GRAND TOURNAMENT - Trash Talk

4-qualifying rounds and a Final Board. TD: rick.leeds

GRAND TOURNAMENT - Trash Talk

Postby gsmx » 02 Jul 2013, 19:37

Now that first couple rounds are over i figure we need an outlet to get a little healthy dialogue and trash talk going. I'll get the ball rolling.

Let's take a look at some results..
rick.leeds wrote:
Code: Select all
                                            MTS SCORING                    Positional Scoring
Pos Player                   Round 1  Round 2  Round 3  Round 4  Total     Points (lower is better)
 1. Presser84                  9.8     27.7                      18.75      1
 2. Zefrog                    29.5     -7                        11.25      7
 3. gsmx                       7.9      9.1                       8.5       3
 4. Parmesan                   5.8     10                         7.9       2
 5. Netr0                     -1.5     12                         5.25      4
 6. Dukevongoblin              3.8      3.7                       3.75      5
 7. rshivy                     2        5.1                       3.55      5
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 8. Lucifers_Hammer            7.9     -0.9                       3.5       7

Actually pretty shock I managed to squeeze my way up to 3rd place considering i took over some positions from Petunia (thanks for letting me run with it!). Hopefully I'll do better next time once I'm able to take the game from the beginning. Did the best i could with what i was given

Presser84 - Ok i'll give it to ya, that's quite the killer start. Let's see if you can keep it up now that a few sharks have been thrown into the pool. Me and Parmesan will both be gunning for ya and who knows what surprises come out of this round of replacements.
Zefrog- No idea who you are, but you're on my radar now. :twisted:
Parmesan - I had a feeling that was you who took over in Round 1/Game 5!! Shame on you for not seeing the game through, we'll meet again!!!!
Netr0 - I think you and Hammer need a rematch someday. Good to see you get that solo, i know it was after 1912 but some good competition in that one.
Duke - I know you got that killer instinct in ya. I'll be rooting for ya to get back in touch with it and chew on some victims bones in the coming rounds!
rshivy - Guessing your the guy about to win the game still going. Also on my radar!
Lucifers_Hamster - So close to being relevant! ;)

Good luck in Round 3 everybody!!
The first quality that is needed is audacity.
gsmx

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (2097)
All-game rating: (2475)
Timezone: GMT-8

Re: GRAND TOURNAMENT - Trash Talk

Postby gsmx » 02 Jul 2013, 20:19

And can everybody please stop demanding a draw as soon as Spring 1913 rolls around. They're still ranked games after-all so should be given a little bit of respect in that sense. It's supposed to be a Grand Tournament, if you have to keep both carrots in your mind then so be it. You should be able to balance both targets into your strategy and ought to be willing to accept that a 1912 stab very well may result in you losing in the end-game and dropping your rank.

Cost of doing business, stop whining.
gsmx

Postby Netr0 » 02 Jul 2013, 20:25

Yes, presser did kick some ass. There was a lot of drama and infighting in that round 1. Some bad decisions made by Italy, who sadly had no real choice but to trust presser. Since if he didn't, he would have been killed on both sides. France as well helped presser get more than 13 cores because of his paranoia of England stabbing him(Which in my pms with LH, we were planning to, but much later). So presser kept gaining cores and then LH stabbed me and presser took berlin/munich giving him 17 in 1911. It was an interesting game.

Round 2 was a bit different. Austria was betrayed for some reason by Italy... One thing I Will not forget is that he said "I took Trieste so you could get tunisia as a trade". This was the end of Italy, as Turkey went in for the final blow while Turkey and I slowly killed Austria in the east. Germany was locked in a dogfight with England. Which lasted long enough for me to snag Munich. By then even peace between England and Germany wouldn't stop me from taking more German cores. I eventually lost Scanadvia due to idiotic decisions and was pushed back to StP. I was able to talk England into peace in the north to counter the Turkish threat. It was then that I decided to stab Turkey because he was about to gain several cores. I was able to prevent him from taking mars. He had a fleet on it but I figured he would send it to spain and send pied into mars. I was right and we bounced and France kept it. I also was able to take Serbia. After that we did some fighting over Turkish homecores and the balkans. But then he NMR'd in spring order... but he did the retreat... Then an NMR in fall and he was out. While this had no effect on my SC count for tourney purposes. It did make it easier to solo afterward. I am positive I would have taken all 3 homecores from Turkey had he not NMR'd. As he had no way to defend them.

