Edwardian (2nd Edition)

This is the place for games which are currently being created and developed, and where the designer is listening to feedback from other players. The game is not ready to play, and the designers are not looking for sign-ups - indeed, they may have no intention of GMing the game themselves when it is finished. But your input is welcome!

Moderator: Morg

Forum rules
Despite repeated requests, designers are still regularly posting maps of several hundred Kb size. All maps should be under 80Kb and preferable 50-60 maximum. Unless you have prior permission, any larger map will be removed without warning.

Edwardian (2nd Edition)

Postby VaeVictis » 21 Mar 2018, 15:18

I was contacted a few months back by another member of this site, Enriador, about Edwardian and where it stands as a variant. Initially, I gave it little thought, but he contacted me again about it and over this time period I have pieced together some alterations that might make for an interesting variant.

Edwardian Diplomacy-2nd ed.-ver.8-GIF.gif
Edwardian Diplomacy-2nd ed.-ver.8-GIF.gif (116.69 KiB) Viewed 270 times

Differences to note from previous iterations of 1905: Europe and Edwardian or things of general consideration pertaining to the current version:

1. The British Sea Lanes and Gibraltar rules have been abolished (with extreme prejudice) for their overt complexity and dubious benefit to the variant's gameplay.

2. Austria-Hungary now has 4 centers (adding Sarajevo); France now has 5 centers (adding Lyon); Germany now has 6 centers (adding Dresden and Essen); Italy now has 4 centers (adding Bologna); Russia now has 6 centers (adding Kiev and Reval, removing Arkangel); Turkey has 4 centers (adding Erzerum and Damascus, removing Ankara).

3. Montenegro and Persia have been added as neutral supply centers.

4. Algeria, Egypt, and Poland have been made home supply centers of their great powers, being renamed Algiers, Cairo, and Warsaw, respectively.

5. Several pieces begin in non-supply center spaces, namely: F Gib (supplied from Dub); A Lor (supplied from Par); F Apu (supplied from Bologna); A Mac (supplied from Smy).

6. Cairo, Constantinople, and Kiel are canal spaces and fleets move through these spaces.

Possible initial objections might be 1) the scale of the number of pieces involved and 2) the starting positions of many of the pieces.

1). The number of pieces is intentional to provide more options and points of discussions for players. Additionally, it affords the accentuation of historical advantages of certain nations over others while also not reducing the opportunities of smaller nations too drastically. For example, the 4-3 ratio of Germany over Austria-Hungary, Italy, and Turkey has been increased to a 3-2 (6-4) ratio; Germany stands further apart in her preeminence, but Austria-Hungary, Italy, and Turkey now boast 4 pieces and expanded initial opportunity.

2). This was also fashioned intentionally to represent the great powers on a war-footing in preparation, placing them closer in their opening moves, but also presenting the challenge of the distance of neutral centers from home supply centers in subsequent turns. Gibraltar was an important imperial possession of Britain to maintain her dominance in the Mediterranean; France held enormous animosity for Germany and sought the return of Alsace, stationing many armies along Germany's frontier; Italy wished wistfully to restore Roman mastery of the Mediterranean and maintained large naval bases at Taranto in Apulia; Turkey, suspicious and fearful of her restless Balkan neighbors maintained armies in her European possessions.

Let me know what you think.

Disclaimer: I am basically taking a general hiatus from Diplomacy and have no intent to run this variant any time soon (as should apparent to those who understand the circumstances behind this). These are simply a few thoughts and ideas applied to an existing variant and this thread is purely for the enjoyment of discussing map balance and concepts. If anyone is interested in running this variant after some reasonable expectation of map balance has been achieved or determined, then PM me.

Edwardian Diplomacy

Game Commencement

A game of Edwardian Diplomacy begins with the Spring 1901 Orders phase.

Victory Conditions

There are 50 total supply centers and 26 needed to win.

