GRAND TOURNAMENT - Trash Talk

4-qualifying rounds and a Final Board. TD: rick.leeds

Re: GRAND TOURNAMENT - Trash Talk

Postby Fatmo » 02 Oct 2013, 00:37

Wow, I'm in eighth place? That's pretty good, especially considering the fact that TwoAngryFigs was eliminated when he played England. Can't complain about that. Funny that the two players I drew with in my one game have all ended up within three places of me.

I know the rules say that no player will play another given player more than twice, but does every player (or in my case every player slot) get to play every other player at least once in qualifying? I would hope so, as there are a few players I'd love to play that Figs and I have not yet come up against in this tournament.

Oh, and presser, I'm pretty sure I remember that it was stvr1050 that Jen replaced. I sort of took on the roll of looking out for surrenders in these games and alerting Pedros so he could find replacements quickly, as opposed to random people stumbling into these games, which seemed to happen in one of them. I remember stvr1050 in particular because I was kind of looking forward to playing him again.

+1 imaginary karma to presser for taking the time and working this all out. It's cool to see the approximate standings.
You don't know what I'm thinking...because I don't know what I'm doing.

Conq wrote:Fatmo — you are a relentless mountain stream, ever-flowing, slowly but surely carving away at the rock face below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjEgjTfcEJk
Fatmo

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1089)
All-game rating: (1050)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby gsmx » 02 Oct 2013, 01:29

Fatmo wrote:I know the rules say that no player will play another given player more than twice, but does every player (or in my case every player slot) get to play every other player at least once in qualifying? I would hope so, as there are a few players I'd love to play that Figs and I have not yet come up against in this tournament.

You're gunnin' for me, aren't ya? ;)

It's not really a sure thing, there's 4 rounds in the qualifying stage and 5 games in each so you'll only going to be playing 80% of the other players.
The first quality that is needed is audacity.
gsmx

Standard rating: (2097)
All-game rating: (2475)

Postby Fatmo » 02 Oct 2013, 02:08

gsmx wrote:You're gunnin' for me, aren't ya?

It's not really a sure thing, there's 4 rounds in the qualifying stage and 5 games in each so you'll only going to be playing 80% of the other players.

Oh, you are certainly on the list of players I'd like to come across again. I love a good alliance and a good fight, and I know from past experience that you can supply both ;) . I'll take you down to Chinatown if you wanna rumble again :) .

Of the others I've played before (and who Figs and I have not played in the tournament), I'd love to get another shot at Dukevongoblin, bitwise, and/or Thyrfing, plus a few more.

If I end up in another game with bitwise, past history favors one of us. Either he or I have soloed each of the three games we've played (two to one in his favor).

Of course, I've not played against most people here, and I look forward to encountering some of you.

Conq wrote:Fatmo — you are a relentless mountain stream, ever-flowing, slowly but surely carving away at the rock face below.

Fatmo

Postby Dukevongoblin » 02 Oct 2013, 10:02

Netr0 wrote:
presser84 wrote:
Netr0 wrote:Ya... France in my game threw the game in 1911 to get more cores... Giving Russia 18 cores on spring of 1912 :(

I had already projected a Russian solo for that game in my sheet from about Fall 1909. :/

It was possible to hold Russia to 16 or 17 cores by the end of 1912 if France thought about the future.

presser84 wrote:I saw that but I was just going on my own implied "diplomatic flow"

That's a very polite way of putting it - the only other player to engage with this game , particularly in the latter stages, was Bitwise, and once he was dispatched, there was no way anyone else stood a chance of, or expressed a desire to, coordinate the rest of the board against me. I'm not sure the finger can be pointed so heartily at France in this game - By 1910 I think I would have done the same as him and gone for as many SC's as possible, at least that was the outlook I was encouraging him to have! :mrgreen: :twisted:
Platinum Classicist: Does that make me obsessive?
Dukevongoblin

Standard rating: (1196)
All-game rating: (1158)
Timezone: GMT

Postby presser84 » 05 Oct 2013, 02:15

So, is rick still running this or has Pedro taken it over completely?

The reason I ask is that, depending on how much longer this goes before round 4 starts, there is a chance that I will need a sub for rounds 4 and (potentially) 5. If that's the case, since I am voluntarily requesting the sub, would I be allowed to hand pick them or would it default to the players on the reserve list?
Westeros Diplomacy - GM/creator
Diplomacy of Ice and Fire 2 - GM
Keirador wrote:Stop being a dickasaurus rex.
presser84

Standard rating: (1460)
All-game rating: (1678)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Netr0 » 05 Oct 2013, 02:56

presser84 wrote:So, is rick still running this or has Pedro taken it over completely?

