The Teachers sub-forum

Information on how to set up games for class-based projects.

Re: The Teachers sub-forum

Postby Aladel » 21 Apr 2019, 08:28

Then rejoined, and I changed both email and the password but they suspect it might not help... They feel someone kept the site logged. Anyway they will change the name as well.
Aladel

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1045)
All-game rating: (1045)
Timezone: GMT+1

Postby jimlacey1 » 31 Jul 2019, 23:27

I was hoping to start four games for 28 students at the same time -- I have three up and waiting for student confirms. Is there any way to start a fourth game before one of the others goes live?
jimlacey1

Postby super_dipsy » 01 Aug 2019, 07:23

jimlacey1 wrote:I was hoping to start four games for 28 students at the same time -- I have three up and waiting for student confirms. Is there any way to start a fourth game before one of the others goes live?

OK, you should be able to start the other game now. I've enabled Teachers to be allowed to create more than 3 Schools games now.
super_dipsy
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1000
All-game rating: 931
Timezone: GMT

Postby jimlacey1 » 16 Aug 2019, 02:22

A student has finalized his move prior to making any move inputs... is there a way to reverse that?

159490 - WPS GAME 3 WPS 20 Turkey

Thanks
jimlacey1

Postby WHSeward » 16 Aug 2019, 02:54

If the turn has not executed, the player can just enter their moves. They will automatically be "unfinalized".

If the turn has already executed, there isn't realistically a way to re-run the turn.

EDIT: I just checked, they have entered their moves now, so they are fine.
"As a general truth, communities prosper and flourish, or droop and decline, in just the degree that they practice or neglect to practice the primary duties of justice and humanity." WHS

A member of the Classicists.

Ask me about mentor games. Send me a PM or post in the Mentoring forum.
WHSeward
Site Admin
Site Admin

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1633)
All-game rating: (1647)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby jimlacey1 » 19 Aug 2019, 05:20

As the teacher --- can I change deadlines for student games?

If the deadline passes and there are students who still need to finalize does the game just hold until everyone moves... or does it process automatically? If the latter can i stop it.

Any reason i am seeing deadlines of two-days or less when i set the games to seven days for moves?

Thanks
jimlacey1

Postby super_dipsy » 19 Aug 2019, 06:57

jimlacey1 wrote:As the teacher --- can I change deadlines for student games?

No, you cannot change deadlines once the game is started. A Moderator can change them for you though.

jimlacey1 wrote:If the deadline passes and there are students who still need to finalize does the game just hold until everyone moves... or does it process automatically? If the latter can i stop it.

No you cannot stop it. As the Teacher you can force a deadline to move, but you cannot stop it. Again, if you need to extend a deadline for some reason you can ask a Mod to do it, but this should be rare.

jimlacey1 wrote:Any reason i am seeing deadlines of two-days or less when i set the games to seven days for moves?

I suspect you may have made a mistake setting the game up. Remember that you must specify the deadlines for Orders, Retreats and Builds. So if you have 7 days for orders but only 2 days for Retreats or Builds, then although the main Orders phase will be 7 days the other phases will be only 2 days. The only ways a deadlline can be shorter than you specify are a) because you forced the deadline from the Teachers page or b) all the active players finalized their moves. Note that if you want to stop players finalizing, you can set your game up and tick the 'Fixed Deadlines Only' box which means players do not have the option to finalize their moves.
super_dipsy
Premium Member

Postby jimlacey1 » 21 Aug 2019, 18:22

Thank you for your previous answers.

I have a new problem --- I have four student games ongoing... and three of them skipped the fall 1901 turn and went right to Spring 1902.

Questions... can the games be rolled back or restarted?

Would it be better to cancel all four games and do a restart? ---- This time I will take a student slot to see what they see.

Or is it easier to abandon these games and start new ones?

Is there a guide for new persons for online playing that I can give to students?

Sorry to be a pest... but when i get this right I hope to make it an annual school event

Here is a picture of what I am seeing:

https://jimlacey4.wixsite.com/war-strategy/diplmacy-picture
jimlacey1

Postby super_dipsy » 21 Aug 2019, 19:17

If you click GUIDES on the Home Page you get various guides. But to be perfectly honest, that is why we recommend Teachers play a game or two on Playdip first. Then you can give the students a crash course in what to do and how to do it.

There is no way to roll a game back. If you want to kill it and start another one, just get everyone to agree a draw.
super_dipsy
Premium Member

Postby jimlacey1 » 21 Aug 2019, 19:23

Thanks --- I really wanted to play a game or two first... but could not find any faculty members to accommodate me... So I had to take the risk... Live and learn.

I assume that when the students all agree to a draw...that we can restart the same games.

If not, I will start new ones.

I am going to grab several students and use WPS 5 for a quick onsite game and see how this all works...

Thanks for your help

Jim
jimlacey1

PreviousNext

Return to For Teachers