GRAND TOURNAMENT - Rules & Sign-ups.

4-qualifying rounds and a Final Board. TD: rick.leeds

GRAND TOURNAMENT - Rules & Sign-ups.

Postby rick.leeds » 17 Apr 2012, 15:26

So, I was going to take sign-ups back in December and begin this in January. One long break later here it is!

The Grand Tournament is the one that gives PlayDip it's Champion. The current holder is bitwise, who stomped away to victory many months ago. This is tournament is based on the last one, with some slight changes based on my experience of running tournaments.

Rules in the next post, sign-ups the following one.
World Diplomacy Forum.
Online Resources editor at the Diplomatic Pouch.
Don't let the stepladder get you. Watch where you're stepping. ANY step could be a doozy.
rick.leeds
Site Admin
Site Admin

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1158)
All-game rating: (1070)
Timezone: GMT

Re: GRAND TOURNAMENT - Rules.

Postby rick.leeds » 17 Apr 2012, 15:26

A. TERMS DEFINED
1. TOURNAMENT: The combination of the Qualifying Phase and the Final Board.
2. PHASE: There will be two phases: Qualifying will be made up of four rounds; Final Board will take the top seven highest scorers at the end of Qualifying.
3. ROUND: Each part of the Qualifying Phase.
4. PLAYER: A member of the site who signs-up to the tournament.
5. TD: Tournament Director, the member of site who organises and runs the tournament.
6. GAME START PERIOD: The length of time between the setting-up of one game and the setting-up of the next within a season.
7. GAME START: The details sent out by the TD to players for each game. Includes: name, password, assignment.

B. ENTERING THE GRAND TOURNAMENT
To enter the tournament, players must Premium members and commit to playing out the Tournament.
Entrants must sign-up below and must confirm when asked to do so. Confirmation will be sought by Private Message.

C. STRUCTURE
1. Qualifying Phase.
(a) Qualifying will take the form of FOUR Rounds, with players entering one game in each Round.
(b) Round One and Round Two will be played almost simultaneously. There will be a one week Game Start Period between the final game of Round One starting and the Game Starts for Round Two being sent out.
(c) Rounds Three and Four will not start until all games in Rounds One and Two are completed. Rounds Three and Four will then follow the same set-up as Rounds One and Two.
(d) Game Start information will be sent out by PM. It will include:
- the game name and number players are assigned to;
- the password for the game, and
- the power the players have been assigned.
Players must follow the Game Start instructions completely. This will include entering the name of the power assigned in all three preference boxes.
(e) No player will play any other player more than twice in the Qualifying Phase.
(f) No player will play any power more than once in the Qualifying Phase.
(g) Points will be awarded at the end of each game and will be aggregated throughout the four rounds. The top seven scorers when all games of the Qualifying Phase are completed will qualify for the Final Board.

2. Final Board.
(a) The Final Board will be a one-off game.
(b) Unlike the Qualifying games [see below] the Final Board will have no end date.
(c) The winner of the Final Board game will become Grand Champion.
(d) If the Final Board does not result in a solo, points will be scored based on the game result as in Qualifying Games [see below]. These scores will be added to Qualifying Round scores and the aggregate highest scorer will win the Tournament.

D. GAMES
(a) All games will be REGULAR, CLASSIC games.
(b) They will be anonymous.
(c) They will include Finalize, DIAS and Spring 1901 NMR protected.
(d) Games will be ranked.
(e) Deadlines will be 3/1/1.
(f) Games will be played until:
- EITHER a solo victory is obtained,
- OR the end of Retreats 1915 (should a game reach this stage, players can continue playing, but it will be scored for Tournament purposes as if a draw had been accepted then).
NB: The Final Board will NOT have a prescribed end date.
(g) Should a game require re-starting because of a Spring 1901 NMR, the player who was removed will be eliminated from the Tournament. If a replacement can be found within a week, the game will be re-started as a seven player game. If a replacement cannot be found, then the game will be re-set with the original players LESS THE REMOVED PLAYER with the TD playing the power and holding it in Civil Disorder. The game will become No Rank. Tournament points will be awarded as specified below regardless.
(h) Players may request one delay in Game Start Periods by contacting the TD.
(i) Players may request one delay in deadlines per game by contacting the TD. This is meant to prevent the need to surrender or find a substitute unnecessarily.
(j) Unless requested otherwise, the game map/icon will be the site default.

E. SCORING
(a) There will be two scoring systems. The principal system will be the site rankings system.
(b) Should points be equal, tie will be broken using the Pos238S system (explained below).
(c) Points will be scored in all Qualifying games and aggregated.
(d) Should a game end with no resolution after Fall Retreats 1915, all surviving players will be adjudged to have been part of a draw and points awarded appropriately for principal system. For the Pos238S system, supply centre ownership will be calculated on results at the end of Fall Retreats 1915.
(e) Points will only be scored in the Final Board if a draw is declared, in which case points will be scored as in the Qualifying games.
(f) If players are tied on both the principal and Pos238S systems, ties will be broken based on the following hierarchy:
- Number of solo victories.
- Number of first places (places are based on SC count at the end of the game), second places, etc.