Great Power Home Supply Centers

Austria-Hungary: Vienna (Vie), Budapest (Bud), Sarajevo (Srj), Trieste (Tri)

Britain: London (Lon), Belfast (Blf), Cairo (Cai), Glasgow (Gla), Liverpool (Lvp)

France: Paris (Par), Algiers (Alg), Brest (Bre), Lyon (Lyo), Marseilles (Mar)

Germany: Berlin (Ber), Dresden (Dre), Essen (Ess), Frankfurt (Fra), Kiel (Kie), Munich (Mun)

Italy: Rome (Rom), Bologna (Bol), Milan (Mil), Naples (Nap)

Russia: St. Petersburg (StP), Kiev (Kiv), Moscow (Mos), Reval (Rev), Sevastopol (Sev), Warsaw (War)

Turkey: Constantinople (Con), Damascus (Dam), Erzurum (Erz), Smyrna (Smy)

Initial Placement

Austria-Hungary: Army Vienna (A Vie), Army Budapest (A Bud), Army Sarajevo (A Srj), Fleet Trieste (F Tri)

Britain: Fleet London (F Lon), Fleet Cairo (F Cai), Fleet Gibraltar (F Gib), Fleet Glasgow (F Gla), Army Liverpool (A Lvp)

France: Army Algiers (A Alg), Fleet Brest (F Bre), Army Lorraine (A Lor), Army Lyon (A Lyo), Army Marseilles (A Mar)

Germany: Army Berlin (A Ber), Army Dresden (A Dre), Army Essen (A Ess), Army Frankfurt (A Fra), Fleet Kiel (F Kie), Army Munich (A Mun)

Italy: Army Rome (A Rom), Fleet Apulia (F Apu), Army Milan (A Mil), Fleet Naples (F Nap)

Russia: Army St. Petersburg (A StP), Army Kiev (A Kiv), Army Moscow (A Mos), Fleet Reval (F Rev), Fleet Sevastopol (F Sev), Army Warsaw (A War)

Turkey: Fleet Constantinople (F Con), Army Damascus (A Dam), Army Erzurum (A Erz), Army Macedonia (A Mac)

Special Notes On Placement

Several Armies and Fleets begin the game occupying non-supply center spaces supplied remotely from vacant home supply center spaces. These include: Fleet Gibraltar (F Gib) supplied from Belfast (Blf); Army Lorraine (A Lor) supplied from Paris (Par); Army Macedonia (A Mac) supplied from Smyrna (Smy); Fleet Apulia (F Apu) supplied from Bologna (Bol).

Special Rules & Map Notes

Gibraltar: The Gibraltar (Gib) space functions as it was originally designed in the 1900 variant by B. M. Powell; fleets and armies may occupy the space, armies being able to move from both Morocco (Mor) and Spain (Spa). Gibraltar also acts as a sea space for convoys with armies being allowed to be convoyed through a fleet occupying Gibraltar.

Split Coastal Spaces:

- Spain (Spa) is divided into north, west, and south coasts.

- St. Petersburg (StP) is divided into north and south coasts.

Land Bridges: There is a land bridge that connects Belfast (Blf) and Glasgow (Gla) for army and fleet movement.

Canal Spaces: Cairo (Cai), Constantinople (Con), and Kiel (Kie) are canal spaces that allow for fleet and army movement.

Miscellaneous:

- Ionian Sea (Ion) and Tyrrhenian Sea (Tyr) do not border.

- Denmark (Den) and Sweden (Swe) border for land and sea movement, but Denmark does not split the coast of Sweden (as in Classic Diplomacy).

