The Teachers sub-forum

Information on how to set up games for class-based projects.

Re: The Teachers sub-forum

Postby super_dipsy » 03 Oct 2017, 07:53

Sorry, just my crappy memory - apologies Chris. Thanks WHS for covering :D
super_dipsy
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1000
All-game rating: 931
Timezone: GMT

Postby chris.bodenstein » 03 Oct 2017, 07:55

That looks great!

Thanks a lot!
chris.bodenstein

Postby chris.bodenstein » 08 Nov 2017, 08:45

Hello,

I think I screwed up our game (135473).

I wanted to swap two players (Austria and Germany) and I thought I could use the Fast Track option to do that.

Apparently, I can't, as the game is now in a state of waiting confirmation for players and the players are in there twice.
(Yes, I know I shouldn't have tried twice in the first place).

Is there anyway to get the game back to its previous state or should I just create a new game and have the moves played again until the current situation (was retreat Fall 1901).

Thanks for your help!

Christopher
chris.bodenstein

Postby super_dipsy » 08 Nov 2017, 08:51

I'll see what I can do. The Teacher Fast Track facility is only for STARTING games! To replace players, you would need to log in as that player, Surrender, then log in as your new player, then join with that ID.
super_dipsy
Premium Member

Postby super_dipsy » 08 Nov 2017, 09:11

OK, I have done what I can. I had to guess what players you wanted in the game from the long list! But at least now if you want to switch them around you can by surrendering and joining as I said earlier. There is of course another alternative - just give the passwords to the current playing accounts to the new players!
super_dipsy
Premium Member

Postby chris.bodenstein » 08 Nov 2017, 09:57

Thanks a lot!

My first idea was actually to have Germany and Austria surrender and then join as the other power.
But, when I surrendered Germany, there was a message saying you can't join the game again, so I thought I should rather try the fast track option.

So, if I understand correctly, I can surrender Germany and Austria and then have the ex-austrian player join as Germany?

Many thanks anyway!

Christopher
chris.bodenstein

Postby super_dipsy » 08 Nov 2017, 11:23

chris.bodenstein wrote:But, when I surrendered Germany, there was a message saying you can't join the game again, so I thought I should rather try the fast track option.

Ah. That should really be changed.

It is certainly true that for many years the rules were if you leave a game you cannot rejoin. However, for exactly the sort of situations as this it was changed a couple of years ago so that in Schools and Friends games you CAN rejoin. But the Surrender message never changed. It should point out now that the restriction on rejoining is only for rank and norank games, not for friends and schools ones. Sorry about that.

Let me know if you have any other probs.
super_dipsy
Premium Member

Postby chris.bodenstein » 08 Nov 2017, 12:54

Thanks again!

There is one more thing, it seems I forgot the password I set up for the game and I (obviously) need it for the players to rejoin the game.

Can I find or reset the password somewhere?

I'll definitely write it down this time!

Thanks again for your help!

Christopher
chris.bodenstein

Postby chris.bodenstein » 08 Nov 2017, 16:28

Oh yes, by the way, I noticed that the ex-Austrian player could only join the game as Austria, even though Germany is also surrendered.

Not a problem, since I just created another user (but now I'm stuck with the password issue), but I thought you might want to know...
chris.bodenstein

Postby super_dipsy » 08 Nov 2017, 16:33

Ah, yes, that has to stay. The allowing schools / friends game players to rejoin was to cover things like accidentally forgetting to order and getting surrendered, or accisentally clicking surrender. But we NEVER let a player come into a game as a different country. That would totally defeat the object of the game - if you can see the messages between other powers when you have already seen them as one power then that completely destroys the concept of negotiations and manipulations :)

I will PM you the game password.
super_dipsy
Premium Member

PreviousNext

Return to For Teachers