F. ANONYMITY
(a) Players must ensure that they remain anonymous whilst the game they are playing is underway. Players are also forbidden to explicitly claim a false identity in a game.
(b) Should a bug or something similar cause players to seek technical support from Admin, they should PM the TD to report it.
(c) Should anonymity rules be broken whilst a game is underway, players are expected to report this to the TD, who will investigate and assess the breach.
(d) Deliberate revelation of a player's identity will result in a penalty (see Section K below).
(e) Should a player reveal her/his identity accidentally (as deemed by the TD only) no penalty will be handed down. This includes another entrant being able to work out the player's identity and/or revealing that to others.
(f) Players may not use the Forum to speculate about identities, as this breaks site rules.

G. SURRENDERING FROM A GAME
(a) Should a player surrender from a game, voluntarily or through automatic surrender following NMRs, whilst active in the game (having units on the board) the player will be removed from the tournament.
(b) A player who needs to surrender for a reason should notify the TD who will attempt to find a replacement.
(c) Should the TD be unable to find a replacement, the power will continue in Civil Disorder. The game will still count towards the Tournament.

H. RESIGNING FROM THE TOURNAMENT
(a) Players should notify the TD of this necessity, allowing the TD to find a replacement.
(b) If possible, players will be asked to continue to play, or to play-out, games in which they are active, until a replacement can be found.
(c) If the TD cannot find a replacement, any games in which the player is active will still count towards the Tournament.
(d) If the TD cannot find a replacement for subsequent games, game starts may be delayed. If a replacement cannot be found, any subsequent games in that season will be UNRANKED and the TD will play the game and maintain the power(s) in Civil Disorder. Players will be told of this eventuality before each game.
(e) If necessary the TD will attempt to find replacements who agree to cover each game individually, but who may not be part of the Tournament structure.

I. SUBSTITUTES/RESERVES
(a) Should a player require a substitute for a period in a game or games, s/he is responsible for finding the substitute.
(b) A substitute may not be:
- playing in ANY other game ON SITE in which the player is involved (as per site rules);
- be playing in the Torunament;
- a player who has resigned from the Tournament WITHOUT THE PERMISSION OF THE TD.
(c) A reserve may be asked to substitute.
(d) If a player cannot find a temporary substitute, s/he may ask for a delay in deadlines (see above) but, failing this or, by preference, may request the TD to substitute for ONE TURN (movement/retreats/builds) only. Should the TD substitute, the player must provide details of alliances and include provisional orders for moves, retreats and builds/disbandments. The TD will not carry out any diplomacy on behalf of the player. In this scenario, the TD will not amend any movement orders. The TD would approach the game as if not knowing the player assignments in the game and not allow the inside knowledge of the game to affect orders.
(e) Should a substitute be required for longer than one turn, the TD would issue HOLD orders for subsequent turns.
(f) The TD will maintain a list of reserves to replace players who resign from the Tournament/
(g) If a reserve agrees to substitute for a player, s/he may still subsequently replace a player in the Tournament.

J. BUGS
(a) Should a player/player(s) believe a bug or other site-related incident has affected the game, s/he should contact the TD about it NOT post in the Forum.
(b) The TD may choose to "suspend" the game by extending deadlines until the bug can be investigated, and would notify players in the game of this.
(c) Any errors which cannot be evidenced as the result of a bug, any actions occurring because of a bug and anything that cannot be corrected will NOT invalidate the game within the Championship.
(d) A perceived inconsistency between orders and reported orders will not be considered a bug.

K. PENALTIES
(a) Delaying the game in subscription/confirmation and causing the game to therefore be re-set: first occurrence: -2 points from principal scoring, -20 points from Pos238S scoring; second occurrence in the same game: expulsion from the Tournament; three occurrences in different games: expulsion from the Tournament. (This does not include delaying subscribing or confirming where the game is not affected, ie. where the game does not revert to an earlier phase.)
(b) If the TD believes that a player has deliberately broken anonymity rules, whether active or inactive in a game: first occurrence -2 points from principal scoring, -20 points from Pos238S scoring; subsequent occurrences: removal from the Tournament.
(c) Surrendering from a game whilst active: removal from the Tournament.
(d) Breaking site rules on game play in non-league games: penalty dependent on cheating resolution.
NB: The TD will enforce site rules irrespective of a players standing in this tournament. The TD reserves the right to expel players from the Championship for extraordinary circumstances (eg lengthy or repeated Forum bans).
(e) Any player affected by a penalty may appeal the decision. Any actions that cannot be reversed (such as being removed from a game) will not be affected as a result of a successful appeal.
(f) Players may not appeal a reversal of a penalty.
(g) The TD's final decision is not open to appeal.

