The Teachers sub-forum

Information on how to set up games for class-based projects.

The Teachers sub-forum

Postby rick.leeds » 12 Jun 2014, 08:52

We're very proud that a number of schools that have used PlayDip in the past to support their teaching. A while ago we created the Schools class of game and, much more recently, we have created the Teachers system which allows teachers to create accounts for their students to use in class-based Schools games. Hopefully this will help teachers create accounts and games with ease :)

Schools games can be set up by anyone, of course. Our Mentors use them to introduce new members of the site to online Diplomacy and I know some members set up Schools games rather than Friends games themselves. However, the Schools class of game was created to allow teachers to use the site for teaching purposes - I am amazed at the number of different aspects teachers have used Diplomacy to support!

Schools games are different from every other class of game we have on the site. They have a non-playing member, known as the Teacher. This is the member who created the game, The Teacher can see all messages sent between powers, can see and write in Public Press and has the authority to delete messages from Public Press. In effect, therefore, the Teacher is a moderator for each individual game.

Now, teachers can create the Schools accounts they want to use themselves. They do this by opening the TEACHERS tab on the games site and registering. Once registered they can create up to 35 accounts, in batches of seven. If more accounts are required this can be requested.

The difference between these accounts and regular accounts is that they have limits. Schools accounts can only access Schools games. They have no access to the Forum. However, they are also exempt from any cheating investigation and will not be linked to any other accounts on site. They don't require email verification and, in fact, have no email associated with them. If a student wishes to receive email notifications for their games, they can add an email through the MY ACCOUNT section.

Teachers can request a list of accounts and passwords associated with the school they registered by email. This means that, should a student change a password or forget it and NOT access the site, you can get a list!

The other advantage of this is that, because Schools accounts are now completely separate from the site, should students wish to play more games they can create their own personal account. This account will act like any other accounts and will not affect the Schools account the teacher created.

The Teachers sub-forum has been created for those members who use the site in their teaching. We look forward to receiving any feedback on the system. We also hope you might share your ideas for using Diplomacy to further learning and your successes.
World Diplomacy Forum.
Online Resources editor at the Diplomatic Pouch.
Don't let the stepladder get you. Watch where you're stepping. ANY step could be a doozy.
rick.leeds

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1158)
All-game rating: (1070)
Timezone: GMT

Re: The Teachers sub-forum

Postby DiplomacyDayM » 09 Oct 2014, 20:08

I made a mistake on deadlines and finalization setting up some games. How can I change deadlines, if at all?

If not, how does one delete a game (it has not started yet)?

These are teacher-student games that have not started yet...
DiplomacyDayM
Premium Member

All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby DiplomacyDayM » 13 Oct 2014, 01:24

You must supply the number of a game you have already created

I tried to FAST TRACK the school game and I entered the game #, but got the above message

:(

HELP
DiplomacyDayM
Premium Member

Postby MisterJax » 27 Nov 2014, 12:04

Hello, I would like an authorization number to register as a teacher. I am eager to set up a school game for use with my strategy gaming class. (Yes, such a thing exists at my school!)
Thank you.
MisterJax

Timezone: GMT+3

Postby Dorian » 10 Dec 2014, 16:59

Anyone interested in using this to organize a school tournament? I have a high school team that is eager to play other schools. St. John's college in Johannesburg, South Africa. The way I see it a team could be seven players, seven schools ...
Dorian

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (979)
All-game rating: (980)
Timezone: GMT+2

Moderator Help

Postby DiplomacyDayM » 02 Jan 2015, 18:06

I am starting up 18 school games (they are just now active) and need the deadline for first moves pushed back to Tuesday January 6th (about noon is fine, or whatever times the games are already set as).

Is their a moderator out there who can help me?

If yes, do you need the game numbers?

Whatever information you need I will provide.

No one has put in moves yet.
DiplomacyDayM
Premium Member

Postby super_dipsy » 02 Jan 2015, 22:04

I am not even going to ask how you managed to start 18 games before anyone was ready to play them :shock:

I have moved the dates.
super_dipsy
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1000)
All-game rating: (931)
Timezone: GMT

Postby DiplomacyDayM » 03 Jan 2015, 01:39

Thanks

I give the students their info Monday at school, so moves due Tuesday!

Thanks
DiplomacyDayM
Premium Member

Postby TheSwami » 05 Feb 2015, 23:32

I would like to set-up Diplomacy for my classroom. Please advise.
TheSwami

Timezone: GMT-6

Postby WHSeward » 06 Feb 2015, 00:55

bswanson wrote:I would like to set-up Diplomacy for my classroom. Please advise.

Taken to PM.
"As a general truth, communities prosper and flourish, or droop and decline, in just the degree that they practice or neglect to practice the primary duties of justice and humanity." WHS

A member of the Classicists.

Ask me about mentor games. Send me a PM or post in the Mentoring forum.
WHSeward
Site Admin
Site Admin

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1633)
All-game rating: (1647)

Next

Return to For Teachers