Switzerland-1900

Strategy discussions for the 1900 variant.
Forum rules
trategy
In addition to the general Forum Guidelines (see here: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/view ... 30&t=15441), there are additional rules for posting in this forum.
1. Members should not seek advice about an active game they are in.
2. It follows that links, images, game name and/or number should not be added to a post if the game is active.
Posts which refer to a specific situation in an active game, or which link directly to an active game, are subject to editing or removal.

Switzerland-1900

Postby NiccolosApprentice » 30 Jul 2015, 05:25

I've played a couple games of this variant. Both on this site and FTF, and some of the most interesting discussions take place regarding Switzerland.

In the FTF game, I was playing as England, and I was having a little discussion with Austria about juggernauts and their effect on Austrian longevity, when we noticed that Italy, France and Germany were arguing about who should get Switzerland.

Italy claimed it because it bordered Milan, and there were so few alternative neutrals for it to claim.
France wasn't having any of it. Someone must have put it in his head that Italians in Switerzland mean Italians next to Marseille (teehee).
Germany, was especially greedy and wanted four builds on the first turn. He probably just wanted to be the ally of choice, and support his favourite into Switzerland, but he never got that opportunity.

At this time Austria and I came over and offered our services as mediators. Germany was annoyed but France and Italy accepted so he had to too.

I asked who each power who they wanted to see the least in Switzerland and to no ones surprise Italy said France and France said Italy. Germany who was pretty pleased with himself and thought sure of getting it said France.
Well this set the French off, and they were ready to jump in my boat for an alliance against Germany, when Italy said that he wouldn't support Germany into Switzerland either, because he feared Germany getting too strong.

It was at this time that Austria spoke up and said that he could take it.
This caused a great deal of commotion from the other players. But Austria calmly responded that if the other players supported him into Switzerland it would ensure that no other player got it.
Italy was against the suggesting at first because he feared for Milan but Austria asked why it would try for Milan when it had a better chance with Switzerland. If that was what the powers wanted.

So begrudgingly they agreed to it. France seemed the happiest about the arrangement. They arranged s three way bounce out of Munich, Marseille and Milan, and in the fall all three supported Austria into Switzerland.

Eventually France kicked Austria out, but Austria never attacked out of Switzerland. And generally just held the unit.
The game ended up being a four way draw between Germany, England, Austria and Italy. I was close to a win but had overstretched myself. The best FTF game I've had (at least with that variant).

Anyway my discussion topic is; who do you think should get Switzerland in the first turn?
And who is the best alternative if to get Switzerland if it seems highly unlikely that you will?
NiccolosApprentice

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (924)
All-game rating: (1076)
Timezone: GMT-7

Re: Switzerland-1900

Postby Gavrilo Princip » 30 Jul 2015, 06:25

I think I should get Switzerland on the first turn. It just makes sense, don't you think?
~Gavrilo Princip
Silver Classicist
Gavrilo Princip
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1183)
All-game rating: (1240)
Timezone: GMT-8

Re: Switzerland-1900

Postby ExiledAtHome » 23 Aug 2015, 19:47

Indeed, Switzerland raises all sorts of issues, especially for France and Italy.

My general thinking is that the least deserving of Switzerland is Germany, who can almost guarantee three builds in the first year with Belgium, Netherlands, and Denmark.

France, too, has an abundance of options between Morocco, Tripoli, Spain, and Portugal, although some of those are certain to go to England.

Italy is the only power between the three that is a bit more hamstringed, in only having the option of Switzerland, Tripoli, or Greece (but not both Tripoli and Greece). I therefore typically feel that Italy should be able to negotiate with either France or Germany for support into Switzerland in return for cooperation with that power against the other.

Things are a bit more complicated, however, when a German-French alliance emerges in the first year, as neither would then have any interest in seeing Italy take Switzerland, so perhaps in that circumstance they both agree to bounce Italy from Switzerland leaving it neutral through 1901. In fact, in the 1900 Variant, I've often seen Switzerland and/or Tripoli remain neutral for several years as powers continue to block eachother from entry, being unable to adjudicate any single power's "rights" to these hotly contested territories.
Gold Classicist Member
ExiledAtHome

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1385)
All-game rating: (1590)
Timezone: GMT-5

Return to 1900 Strategy