Abbreviations

Aeg – Aegean Sea
Adr – Adriatic Sea
Alb – Albania
Alg – Algiers
Als – Alsace
Ang – Angora
Apu – Apulia
Bal – Baltic Sea
Ban – Banat
Bar – Barents Sea
Bel – Belgium
Ber – Berlin
Bes – Bessarabia
Bis – Bay of Biscay
Bla – Black Sea
Blf – Belfast
Boh – Bohemia
Bol – Bologna
Bot – Gulf of Bothnia
Bre – Brest
Bud – Budapest
Bul – Bulgaria
Cai – Cairo
Cen – Central Mediterranean
Cis – Ciscaucasia
Con – Constantinople
Cro – Croatia
Cyr – Cyrenaica
Dam – Damascus
Den – Denmark
Dre – Dresden
Eas – Eastern Mediterranean
Eng – English Channel
Erz – Erzurum
Ess – Essen
Fin - Finland
Fra – Frankfurt
Gal – Galicia
Gas – Gascony
Gib – Gibraltar
Gla – Glasgow
GoL – Gulf of Lyon
Gre – Greece
Han – Hanover
Hej – Hejaz
Hel – Helgoland Bight
Ice – Iceland
Ind – Indian Ocean
Ion – Ionian Sea
Iri – Irish Sea
Jab – Jabal Shammar
Kie – Kiel
Kiv – Kiev
Kol – Kola
Kon – Konya
Lon – London
Lor – Lorraine
Lvp – Liverpool
Lyo – Lyon
Mac – Macedonia
Mar – Marseilles
Mec – Mecklenburg
Mes – Mesopotamia
Mid – Mid Atlantic
Mil – Milan
Mon – Montenegro
Mor – Morocco
Mos – Moscow
Mun – Munich
Nap – Naples
NAt – North Atlantic
Net – The Netherlands
Nrg – Norwegian Sea
Nth – North Sea
Nwy – Norway
Par – Paris
Pal – Palestine
Per – Persia
Pic – Picardy
Pie – Piedmont
Por – Portugal
Pru – Prussia
Rev – Reval
Rom – Rome
Rum – Rumania
SAt – South Atlantic
Ser – Serbia
Sev – Sevastopol
Sil – Silesia
Ska – Skagerrak
Smy – Smyrna
Spa – Spain
Srj – Sarajevo
StP – St. Petersburg
Sud - Sudetenland
Swe – Sweden
Swi – Switzerland
Tra – Transylvania
Tri – Trieste
Trp – Tripolitania
Tun – Tunisia
Tus – Tuscany
Tyn – Tyrrhenian Sea
Tyr – Tyrol
Ukr – Ukraine
Van – Van
Ven – Venetia
Vie – Vienna
Wal – Wales
War – Warsaw
Wes – Western Mediterranean
Whi – White Russia
Yor – Yorkshire
Last edited by VaeVictis on 16 Apr 2018, 17:46, edited 5 times in total.
VaeVictis

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1248)
All-game rating: (1251)
Timezone: GMT-6

Re: Edwardian (2nd Edition)

Postby palmtaiga » 21 Mar 2018, 16:12

I really like this would even love it more if Malta had a centre on it. Well there can always be possibilities.
palmtaiga

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: 772
All-game rating: 826
Timezone: GMT+1

Postby Enriador » 21 Mar 2018, 17:50

I am a big fan of '1905: Europe' and the original 'Edwardian', so I am glad to see VaeVictis back with what I believe is a superior version. Allow me to examine point by point:

1. The British Sea Lanes and Gibraltar rules have been abolished (with extreme prejudice) for their overt complexity and dubious benefit to the variant's gameplay.

My favorite change: while Diplomacy variants can be fun with fancy additional rules (Ambition & Empire's Diplomacy Points come to mind) I think they are best left as close as possible to Classic. The beauty of Diplomacy are its simple yet elegant rules that can be universally applicable on a wide range of scenarios, historical or otherwise. So I definitively welcome the abolition of both rules. A question: is Fleet Gibraltar still allowed to convoy? In other words, does Gibraltar retain its unique status as a 'Hybrid' space?

2. Austria-Hungary now has 4 centers (adding Sarajevo); France now has 5 centers (adding Lyon); Germany now has 6 centers (adding Dresden and Essen); Italy now has 4 centers (adding Bologna); Russia now has 6 centers (adding Kiev and Reval, removing Arkangel); Turkey has 4 centers (adding Erzerum and Damascus, removing Ankara).

