Chatty Kathy Introduction

Advertise new games, look for games to join, find subs or replacements. This subforum is reserved for games on www.playdiplomacy.com.
Please use Offsite Game Recruitment for games unaffiliated with either PlayDiplomacy or the PlayDiplomacy forums.

Moderator: NoPunIn10Did

Forum rules
To join a game listed here (unless it needs a password) just go to "Join Games" and input the information.
If you are advertising any game with Anonymous Players (including Gunboat and PPO) you should use the Dolph Shtoss account using the password anonymous. DO NOT CHANGE THIS PASSWORD.
When advertising for replacement players please make it clear whether permanent replacement or temporary substitute
- adverts should not tell a substitute what actions you want them to take (posts will be subject to editing);
- adverts MUST NOT offer an incentive to join the game (eg. a specific alliance) OR suggest certain actions when joining a game (posts will be subject to editing or removal and posters warned).
These are considered meta-gaming by using the Forum to influence a game.

Chatty Kathy Introduction

Postby Nanook » 04 Mar 2015, 00:09

(to skip straight to the sign up thread, click here)

(previously titled: "Games with lots of comms are funner, and that's just science")

So I had an idea while lying in bed trying to sleep, the second most likely place for an idea to hit me (behind singing in the shower, obviously). I was thinking about the games I've played that have been the most fun, and it hit me, most of them have featured three or more Star Ambassadors...which when you think about it at all, makes a ton of sense. Anyways, I thought to myself as I lay in bed not sleeping, what if someone were to organize a loose series of games, featuring said Star Ambassadors? They could be puredip, maybe also feature a few variants where communication is even more important than normal (I should say more emphasized), like Fog of War or the 1900 and Versailles maps...then I thought, why don't I do that? So I rushed to my laptop before I could forget the other half of the beautiful and very literate and coherent introductory post I was going to make, and here it is--half of a beautiful, literate, and coherent introductory post!

So, to explain the idea clearer. It's pretty simple really, people would sign up to play, possessing the Star Ambassador moniker (or those who are Star Ambassador caliber but lack the requisite number of games finished, as judged by myself or someone whose judgment I trust*) being the only criteria to do so. Signups will be for a particular game, as I expect to have a few different ones with different variants as well as norank/rank options available for sign up at the same time, but you can of course sign up for more than one game at a time. Games will be created and passwords sent out as they are filled, to avoid games being created just to sit there and never fill up. As far as rank/norank goes, I expect to have both options available for the more standard games (vanilla dip, 1900 map, etc.), with FoW Versailles games or something like that being unranked. Many will most likely also be anonymous countries, though anonymous players doesn't really strike me as feasible, for obvious reasons! I will take requests for specific game options to be offered. I warn you though, the second joker that suggests a gunboat game will be banned from all of these games, forever and ever or until I say so :roll: . Deadlines will be 3/1/1 unless otherwise noted or requested. You can sign up for any game at any time, and if a game to your liking isn't available I will do my best to create on that fits your preferences or otherwise accommodate you as best I can.

So for example, there might be signups for a 3/1/1 norank Versailles game, a 2/1/1 ranked puredip game, a 5/2/2 norank FoW 1900 game all open at the same time, and you would pick out from there what one or ones you wanted to join. If you didn't see anything you liked, then you could pm me or leave a comment on the signup thread asking for whatever type of game it is you're looking for to be set up, and if you're not the only one looking for that or I think there will be interest in it, then I will gladly open signups for it.

When a game has 7 players signed up, I will pm them all informing them the game is ready to start, and confirming the settings. This will be the last chance for any setting to be changed before the game is created, and will require a unanimous or at least 5/7 majorities vote, depending on the change being requested and the vehemence of the argument(s) presented.

I want to make this very clear from the outset, though I will keep a running log of the games being played and finished, this isn't a tournament of any kind, or even a league like the classicists have. This is just a series of games aimed at having fun, and also to give some of us that talk a lot but don't have the rating to show for it a chance to play with others of our kin. It might be cool to have some kind of "champion" like the Classicists league has at the end of the year if this idea gets off the ground, but that's well in the future. I genuinely have no idea how well this idea will fare, especially with the PlayDip Elite Tournament running and so many top communicators tied up with that (as they should be!), but I know there must be some others out there desperately in search of fun, challenging games, and this promises to be a great way to find them if it does get off the ground. And if anyone's seen me trying to get a live game started, then you know I'll advertise relentlessly until it does, so you might as well give in now ;)

Any questions, comments, or requests can be left in the comments or sent to me by pm, and I will do my best to respond as quickly as I can. Signups will be handled in a separate post for ease of organization.

