Password Reset for Student Accounts (fixed AGAIN!)

Information on how to set up games for class-based projects.

Password Reset for Student Accounts (fixed AGAIN!)

Postby APU_IR » 02 Dec 2018, 23:55

Sadly, it seems the option to get all passwords emailed to the teacher has been removed. Can someone inform me of the new procedure for reseting all the passwords and email addresses of the student accounts? I am not in the EU if it makes any difference.
APU_IR
Premium Member

Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT+9

Re: Password Reset for Student Accounts

Postby super_dipsy » 03 Dec 2018, 08:12

Yes, unfortunately we can thank the dear old EU for that :( . GDPR legislation means that you aren't aloud to do that sort of thing any more.

There are a number of options of how to proceed. If you have forgotten what all the accounts are, I can send you that info. If you want to set new passwords on the account, you can do that for each account with the Forgot Password option on the login page - sadly you would have to log in to each one in turn to reset them all. If you want to change the email addresses on the accounts, you will have to go into each account and go to the My Account page to change it (don;t forget to put the password in when you update the email).

Alternatively if it is simple, such as you want to set the same email address for all or them or something, I could do that for you manually. Sorry about this, but as I say, GDPR is pretty unforgiving. A terrible piece of legislation in my opinion.
super_dipsy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1000)
All-game rating: (956)
Timezone: GMT

Postby super_dipsy » 03 Dec 2018, 08:14

Actually, an alternative is to just create a new set of student accounts!
super_dipsy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby duckling » 03 Dec 2018, 12:14

If it’s the clear text transfer of the password list that is the problem, would it be possibe to leave the list in a PM for the teacher instead?
duckling
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1142
All-game rating: 1186
Timezone: GMT+1

Postby super_dipsy » 04 Dec 2018, 07:00

duckling wrote:If it’s the clear text transfer of the password list that is the problem, would it be possibe to leave the list in a PM for the teacher instead?

I have responded more fully in PM, duckling.
super_dipsy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby APU_IR » 07 Dec 2018, 07:18

Thank you for the info. I will give it a go for now and see how I end up. I have a file with all the account names and former passwords, though it is possible that the students changed the password and email addresses to personalize their notifications and experience. In that case, I might just create new accounts and let the students keep them each year I teach the course.
APU_IR
Premium Member

Postby super_dipsy » 07 Dec 2018, 07:59

I've just thought of a way around this. It will require more code though so it wont be available immediately.

The best approach is that you can use the same page to generate users as you used the first time - we can even populate it with all your student names. Npw you can simply fill in your own passwords and emails as you wish and instead of creating new ones we can just overwrite the passwords and email addresses to your choice. This gets around the GDPR issue because you are never shown what the student may have entered.

If you hold fir on the manual thing, It shouldn't take more than a few days to fix it.
super_dipsy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby APU_IR » 07 Dec 2018, 14:09

Anything that makes my life easier will make me happy. So, if I understand correctly, once you get up and running, you want me to send you the list of accounts, names of students, email addresses, and passwords? Then you could just populate the list with the emails and passwords and such. This way, I won't actually receive the student's passwords and can just overwrite the passwords each year. Do I understand correctly?
APU_IR
Premium Member

Postby super_dipsy » 07 Dec 2018, 16:55

APU_IR wrote:Anything that makes my life easier will make me happy. So, if I understand correctly, once you get up and running, you want me to send you the list of accounts, names of students, email addresses, and passwords? Then you could just populate the list with the emails and passwords and such. This way, I won't actually receive the student's passwords and can just overwrite the passwords each year. Do I understand correctly?

Not quite. You know how when you first created your accounts you did so via a list from the Teachers Page? What I am planning is that if you wish you can also use the same page to ask it to populate your already existing userids. Then you can simply fill in whatever passwords and emails you want, just as you did when you created them.
super_dipsy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby APU_IR » 08 Dec 2018, 06:55

I think I understand. I have a huge number of student accounts, though. Right now the list only has 7 on that page. Hopefully it will have a high limit and scroll? Regardless, I am sure we will figure it out.
APU_IR
Premium Member

Next

Return to For Teachers