'Edwardian' is made bigger by these rules, but it's the price to pay in order to better represent the setting. I am not a fan of big variants that last forever due to their size, but the extra centers are well-positioned which makes me believe it won't impact the board dynamics with the much-feared late game slog.

A question: what is the victory criteria, now that so many centers have been added?

Justice has been done for Montenegro (in countless maps eaten by Austria for some reason) and Persia (captured by Turkish Syria and Armenia in many maps). A great change! A question: does Moscow border Persia?

4. Algeria, Egypt, and Poland have been made home supply centers of their great powers, being renamed Algiers, Cairo, and Warsaw, respectively.

Cairo being a home center removes the need for 'Suez Canal Rules' and 'British Sea Lanes' - an elegant solution. It's not like Turkey's life has been made any easier with the lack of incoming Anglo-French fleets through the south, as Britain can build units right next door.

No commentary about ALG and WAR - these regions were firmly within French/Russian control, so it's fair.

5. Several pieces begin in non-supply center spaces, namely: F Gib (supplied from Dub); A Lor (supplied from Par); F Apu (supplied from Bologna); A Mac (supplied from Smy).

I see excellent historical *and* gameplay reasons for these changes, but I would question the need for Turkey's Army Macedonia.

It creates an undesirable situation of border tension between Austria's Army Sarajevo and Turkey's Army Macedonia, akin to Classic's Venice-Trieste border. Austro-Turkish tension over control of the Balkans is certainly historically appropriate, but from a gameplay perspective I see Austria losing the most as A MAC can easily march away to Greece or Bulgaria, while A SAR have to watch over its center.

What about placing A MAC back at Smyrna? It can advance to conquer Bulgaria (with help from F CON-BLA), or be convoyed into Greece, or go to Konya for home defense (as from all four Turkish home centers can be defended).

6. Cairo, Constantinople, Kiel, and Naples (Ion and Tyr do not border directly for movement) are canal spaces and fleets move through these spaces.

Fair.

Some changes you didn't mention directly but are worth commenting:

Southern Algeria becomes impassable.
Siberia is absorbed by Moscow.

I appreciate it; troops walking over the desert always bothered my mind whenever I looked upon '1900'.

What is the reason for eliminating Siberia? I have no strong opinion on it myself, but I am curious about the reason.

Arabia is impassable. Jabal Shammar is added. The Indian Ocean provides a connection into the South Atlantic Ocean

Excellent design choices: the core of the Arabian desert is properly made unaccessible, while Jabal Shammar, a land of oases and important player in the British-Ottoman theater of the Great War becomes passable in its place. The Indian Ocean serves to add an extra layer of negotiation between Britain, France, Turkey and Russia (thanks to Persia). I dare say we have a new diplomatic triangle, centered around Egypt.
Last edited by Enriador on 21 Mar 2018, 18:18, edited 1 time in total.
Enriador

Standard rating: (974)
All-game rating: (975)
Timezone: GMT

Postby GhostEcho » 21 Mar 2018, 18:11

Gibraltar: it looks on the map as if it contains both land (the Rock) and sea (the Straits) and begins occupied by a fleet. Is it therefore analogous to Constantinople in standard, e.g. can it be occupied by an army or a fleet?

Naples: If Tyrhennian and Ionian Seas don't border, it might be worthwhile to include sea space visually in the Naples territory somehow.
"When you absolutely don't know what to do any more, then it's time to panic." - Johann van der Wiel
"I'm not panicking, I'm watching you panic. It's more entertaining." - Elli Quinn
"[Diplomacy:] No dice or chance. Just calculated insincerity." - Counter Trap
GhostEcho

Standard rating: (1013)
All-game rating: (981)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Enriador » 21 Mar 2018, 18:32

GhostEcho wrote:Gibraltar: it looks on the map as if it contains both land (the Rock) and sea (the Straits) and begins occupied by a fleet. Is it therefore analogous to Constantinople in standard, e.g. can it be occupied by an army or a fleet?