The reason I ask is that, depending on how much longer this goes before round 4 starts, there is a chance that I will need a sub for rounds 4 and (potentially) 5. If that's the case, since I am voluntarily requesting the sub, would I be allowed to hand pick them or would it default to the players on the reserve list?

The tourney would be a joke if the top ranked player is replaced by a sub who loses the last game and still gets first ;p. I would imagine so that you could handpick a sub. Call it a team effort rather than someone you don't know taking over your place.
If you can, win.
If you can't, draw.
If you stab, succeed.
Netr0

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1315)
All-game rating: (1649)
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby Niakan » 05 Oct 2013, 09:21

ahem

The, you know, rules: wrote:I. SUBSTITUTES/RESERVES
(a) Should a player require a substitute for a period in a game or games, s/he is responsible for finding the substitute.
(b) A substitute may not be:
- playing in ANY other game ON SITE in which the player is involved (as per site rules);
- be playing in the Torunament;
- a player who has resigned from the Tournament WITHOUT THE PERMISSION OF THE TD.
(c) A reserve may be asked to substitute.
(d) If a player cannot find a temporary substitute, s/he may ask for a delay in deadlines (see above) but, failing this or, by preference, may request the TD to substitute for ONE TURN (movement/retreats/builds) only. Should the TD substitute, the player must provide details of alliances and include provisional orders for moves, retreats and builds/disbandments. The TD will not carry out any diplomacy on behalf of the player. In this scenario, the TD will not amend any movement orders. The TD would approach the game as if not knowing the player assignments in the game and not allow the inside knowledge of the game to affect orders.
(e) Should a substitute be required for longer than one turn, the TD would issue HOLD orders for subsequent turns.
(f) The TD will maintain a list of reserves to replace players who resign from the Tournament/
(g) If a reserve agrees to substitute for a player, s/he may still subsequently replace a player in the Tournament.
Face-to-face organizer of Diplomacy games in New York City.
My Twitch Channel
My YouTube Channel
My current Mafia game
Niakan

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (949)
All-game rating: (1017)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Fatmo » 13 Oct 2013, 01:56

Man, I'm loving watching Game 3 unfold. Good stuff people.

Last two small powers have been eliminated, and now it's down to the big three left. One of my favorite parts of some endgames is when it finally gets down to the final three when all powers have really carved out a solid place for themselves and no one is really close to a solo yet, as in this game.

I'm really looking forward to seeing some AARs for this one, though it may still be far from over as long as at least one player wants to keep playing it out. I don't see anyone trying to call it a day yet in the Public Press.

Keep it up. I am entertained as a spectator. :D

Fatmo

Postby bitwise » 19 Oct 2013, 19:27

Dukevongoblin wrote:
Netr0 wrote:
presser84 wrote:
I had already projected a Russian solo for that game in my sheet from about Fall 1909. :/

It was possible to hold Russia to 16 or 17 cores by the end of 1912 if France thought about the future.

presser84 wrote:I saw that but I was just going on my own implied "diplomatic flow"

That's a very polite way of putting it - the only other player to engage with this game , particularly in the latter stages, was Bitwise, and once he was dispatched, there was no way anyone else stood a chance of, or expressed a desire to, coordinate the rest of the board against me. I'm not sure the finger can be pointed so heartily at France in this game - By 1910 I think I would have done the same as him and gone for as many SC's as possible, at least that was the outlook I was encouraging him to have! :mrgreen: :twisted:

Thanks for the kind words, Duke, but I have to add that it was a well deserved win for you. I suspect that you wrote about as many messages as the rest of the board combined. Nobody wanted to talk with me, at least not seriously, so you remained my best option for an ally even after the stab, which you rightfully took advantage of repeatedly. Didnt help my cause much that Imistook you for YSMan. :shock:
bitwise
Elite Sponsor
Elite Sponsor

Standard rating: (1002)
All-game rating: (1299)
Timezone: GMT+1

Postby gsmx » 27 Oct 2013, 19:57

Game 3 is FINALLY over!! Was draining to say the least, will be interesting to see if round 4 ever makes it off the ground.
The first quality that is needed is audacity.
gsmx

Standard rating: (2097)
All-game rating: (2475)

PreviousNext

Return to Grand Tournament 2