China Diplomacy V2.0

This is the place for games which are currently being created and developed, and where the designer is listening to feedback from other players. The game is not ready to play, and the designers are not looking for sign-ups - indeed, they may have no intention of GMing the game themselves when it is finished. But your input is welcome!

Moderator: Morg

Forum rules
Despite repeated requests, designers are still regularly posting maps of several hundred Kb size. All maps should be under 80Kb and preferable 50-60 maximum. Unless you have prior permission, any larger map will be removed without warning.

China Diplomacy V2.0

Postby GrexofFaria » 11 Jan 2014, 22:58

Hello everyone!
After peering back into the confines of the Archive folder, I stumbled upon a game called China Diplomacy. And after some thinking, I felt it was time to bust it out again and bring it back to Play Dip with a new coat of paint and a little editing. China Diplomacy V2.0 now takes place during the end of the Eastern Han Dynasty, and the map has been recreated to fit this change. I have also crafted some new icons for this map, Anyway without any further adeu, the map and rules!
Map
Army/Navy Icons
Rules for China Diplomacy V2.0

~Similar to regular Diplomacy, however there are some new spins on the original game.

~The year is 200 AD
~11 Total SC’s
~24 Total Land Territories
~3 Sea Zones, 3 Rivers
~World Conquest for solo win
~6 starting nations

~Draws can be proposed starting spring 206 but won’t be enacted until either all nations agree; if not then another vote will be taken four years after if the countries benefiting from the draw bring back the proposal for a draw.
~At the end of every year the nations will meet in a council to discuss the conditions of their nations, talk about some trading interests with other countries or random events that happened in the past. This period lasts one IRL day.
~Each nation starts with one territory and one Army.

~No nation can create fleets until the spring build in 204 and only nations with five territories after that point can create a fleet. By spring 209 all nations with two or more territories may create fleets. (either SC territories or all territories this will be discussed during the 203 Council Phase)
~At certain points in the game rivers will be made open to fleets, the first coming in 207 with the Yangtze River in south eastern china and suggestions will be taken on year 210.
~Over the course of the game there will be a few territories deemed impassible for the next season, any units in the area will be forced to hold while other units may not move into the territory. These will happen at random, and will be mentioned as it comes close to the random time.
In the sea there will be storms of a similar nature, so random storms will appear with some warning. Any fleets in the zone during the storm will be moved to a neighboring zone (not with other fleets unless there is more fleets than neighboring zones, in which case the fleet will stay on hold)
~Fleets can’t invade land territories. If you wish to invade a territory from the sea you must convoy units. Also Fleets can’t support land units to take lands (fleet YS can’t support Army 6-7 ; Convoys will act as supports however)
~Aside from those the game is essentially the same, submitting times will be 3 days for orders, 2 days for retreats and 2 days for builds.

Nations
Code: Select all
   Red: Sun Jian    Blue: Cao Cao        Purple: Dong Zhuo   
Yellow: Yuan Shao   Pink: Liu Zhang      Teal: Liu Biao

Territory Names
1 Luo Yang   5 Chang An   9 Xia PI      13 Chai Sang  17 Chang Sha   21 Nanman
2 Jin Yang   6 Bei Ping   10 Xu Chang   14 Hui Ji     18 Jiang Ling  22 Han Zhong
3 Pu Yang    7 Ping Yuan  11 He Fei     15 Jiao Zhi   19 Yong An     23 Tian Shui
4 Xiang Yang 8 Bei Hai    12 Jian Ye    16 Ling Ling  20 Cheng Du    24 Xi Liang

Sea Zones            River Zones
S1 Yellow Sea        Yellow River (North River)
S2 Sea of Japan      Yangtze River (Central River)
S3 South China Sea   Pearl River (South River)

~During the weeks of Thanksgiving, Christmas there will be no processing so everyone can enjoy their holidays. as far as holidays that don't take up a week there will be only a one day processing hold ( so Halloween, New Year’s eve and New Year’s day, Valentine’s day)
This is a new coat of paint on an old variant I made in 2010, so a few of you might remember it ;)
Let me know if you would like to test version 2.0!
Wvandreforza in CYOC
Koning der Nederland in HOTW
Creator of China Diplomacy In Early Development so please check it out and comment!
GrexofFaria

Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT

Re: China Diplomacy V2.0

Postby Carebear » 11 Jan 2014, 23:16

I was recently thinking about a Chinese Diplomacy map. Obviously, I was wondering how to incorporate rivers to make fleets useful. It is good to see that something along those lines is already out there.