Naples: If Tyrhennian and Ionian Seas don't border, it might be worthwhile to include sea space visually in the Naples territory somehow.

I think Gibraltar works as in 1900 in that regard: both armies and fleets can move there.

Another question for the creator: why Palestine became Jerusalem? It's not a home center after all.
Enriador

Postby VaeVictis » 22 Mar 2018, 08:11

palmtaiga wrote:I really like this would even love it more if Malta had a centre on it. Well there can always be possibilities.

Indeed, but then poor Italy would be in quite a spot or, conversely, Britain would probably never be able to hold onto it.

Enriador wrote:I am a big fan of '1905: Europe' and the original 'Edwardian', so I am glad to see VaeVictis back with what I believe is a superior version. Allow me to examine point by point:

My favorite change: while Diplomacy variants can be fun with fancy additional rules (Ambition & Empire's Diplomacy Points come to mind) I think they are best left as close as possible to Classic. The beauty of Diplomacy are its simple yet elegant rules that can be universally applicable on a wide range of scenarios, historical or otherwise. So I definitively welcome the abolition of both rules. A question: is Fleet Gibraltar still allowed to convoy? In other words, does Gibraltar retain its unique status as a 'Hybrid' space?

Yes, Gibraltar is still a hybrid space like in Powell's 1900. I did not include all the finer rules delineating special map details.

'Edwardian' is made bigger by these rules, but it's the price to pay in order to better represent the setting. I am not a fan of big variants that last forever due to their size, but the extra centers are well-positioned which makes me believe it won't impact the board dynamics with the much-feared late game slog.

A question: what is the victory criteria, now that so many centers have been added?

Over half at 26 centers out of 50.

Justice has been done for Montenegro (in countless maps eaten by Austria for some reason) and Persia (captured by Turkish Syria and Armenia in many maps). A great change! A question: does Moscow border Persia?

No, the map ends with the Caspian Sea separating Moscow from Persia.

Cairo being a home center removes the need for 'Suez Canal Rules' and 'British Sea Lanes' - an elegant solution. It's not like Turkey's life has been made any easier with the lack of incoming Anglo-French fleets through the south, as Britain can build units right next door.

No commentary about ALG and WAR - these regions were firmly within French/Russian control, so it's fair.

I see excellent historical *and* gameplay reasons for these changes, but I would question the need for Turkey's Army Macedonia.

It creates an undesirable situation of border tension between Austria's Army Sarajevo and Turkey's Army Macedonia, akin to Classic's Venice-Trieste border. Austro-Turkish tension over control of the Balkans is certainly historically appropriate, but from a gameplay perspective I see Austria losing the most as A MAC can easily march away to Greece or Bulgaria, while A SAR have to watch over its center.

What about placing A MAC back at Smyrna? It can advance to conquer Bulgaria (with help from F CON-BLA), or be convoyed into Greece, or go to Konya for home defense (as from all four Turkish home centers can be defended).

I agree about the tension, it's one of the most unsettling aspects of playing Italy and especially Austria in Classic. However, I thought it might be appropriate in Edwardian because Austria-Hungary is much stronger, having Montenegro and Serbia decidedly within her sphere and the potential to hurt both Russia and Turkey by bouncing Rumania in Fall or moving to Macedonia in Spring, respectively. The threat to Sarajevo from Macedonia might mitigate some of Austria-Hungary's natural strength for swinging into the Balkans. If Turkey has A Smy behind F Con and is required to bounce in Black Sea with Russia in Spring, then Austria-Hungary's position is even stronger with Turkey's only option in Fall to move to Bul and hope that Austria-Hungary does not bounce F Con-Bul from Ser (or Mac if Austria-Hungary is a little too feisty). I'm not saying that I would keep this for sure, but that was my original idea.