Pos238S Scoring System explained.
1. Find the SC score. This is calculated by multiplying the number of SCs held at the end of the game by 7.
2. Give all surviving players a placing based on the number of SCs they control at the end of the game. Should a game end between before a Fall and a Fall Retreats phase, SCs will be given to a player if s/he could have retreated to an open SC but only if another retreating unit could not have retreated there.
3. Convert placing into a fraction:
1st place = 1; 2nd = 6/7; 3rd = 5/7; 4th = 4/7; 5th = 3/7; 6th = 2/7; 7th = 1/7.
4. Multiply the player’s SC score by the appropriate fraction. Players tied on placing take the highest fraction (eg two players on 5 SCs tied in 2nd place use the fraction 6/7, the next highest player on 3 SCs uses 4/7). This provides each player’s Pos238 score.
5. Find the Game Total by adding each player’s Pos238 score.
6. Standardise the game by dividing each player’s Pos238 score by the Game Total and multiplying the result by 100. Round to two decimal places.
7. A solo earns 100 points and no other players score for the game.

An example:
1st - Player A (11 SCs - 11x7) scores 77. Divided by 1 (1st place) scores 77.
2nd - Player B (6 SCs) 42 multiplied by 6/7 scores 36.
2nd - Player C (6 SCs) scores 36.
4th - Player D (5 SCs) 35 multiplied by 4/7 scores 20.
5th - Player E (3 SCs) 21 multiplied by 3/7 scores 9.
5th - Player F (3 SCs) scores 9.
7th - Player G 0 SCs scores 0.
Game total is 187
Player A's final score is [(77 divided by 187) x 100] = 41.18 pts.
Player B and C both score 19.25 pts.
Player D scores 10.7 pts.
Players E and F score 4.81 pts.
Player G scores 0 pts.
World Diplomacy Forum.
Don't let the stepladder get you. Watch where you're stepping. ANY step could be a doozy.
rick.leeds
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: GRAND TOURNAMENT - Sign-ups.

Postby rick.leeds » 17 Apr 2012, 15:29

Either PM me or add your name below. There's not going to be a rush to get it started. We'll need at multiple of 7 entrants to get it off the ground.

Entrants (50) (Names in bold = confirmed).
AngelEyesGBU
arthae
asudevil
bitwise
bratsffl
Br59
CrnaZemlja
Dukevongoblin
fatmo
FelixFelis
fuyas
gordoncomstock
gsmx
GurraG
heritikyl
Infidelc
jayahr
jenthefantastic
lannes
LeeHooker
Lucifers_Hammer
Mahkumazahn
Maverick462
MrPensive
mr bump
mthompson
Niakan
Bwlvych
Parmesan
Pikeman
presser84
raphtown
serak
sock
stalin813
stvr1050
thelastChris
thecollective
UpQuark
xavier77
Yorkshireman
717TheBaron
--------------------------------
BigBert
richkarna
stevier
Mouse
Bob.Durf
zefrog
hypermach

----------------------------- Reserves List
World Diplomacy Forum.
rick.leeds
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: GRAND TOURNAMENT - Rules & Sign-ups.

Postby rick.leeds » 17 Apr 2012, 15:31

asudevil wrote:...is this different than the PDCC?

Yep. PDCC is based on a league system, whereas this is simply qualifying, with the top seven progressing to the Final Board.
World Diplomacy Forum.
rick.leeds
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Br59 » 17 Apr 2012, 15:44

ok I'll give it a go please.
Br59

Standard rating: (1626)
All-game rating: (1672)

Postby asudevil » 17 Apr 2012, 15:46

I will re-sign up under your signup log...So it looks official, I just wanted to get in.
Captain FANG, forum team championships WINNER
Part of the surviving nations of WW4/Haven

Unless I am in the cheater's subforum. 99% of what I say is NOT as a mod.

Want to play fantasy football this season here...Reigning Champion
asudevil

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1351)
All-game rating: (1497)
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby Panthers70 » 17 Apr 2012, 16:14

I would like to enter the Grand Tournament ......... Maverick462
Panthers70

Standard rating: (849)
All-game rating: (973)

Postby jenthefantastic » 17 Apr 2012, 16:37

Count me in, as long as the tournament starts after April 29th.
jenthefantastic

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (958)
All-game rating: (892)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby asudevil » 17 Apr 2012, 16:37

jenthefantastic wrote:Count me in, as long as the tournament starts after April 29th.

Why...going somewhere...lol
Captain FANG, forum team championships WINNER
Part of the surviving nations of WW4/Haven

Unless I am in the cheater's subforum. 99% of what I say is NOT as a mod.

Want to play fantasy football this season here...Reigning Champion
asudevil

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1351)
All-game rating: (1497)
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby Niakan » 17 Apr 2012, 16:55

I'm sure that it will start after the 29th.. these things take a bit of time to organize. Count me in Rick :)
Face-to-face organizer of Diplomacy games in New York City.
My Twitch Channel
My YouTube Channel
My current Mafia game
Niakan

Standard rating: (949)
All-game rating: (1017)
Timezone: GMT-5

Next

Return to Grand Tournament 2