I must add that finding out LH was Austria made the solo a bit sweeter.
If you can, win.
If you can't, draw.
If you stab, succeed.
Netr0

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1315)
All-game rating: (1649)
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby Netr0 » 02 Jul 2013, 20:34

In our game the draw offer excuse was that because Turkey quit, we should 4way draw. LH claimed that I had no chance of a solo, but I still believed I would have had he not NMR'd. I saw no reason to draw :and lose rating because of the actions of another.
If you can, win.
If you can't, draw.
If you stab, succeed.
Netr0

Postby Thyrfing » 02 Jul 2013, 21:29

gsmx wrote:
rick.leeds wrote:
Code: Select all
                                            MTS SCORING                    Positional Scoring
Pos Player                   Round 1  Round 2  Round 3  Round 4  Total     Points (lower is better)
 1. Presser84                  9.8     27.7                      18.75      1
 2. Zefrog                    29.5     -7                        11.25      7
 3. gsmx                       7.9      9.1                       8.5       3
 4. Parmesan                   5.8     10                         7.9       2
 5. Netr0                     -1.5     12                         5.25      4
 6. Dukevongoblin              3.8      3.7                       3.75      5
 7. rshivy                     2        5.1                       3.55      5
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 8. Lucifers_Hammer            7.9     -0.9                       3.5       7
 9. Thyrfing                  -1.9      7                         2.55      8

:twisted:

Now seriously though, is this updated? It says it's only based on round 1 results, but has a round 2 column. Last date of edition was 24 april. I'm confused :shock:

R1 I had a great game with Austria and I didn't get any points for it, sucks. All France did was move away from Germany and Italy ended up doing the same. Also I missed a build phase which was sort of my demise :? :oops: :cry:
No whining though, I'll get in the finals, let's get R3-4 going!

R2 with rshivy took me some extra years to solo... so he's getting points and I'm not getting that a lot. This one was a good game, although I felt far more could have come out of it if Austria (I have just seen it was rhsivy) had communicated more than one-lines. I had a good alliance with Germany and stabbed in a very risky moment, I could have easily lost that battle, but I think Germany had some bad tactical decisions and that's why I ended up winning that one.

gsmx wrote:And can everybody please stop demanding a draw as soon as Spring 1913 rolls around. They're still ranked games after-all so should be given a little bit of respect in that sense. It's supposed to be a Grand Tournament, if you have to keep both carrots in your mind then so be it. You should be able to balance both targets into your strategy and ought to be willing to accept that a 1912 stab very well may result in you losing in the end-game and dropping your rank.
Cost of doing business, stop whining.

Couldn't agree more.
And in the disparate clamour of the chaos that surrounds you, it's hard to know which of the voices that you hear are your own.
Thyrfing

Standard rating: (1568)
All-game rating: (1845)
Timezone: GMT+1

Postby rick.leeds » 02 Jul 2013, 22:04

Ah, yes. I updated the table and forgot to change the bit about what Round it was updated to. Sorry. As for the date, that will stay the same as it reflects the date the post was written, not edits.

But you probably already knew that :)
World Diplomacy Forum.
Online Resources editor at the Diplomatic Pouch.
Don't let the stepladder get you. Watch where you're stepping. ANY step could be a doozy.
rick.leeds
Site Admin
Site Admin

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1158)
All-game rating: (1070)
Timezone: GMT

Postby gsmx » 02 Jul 2013, 22:05

Netr0 wrote:In our game the draw offer excuse was that because Turkey quit, we should 4way draw. LH claimed that I had no chance of a solo, but I still believed I would have had he not NMR'd. I saw no reason to draw :and lose rating because of the actions of another.

In GTII R1 G5 once 1913 hit bitwise had started pushing for a draw while me and Parmesan were both working to keep things going. Bitwise ended up threatening to kingmaker whoever refused the draw at which point me and Parmesan kept rejecting each others draw but then proposing our own to force the other person to have to be the bad guy and reap the wrath of bitwise. Admittedly it made perfect sense for bitwise to push for a draw since chances of him surviving the end game amongst a couple of behemoths like us (we were at 11 and 12 while he was at 9 and incredibly vulnerable). It was very disappointing to me when Parmesan ended up passing on the bait and taking the easy draw, even more disappointing since we were both playing with other peoples money (we both were substitutes) and I would have liked to see how things could have played out.

Parms got a higher win rate then me and i only barely edged him out in the Hall of Fame for #3, we'd never competed against each other before this game. Had a good hunch it was him and I was really hoping for a showdown.
gsmx

Postby Netr0 » 02 Jul 2013, 22:33

Aw gsmx. Yea I am sure you regret losing 100rating ;p. Had Parm continued I am sure he feared he would lose if bitwise decided to force action in your favor.
If you can, win.
If you can't, draw.
If you stab, succeed.
Netr0

Postby gsmx » 02 Jul 2013, 22:43

I actually suspect he was bluffing and would have backed whoever gave him the best chance to stay in a draw, but who's to say? Still, with both of us protected due to playing as replacements it would have been fun to see where things went. Another time!
Thyrfing wrote:R2 with rshivy took me some extra years to solo... so he's getting points and I'm not getting that a lot

I stand corrected! Nice solo Thyrfing.
Last edited by gsmx on 02 Jul 2013, 23:46, edited 1 time in total.
gsmx

Postby presser84 » 02 Jul 2013, 22:52

I have checked ricks scoring thus far and it is correct for all participants and up to date for rounds 1 AND 2.

As far as trash talking...I've been just been lucky nothing to see here.
Westeros Diplomacy - GM/creator
Diplomacy of Ice and Fire 2 - GM
Keirador wrote:Stop being a dickasaurus rex.
presser84

Standard rating: (1460)
All-game rating: (1678)
Timezone: GMT-5

Next

Return to Grand Tournament 2