Originally, I also placed a Russian army (from Kiev) in Bessarabia, but I thought this might make a 6 center Russia too strong; it's still in the back of my head, though.

6. Cairo, Constantinople, Kiel, and Naples (Ion and Tyr do not border directly for movement) are canal spaces and fleets move through these spaces.

Fair.

Some changes you didn't mention directly but are worth commenting:

Southern Algeria becomes impassable.
Siberia is absorbed by Moscow.

I appreciate it; troops walking over the desert always bothered my mind whenever I looked upon '1900'.

What is the reason for eliminating Siberia? I have no strong opinion on it myself, but I am curious about the reason.

Arabia is impassable. Jabal Shammar is added. The Indian Ocean provides a connection into the South Atlantic Ocean

Excellent design choices: the core of the Arabian desert is properly made unaccessible, while Jabal Shammar, a land of oases and important player in the British-Ottoman theater of the Great War becomes passable in its place. The Indian Ocean serves to add an extra layer of negotiation between Britain, France, Turkey and Russia (thanks to Persia). I dare say we have a new diplomatic triangle, centered around Egypt.

Yep. Some further things I omitted, but worth mentioning.

The reason for eliminating Siberia was simply because I am not sure that it is necessary for dislodging stalemate lines when White Russia has been added between Moscow and Warsaw. I could be wrong, but that was the thinking behind that alteration.

GhostEcho wrote:Gibraltar: it looks on the map as if it contains both land (the Rock) and sea (the Straits) and begins occupied by a fleet. Is it therefore analogous to Constantinople in standard, e.g. can it be occupied by an army or a fleet?

It operates like Gibraltar in 1900; fleets may occupy it like a canal space and armies may move over Gibraltar to Morocco or Spain.

Yeah, I'll have to think of some way to make Naples more apparent as a canal space.

Enriador wrote:Another question for the creator: why Palestine became Jerusalem? It's not a home center after all.

This does not need to be retained if it is too confusing. The only reason I changed it was because Turkey referred to it as the Mutasarrifate of Jerusalem or Jerusalem Sanjak as part of the administrative subdivision for that region.
VaeVictis

Postby Enriador » 23 Mar 2018, 01:53

I agree about the tension, it's one of the most unsettling aspects of playing Italy and especially Austria in Classic. However, I thought it might be appropriate in Edwardian because Austria-Hungary is much stronger, having Montenegro and Serbia decidedly within her sphere and the potential to hurt both Russia and Turkey by bouncing Rumania in Fall or moving to Macedonia in Spring, respectively. The threat to Sarajevo from Macedonia might mitigate some of Austria-Hungary's natural strength for swinging into the Balkans. If Turkey has A Smy behind F Con and is required to bounce in Black Sea with Russia in Spring, then Austria-Hungary's position is even stronger with Turkey's only option in Fall to move to Bul and hope that Austria-Hungary does not bounce F Con-Bul from Ser (or Mac if Austria-Hungary is a little too feisty). I'm not saying that I would keep this for sure, but that was my original idea.

Originally, I also placed a Russian army (from Kiev) in Bessarabia, but I thought this might make a 6 center Russia too strong; it's still in the back of my head, though.

It makes sense; without A Macedonia, Austria can freely rampage on Serbia and Montenegro. Your historical reason (Turkish occupation of Macedonia) is also a very strong one.

And it's not like Austria's survival relies on Sarajevo, unlike in Classic where Trieste's capture may easily end to an early death.

The reason for eliminating Siberia was simply because I am not sure that it is necessary for dislodging stalemate lines when White Russia has been added between Moscow and Warsaw. I could be wrong, but that was the thinking behind that alteration.

Hmm, adding Siberia back might even make the map a bit too much crowded in that area. White Russia makes a good enough job.