With a bit of work, maybe having something to promote to the Chinese market would increase membership...
You can have my last supply center, when you pry it from my cold dead hands.

Spam Ambassador Wannabe

Officially Sanctioned Site Gadfly (meaning the negative kind of sanction)
Carebear

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1573)
All-game rating: (1589)
Timezone: GMT+8

Postby GrexofFaria » 11 Jan 2014, 23:20

The last one was 7 players, used current china (what I remember) and it ran for about 3 In game years (if I remember correctly) It actually worked very well from what I remember
Wvandreforza in CYOC
Creator of China Diplomacy In Early Development so please check it out and comment!
GrexofFaria

Postby Carebear » 11 Jan 2014, 23:27

You set this in the tail end of the Han Dynasty. Did you plan any historical context for the independent states?

Spam Ambassador Wannabe

Carebear

Postby VegaMan » 11 Jan 2014, 23:33

Looks to me red and light blue get screwed because everyone else can get to an SC in 1 move, but these 2 have to duke it out or immediately make an enemy of one of the other colors.
"Nothing cheaper than something free"
VegaMan

Standard rating: (1212)
All-game rating: (1148)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Carebear » 11 Jan 2014, 23:40

VegaMan wrote:Looks to me red and light blue get screwed because everyone else can get to an SC in 1 move, but these 2 have to duke it out or immediately make an enemy of one of the other colors.

Yeah, the first thing that came out at me was that things were a little cramped. With traditional Diplomacy, I envision about three supply centers per country with another ten or so supply centers unaligned. Of course, trying to shoehorn in that baseline into a China map may be difficult. However, I would take that baseline and then look for a period in Chinese history with enough disunity to provide a reasonable geopolitical context in which to work.

Spam Ambassador Wannabe

Carebear

Postby GrexofFaria » 11 Jan 2014, 23:47

Carebear wrote:You set this in the tail end of the Han Dynasty. Did you plan any historical context for the independent states?

That is a very interesting concept you've thrown out, as I have somewhat historical leaders as playable characters. That would be a neat concept to incorporate here (say Liu Bei rises in Xia PI, or takes Yong An? maybe Nanman becomes a problem for whomever takes it over first because of the many tribes located there. Lu Bu kills Dong Zhuo, which switches out the players color and character. There are endless possiblities here! Although someone could very well just ruin all that fun, like LIu Biao becoming the ruler of what we now know as Wu.)

VegaMan wrote:Looks to me red and light blue get screwed because everyone else can get to an SC in 1 move, but these 2 have to duke it out or immediately make an enemy of one of the other colors.

True, before I posted I didn't have an SC in the far north of the map, which would mean purple, Blue and Yellow would've had an all out brawl over the central SC. I think I could edit the map to make it favorable or lower the player count
Wvandreforza in CYOC
GrexofFaria

Postby GrexofFaria » 19 Jan 2014, 02:46

Currently thinking about changing this back to the first China Dip as a map of modern day china. Either that or changing the player count to 4 instead of 6. Any thoughts on this?
Wvandreforza in CYOC
GrexofFaria

Postby Carebear » 19 Jan 2014, 02:48

GrexofFaria wrote:Currently thinking about changing this back to the first China Dip as a map of modern day china. Either that or changing the player count to 4 instead of 6. Any thoughts on this?

Take a look at the Ten Kingdoms period:

Spam Ambassador Wannabe

Carebear

Postby GrexofFaria » 19 Jan 2014, 03:05

it's a thought, and an interesting one! I think I'll fiddle with a possible map of the period (although admittedly I know little about it, so research time!). It also came to me to include the Han possessions of the northwest area north of Tibet, as well as parts of Korea and Vietnam to the current map that is up.
Wvandreforza in CYOC
GrexofFaria

Return to PbF Variant Development