1933 Diplomacy Signups/GM Rules

5-player game set in Europe as the Versailles Treaty begins to break down; Players bid for control of minor powers. Designed by Pharaoh of nerds and GMd by asudevil. Draw between France (thelastchris) and Germany (BoomstickS)

1933 Diplomacy Signups/GM Rules

Postby asudevil » 21 Apr 2012, 03:53

Well the time has come. I am finally going to run this game. http://playdiplomacy.com/forum/viewtopi ... 13&t=26081

That was the thread as we discussed the new game/map that Pharoah of Nerds made up.

I have already PM'd everyone who was on the original thread who expressed interest, however, if I dont get 5 people, feel free to sign up on here. They will get first priority though.

So now I am going to run it.

Start 1933 Diplomacy.gif
Start 1933 Diplomacy.gif (79.9 KiB) Viewed 3091 times

1) Major Powers
The playable countries (hereafter the "Major Powers") are as follows:

England (Fleet London, Army Liverpool, Fleet Edinburgh, Fleet Cairo)
France (Army Paris, Army Marseilles, Fleet Brest, Fleet Algiers)
Italy (Army Venice, Army Rome, Fleet Naples, Fleet Tripoli)
Russia (Fleet Leningrad, Army Sevastopol, Army Moscow, Fleet Stalingrad)
Germany (Fleet Hamburg, Army Hanover, Army Berlin, Army Munich)

2) Minor Powers
In addition to the playable powers, there are also a number of Minor Powers, which the players control. These are marked by white territories with colorful borders. They are:

Finland (Army Helinski)
Poland (Army Krakow, Army Warsaw)
Hungary (Army Hungary)
Rumania (Army Bucharest)
Spain (Army Madrid, Fleet Seville)
Turkey (Fleet Constantinople, Army Smyrna)

These are controlled by the Major Powers through Influence Points (IPs).

Players bid IPs each year in the Minor Diplomacy Phase, at the beginning of every Spring Turn (The game starts in Spring 1933). The player with the most IPs invested in a Minor Power gains control of it.

At the beginning of the Minor Diplomacy Phase, each player collects 3 IPs for every Supply Center the control (IMPORTANT: The Build center in Arkhangelsk counts as one supply center when collecting IPs. The other build centers count for nothing. However, Russia may not bid more than 12 IPs on one minor power in Spring 1933). Each Minor Power has a square box at the bottom of the board. IPs, represented by tokens the color of the power that controls them, are in the boxes.

Before bidding starts, Influence decays. The IPs of each power left over from previous turns (those that are already in the boxes) are reduced by half. In the case of odd numbers, round up, unless doing so would cause there to be a tie with a player that had a greater amount of IPs before the reduction, in which case round down. After that, for every supply center annexed by the Minor Power the previous Winter, the Major Power controlling it is awarded 3 additional IPs in that box, and loses 3 for each center lost (to a minimum value of 0 IPs)

Next, Players write down what they bid for each power. Players may talk to one another at this time. Players may not trade or give away IPs, but may bid IPs (both new ones and ones carried over from previous turns) in a coalition with another player, if specified in the orders. Once everyone is done or until the phase is over (recommended 5 minutes for FtF games, 12-24 hours for online games), whichever comes first, bids are read aloud. The bids are added to the pre-existing IPs in the boxes. Whatever Player has the most invested in a Minor Power gains control of it for the year. In the case of a tie, control goes to whatever player controlled it the previous year.

If the player who controlled a Minor Power the previous year is not part of the tie, Coalition Control is established. If that happens, each power in the tie writes orders for the Minor Power. For each unit, whatever order is submitted by the most powers is what happens. In case of a tie, the unit holds.

If a player takes a home supply center from a Minor Power he or she controls, he or she loses control of said Minor Power and may never bid for control of it again. Control is transferred to the player with the most IPs invested in it. If there is a tie, a Coalition controls it until the next bidding phase. In addition, the belligerent power loses all built-up influence with other Minor Powers, and in the future they only collect 2 IPs from each supply center they own instead of 3.

Control of Minor Powers in not revealed except to secretly inform each player what Minor Power they control. Players communicate with Minor Powers (through the GM for email games), not knowing which Major Power they are talking to. When communicating as Major Powers, players may lie about their control of a Minor Power. When communicating as Minor Powers, they may lie about what Major Power they are.

3) Ferry Borders
Land territories joined with double-headed arrows border one another, and as such both armies and fleets may move directly between them. Thus, Wales and Edinburgh each border Irish Free State, Liverpool borders North Ireland, and Seville borders Morocco. Passage between these territories is blocked if all Water Territories bordering both of the linked territories are occupied by fleets of another power, unless that power specifically writes to allow passage in their orders.

4) Victory:
A victory requires 24 SCs (that is with your major power only), minor SCs dont count. There are 46 SCs on the board

Miscellaneous:

Constantinople and Denmark function as in standard Diplomacy. Hamburg functions as Kiel did.

Territories such as Arkhangelsk and Damascus with squares on them are Build Centers. The player that starts with it may build units on it, but it gives no supplies. With the exception of Arkhangelsk, they give no IPs

1. Pharoah of Nerds
2. Diplomat42
3. thelastchris
4. BlueBorjigin
5. BoomstickS

Reserves
1. Ihaslan
2. DiploNev
Captain FANG, forum team championships WINNER
Part of the surviving nations of WW4/Haven

Unless I am in the cheater's subforum. 99% of what I say is NOT as a mod.
asudevil
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1351)
All-game rating: (1437)
Timezone: GMT-7

Re: 1933 Diplomacy

Postby asudevil » 21 Apr 2012, 04:03

This will be a Blind Auction game, so dont say anything about preferences or I may have to disqualify you.

