adverts should not tell a substitute what actions you want them to take (posts will be subject to editing);
- adverts MUST NOT offer an incentive to join the game (eg. a specific alliance) OR suggest certain actions when joining a game (posts will be subject to editing or removal and posters warned).
These are considered meta-gaming by using the Forum to influence a game.

193409: Friends Game with video, voice and message chat

Postby Mr_Blobby » 23 Apr 2021, 02:01

You are invited to a game with a difference! I would like to try something new and hope that you will join me and have a bit of fun.

In this friends game, we will use ICQ to provide all of the comms outside of PlayDip. This is LEGAL because it's a friends game.

In order to join, simply go to game 193409 "ICQ Diplomacy" and join using the password "icqdip"

Create a FREE ICQ account at http://www.icq.com if you don't already have an account. This will allow video, voice and text communication with fellow players. I would advise you to set your ICQ Nickname to the same as your PlayDip name to prevent any confusion. ICQ is available on Windows, macOS, IOS and Android.

Once the game starts, join this private ICQ Channel https://icq.im/AoLGlKpz5ligLZVNZQc and introduce yourself. Also go into the Public Press and give your ICQ Nickname so that others can communicate with you.

Play begins and continues as normal except we communicate within ICQ where we can chat one to one or in groups (of allies) using messenger, voice or video.

If you have any issues with ICQ once the game begins, come up in the Public Press and I will try to help.

Enjoy!
Last edited by Mr_Blobby on 24 Apr 2021, 01:13, edited 1 time in total.
Mr_Blobby

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1312
All-game rating: 1329
Timezone: GMT

Re: Friends Game with external video, voice and message chat

Postby Latanst1 » 23 Apr 2021, 05:45

This is a game with players scattered across the world and so is active 24 hours a day. You may do better by suggesting a time or times each day when these conversations are to take place. Also, I assume that "Public Press" and Live Game rules apply or does the software system you are suggesting allow for two-way channels for private chats and negotiations?

PS I am not planning to join myself but just some suggestions from an interested observer.
Latanst1
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1115
All-game rating: 1189
Timezone: GMT+9

Re: Friends Game with external video, voice and message chat

Postby Mr_Blobby » 23 Apr 2021, 17:32

You make a good point Latanst1.

It is an assumption that the main activity will be centered around UK time however, with the ability to send voice messages and text messages anytime, we can account for time shifts. You can have one to one voice/video chats or you can have group chats and anything that is not posted in the play diplomacy channel (which is shared) will be completely private.

Allies that want a voice/video chat can arrange times between themselves to do this. I speak to the US and Europe all the time and we just have to arrange slots to do this. Where it does get difficult is when you're in Australia/Asia but as I said, you can still exchange text based messages and even voice messages as well.

I do hope that this will be of interest and people will join.

Cheers!
Mr_Blobby

Re: 193409: Friends Game with video, voice and message chat

Postby Mr_Blobby » 27 Apr 2021, 23:59

Any takers for a non-rank game with voice chat?
Mr_Blobby

Return to Find A Game