This does not need to be retained if it is too confusing. The only reason I changed it was because Turkey referred to it as the Mutasarrifate of Jerusalem or Jerusalem Sanjak as part of the administrative subdivision for that region.

Good points. I would like to see it back to Palestine precisely because of possible confusion caused by the space having the name of a city. It's also how the region was called by everyone's in day-to-day business.

From Wikipedia:

the Mutasarrifate of Jerusalem, together with the Sanjak of Nablus and Sanjak of Akka (Acre), formed the region that was commonly referred to as "Southern Syria" or "Palestine"
Enriador

Postby Enriador » 23 Mar 2018, 14:04

What is the start date? 1901 or 1905?
Enriador

Postby VaeVictis » 26 Mar 2018, 09:15

I restored Jerusalem (Jer) to Palestine (Pal) again.

The start date is Spring 1901 (beginning of the historical Edwardian Era).

I re-drew some portions of the map around the canal spaces to more clearly indicate that they are one space, but unique to allow for naval movement.

I changed a few other things as well:

1. I carved German Bohemia (GeB) out of Bohemia (Boh) in order to prevent a very perilous German opening (A Dre-Boh, A Mun-Tyr), which, unless Austria-Hungary caught wind of it and bounced one of those moves from Vienna (Vie) would guarantee Vienna for Germany in Fall 1901 if A Bud moved to Ban or Tra (which I think will happen in most games).

2. I added Van to separate Erzurum (Erz) from Persia. This was done to make Persia more contested, otherwise it is very conceivable that Turkey would always insist on a bounce with A Mos in Cis and A Dam would move to Mes. Even if the British player moved F Cai-Ind, Turkey could simply support A Mes from Erz. It would still be possible that Russia might have a fleet in Bla or support A Mos-Cis from Sev, but this would still see Per in Turkish hands in most games without much contest. By separating Erz from Per, Turkey will need to work harder and shrewder to secure Per.

3. I also changed some names (Dublin to Belfast, Edinburgh to Glasgow) to reflect cities that, though they were not necessarily capitals of their provinces, were larger cities or more major industrial centers at the turn of the twentieth.
VaeVictis

Postby Enriador » 27 Mar 2018, 17:52

VaeVictis wrote:I restored Jerusalem (Jer) to Palestine (Pal) again.

The start date is Spring 1901 (beginning of the historical Edwardian Era).

I re-drew some portions of the map around the canal spaces to more clearly indicate that they are one space, but unique to allow for naval movement.

I changed a few other things as well:

1. I carved German Bohemia (GeB) out of Bohemia (Boh) in order to prevent a very perilous German opening (A Dre-Boh, A Mun-Tyr), which, unless Austria-Hungary caught wind of it and bounced one of those moves from Vienna (Vie) would guarantee Vienna for Germany in Fall 1901 if A Bud moved to Ban or Tra (which I think will happen in most games).

2. I added Van to separate Erzurum (Erz) from Persia. This was done to make Persia more contested, otherwise it is very conceivable that Turkey would always insist on a bounce with A Mos in Cis and A Dam would move to Mes. Even if the British player moved F Cai-Ind, Turkey could simply support A Mes from Erz. It would still be possible that Russia might have a fleet in Bla or support A Mos-Cis from Sev, but this would still see Per in Turkish hands in most games without much contest. By separating Erz from Per, Turkey will need to work harder and shrewder to secure Per.

3. I also changed some names (Dublin to Belfast, Edinburgh to Glasgow) to reflect cities that, though they were not necessarily capitals of their provinces, were larger cities or more major industrial centers at the turn of the twentieth.

I like all changes - Persia was indeed on Turkey's court and now it's much more open to conflict - and thus to negotiation.

'German Bohemia' though... the space is great because of the reasons you pointed out, but the name sounds off - besides, it can cause confusing adjudications. I propose Sudetenland (SUD) as the name: it's directly related to German-populated Bohemia *and* unique. The province does not include all of Sudetenland but it's close enough.
Enriador

Next

Return to Games in development