We are running a 3/1/1/1/1 game. I will go with speed deadlines though, so if you all get me orders in early for any season I will process at that point. Please especially try to do this with build/retreats when there are only 1 or 2 of you with builds.

So 3 days to communicate with the minor powers (this is because the ownership of the powers will stay secret. You can send all communication from or to a minor power through me.) You may claim any minor power as your own to other people in PM's directly to them, but if you want to send messages that will for SURE get to the minor power, send them to me and I will forward them via BCC....YOU MUST TITLE THE MESSAGES TO OR FROM MINOR COUNTRIES LIKE THIS (1933 From "your power", to "who you want to talk to"). If you dont do this, they wont go into the right folder, and they wont be sent to the recipients in good time

Then you will have 1 day to get me orders for your major/minor powers

Then you will have 1 day for retreats

Then you will have 1 day for builds

Then you will have 1 day to send me influence bids for the minor powers.

We will actually start with the influence bidding. I will allow 4 days for the initial influence bidding since you will all be getting to know each other and making plans, so that will influence bidding. After that I will allow for a 5 day spring communication (which can be shortened if everyone finalizes)....then we will be on the standard deadlines from there on out....meaning after the 5day spring communication phase, you would still have 24 hours to get me orders.

I will finalize build/retreat/bidding if I get them early, but at the same time, I work, so I doubt it will happen a ton.

I generally am able to send out a reminder email with 24 hours to go. I frequently can get another one out with somewhere 6-10 hours to go. I hope I dont bother you with these messages, but I dont have many NMR's and I would like to keep it that way. I figure I would rather bug you often than have you miss a deadline. Also, if you send in provisional orders early, I will never have to send you out the reminder emails.

I will also run speed deadlines for any other season where all orders are in early. If you do not want me to use yours as speed deadlines, put "Provisional" in the message, so I know that. I will treat all build/retreats as finalized unless you specifically say that they are not. You can change your orders any time up until I post results. Sometimes I will be a little late in adjudication (I work and have a wife/kid), so you can even change/place orders after the deadline as long as I have not posted results.

If you NMR for the first season I will remove you (If you cant make a 5 day turn, you wont make any)

If you NMR 2 turns in a row I will remove you. If you NMR 3 turns period I will remove you....This includes Build/Bid phases...but I wont have this include retreats

Please dont NMR, if you need out, let me know so I can try to find a sub.

I have dont have subs yet, but I will try to get add to my list, so that I wont slow up the game in case someone does quit.

Please send me orders with the following in the subject line. "Versailles Spring 1933 (or whatever) Russia (or whatever)". Those can go in any order, but I really need all three things, just so I can make sure I got all my orders, when they are, and keep them separate from my other forum games. I am running 3 games and in 5 others, so I really need this to stay organized

This is a build in original SC only map.

24 SCs for the win.

Also, all draws must be made either on the most recent thread, or PM'd to me. They can not be proposed until after the 5th build season. They do not have to include all survivors, but they must be accepted unanimously.

Any questions feel free to ask.

asudevil
Premium Member

Re: 1933 Diplomacy Signups/GM Rules

Postby diplomat42 » 21 Apr 2012, 04:15

Just for the record, I'm in.
Glorious Nation of the Himalaya et.al in CYOC.
Classicist, Whippersnapper.

Generation 32 (The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.)

JOIN CITY-STATES AND ZOMBIES!
IT WILL BE OFF THE CHAIN
diplomat42

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1140)
All-game rating: (1289)
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby Pharaoh of nerds » 21 Apr 2012, 17:13

I'm in too, of course. Sorry I couldn't be the GM, I'm not used to playing forum games yet.
GM Evil vs Evil vs Evil vs 'MURIKA
Creator + Britain 1930s World
Creator 1700, 1933, 1914 World
Japan in Zeus
Britain in 1900: Stars and Stripes
Messinia in Pericles
Franci in Imperium
Evil England in Root Z
Yellow in City-States and Zombies
Pharaoh of nerds

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1000)
All-game rating: (972)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby asudevil » 21 Apr 2012, 17:22

Glad to have you pharaoh, especially since its your design.

asudevil
Premium Member

Postby Bluewolf » 21 Apr 2012, 17:27

THANK you! Almost every time i send a group message for barbaria i soell it like that. Good to know i'm not going senile (at 11)
Bluewolf

Standard rating: (897)
All-game rating: (896)

Postby lhaslam » 21 Apr 2012, 17:44

If there are any places available once the people with priority have had their pick i would like to join if possible, i have been watching as the game was developed and i am very interested.
Thank's,
Last edited by lhaslam on 21 Apr 2012, 18:01, edited 1 time in total.
lhaslam

All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT

Postby asudevil » 21 Apr 2012, 17:53

DiploNEV wrote:THANK you! Almost every time i send a group message for barbaria i soell it like that. Good to know i'm not going senile (at 11)

Does this mean you have room to join.

asudevil
Premium Member

Postby Bluewolf » 21 Apr 2012, 17:59

unfortunately, i don't think so. i could be a reserve.
Bluewolf

Standard rating: (897)
All-game rating: (896)

Postby BoomstickS » 21 Apr 2012, 20:43

I'm kinda puzzled with the minor powers rules... If I figure them out I might join.. :P
BoomstickS

Class: Ambassador
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT+1

Next

Return to 1933 [1 Game] {All Maps Lost}