*Is this fair? Probably not. But the point of the series is that it's all people that communicate well, or at least a lot, and if I've never played with you than I have no way of knowing if you aren't qualified yet in regards to games finished. If I don't know you and nobody I know will vouch for you though, you're more than welcome to start your own game and try to fill it with Star Ambassadors. I encourage it, even. And I mean that in all sincerity.
Last edited by Nanook on 11 Mar 2015, 05:08, edited 2 times in total.
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

Admin
Nanook

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1209)
All-game rating: (1413)
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: Games with lots of comms are funner, and that's just sci

Postby Otherwise » 04 Mar 2015, 00:31

You're a great writer, Nanook! And have great taste in music, too.

Set it up! Set it up! Well, maybe in two days? Or three? I'll go back to PMs so I don't spam so much while you're setting it up.

I just wanted to say, that they ARE funner, and even funnerer than the funnererest ones I've played.

Yay!

-Bbbumpy
Last edited by Otherwise on 04 Mar 2015, 02:38, edited 1 time in total.
Otherwise

Standard rating: (1118)
All-game rating: (1142)
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby jakofipa » 04 Mar 2015, 01:07

I would really be interested in this, but I seem to have lost my Star ambassador statuses due to being rather busy a month or so ago...

If anyone want's to vouch for my amazing talking skills I would be very happy! If not, I shall just keep babbling til I recover my true status ;)
Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Bronze member of the Classicist club
Member of the Students club
jakofipa
Premium Member

Standard rating: 982
All-game rating: 989
Timezone: GMT

Postby Carebear » 04 Mar 2015, 02:39

Apparently, I have not played enough games yet to even be considered for SPAM Ambassador. :cry:
You can have my last supply center, when you pry it from my cold dead hands.

Spam Ambassador Wannabe

Officially Sanctioned Site Gadfly (meaning the negative kind of sanction)
Carebear

Standard rating: (1573)
All-game rating: (1589)
Timezone: GMT+8

Postby lecrae » 04 Mar 2015, 03:10

I would be more than happy to play in this sort of thing, the only problem is, I'm not a premium member, so I can't do some of the variants.
lecrae

Standard rating: (1262)
All-game rating: (1305)

Postby Nanook » 04 Mar 2015, 03:15

Carebear wrote:Apparently, I have not played enough games yet to even be considered for SPAM Ambassador. :cry:

Carebear, you're welcome to play any of these games you wish to. I've played with you before and I feel confident saying you'll get there as soon as you have the finished games count, and even if I hadn't, I mean, jeez, how could I say no after seeing your quote?!!

On a separate note, an official sign up thread will be started as soon as I can think of a snappy name for this series
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

Admin
Nanook

Postby Nanook » 04 Mar 2015, 03:16

lecrae wrote:I would be more than happy to play in this sort of thing, the only problem is, I'm not a premium member, so I can't do some of the variants.

I'll make sure to have one available for non-premium members at all or almost all times.
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

Admin
Nanook

Postby IvarGizteb » 04 Mar 2015, 05:28

I just recently made it to Star Ambassador and I'm very interested in this. Most interested in PureDip or Versailles, but I'll take anything that's open (save 1900 or Ancient Med).
IvarGizteb
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1528
All-game rating: 1597

Postby Darkshade » 04 Mar 2015, 05:43

A game for only Star Ambassadors has actually happened before though it was nearly a year ago. I'm sure there have been more since then:

78215. A Star is Born

Probably the second most fun game I've ever played. I think this is a great idea! I don't have the time to take this on right now but if this picks up and becomes a more regular thing, I'd love to join in later.
Darkshade

Standard rating: (1688)
All-game rating: (1683)

Postby Nanook » 04 Mar 2015, 06:00

Darkshade wrote:A game for only Star Ambassadors has actually happened before though it was nearly a year ago. I'm sure there have been more since then:

78215. A Star is Born

Probably the second most fun game I've ever played. I think this is a great idea! I don't have the time to take this on right now but if this picks up and becomes a more regular thing, I'd love to join in later.

I've seen a few get close but not quite be able to make it off the ground, and one or two start too I think, and that was partially the motivation behind this series--I figure if there's some organization behind it and someone willing to coordinate them a little, maybe they'll become more common. That's the hope, anyways.

If it goes well, then there will certainly be a game waiting for you whenever you want it!

Semi-related but not really, the sign up thread has been created: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=48346

If you indicated interest here or through pm in playing sooner rather than later, I encourage you to visit the thread and let me know which game you'd want to play in.
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

Admin
Nanook

Next

Return to Find A Game