Desert Opening

Strategy discussions for the 1900 variant.
Forum rules
trategy
In addition to the general Forum Guidelines (see here: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/view ... 30&t=15441), there are additional rules for posting in this forum.
1. Members should not seek advice about an active game they are in.
2. It follows that links, images, game name and/or number should not be added to a post if the game is active.
Posts which refer to a specific situation in an active game, or which link directly to an active game, are subject to editing or removal.

Desert Opening

Postby EuropeDomination » 09 May 2013, 21:56

The Desert Opening is an opening that I put to use in a game of 1900 Diplomacy (Still ongoing and I'll tell you when its over so please be careful with your comments moreso than normal).
I gave it this name but am not sure if it already has a different official name.
Basically Britain makes Turkey a large target. They move Gibraltar to MAO and Egypt to Palestine in Spring 1901. In Fall 1901, they move MAO to Egypt and Egypt to East Med or Palestine to Damascus. They work their way up to Damascus and Turkey then take its place of influence in the Balkans.

Pros:
After the 1st few years trust relations with France are much improved than in the start.
You have two corners to expand from.
You can easily take Damascus
Cons:
Requires a lot of trust with France from the beginning.
Egypt is left open to Italy.
Generation 34 (whenever you see this copy and paste it into your sig but add 1 to its total.)

My Don't Backstab Me Policy: Any Backstab on me will lead to me allowing another enemy to completely take over the rest of my SCs while making sure that the stabber gets nothing to little.
EuropeDomination

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (944)
All-game rating: (907)
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: Desert Opening

Postby glacier777 » 09 May 2013, 22:06

So would France be aware of the plan and therefore let you into the MAO? Is it an alliance with another player (Austria/Russia/France) or is it independent and then you hope and alliance with one of those three develops, it sounds great btw.
Back on PlayDip after a 3 year hiatus

Silver member of the Classicists
glacier777

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1264)
All-game rating: (1278)
Timezone: GMT+1

Postby EuropeDomination » 09 May 2013, 22:47

You should always tell France when you are planning on using this opening.
Generation 34 (whenever you see this copy and paste it into your sig but add 1 to its total.)

My Don't Backstab Me Policy: Any Backstab on me will lead to me allowing another enemy to completely take over the rest of my SCs while making sure that the stabber gets nothing to little.
EuropeDomination

Standard rating: (944)
All-game rating: (907)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby sleepyjim » 31 Aug 2014, 22:04

I think it would be very rare that someone playing France would just allow you to take MAO from day one...That is tough.

IMO
Gold Member of The Classicists!

Member of The Oldies!

Solo Win: Water Water Everywhere PBFD

2 Way Draw: 21st Century Diplomacy PBFD
sleepyjim

Standard rating: 1122
All-game rating: 1101
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby IDontPlayThisGame » 13 Mar 2015, 00:37

sleepyjim wrote:I think it would be very rare that someone playing France would just allow you to take MAO from day one...That is tough.

IMO

But of course, considering the French opening in 1900 means that if France moves to MAO with F Brest, they risk losing Brest. They are more likely to move to the English Channel. I could run this as a B/G alliance vs France while England picked up domains Turkey- this seems like a good opening and I will be eager to try it.
I am IDPTG, and IDPTG means me.

Diplomacy wounds run deep, and take forever to heal.
IDontPlayThisGame

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (965)
All-game rating: (1086)
Timezone: GMT

Return to 1900 Strategy