The next generation? Zombie fleets

This is the place for games which are currently being created and developed, and where the designer is listening to feedback from other players. The game is not ready to play, and the designers are not looking for sign-ups - indeed, they may have no intention of GMing the game themselves when it is finished. But your input is welcome!

Moderator: Morg

Forum rules
Despite repeated requests, designers are still regularly posting maps of several hundred Kb size. All maps should be under 80Kb and preferable 50-60 maximum. Unless you have prior permission, any larger map will be removed without warning.

The next generation? Zombie fleets

Postby Pedros » 12 Sep 2013, 04:25

After the first game of Zombies, WarSmith suggested that Englan had an unfair advantage because the Zombies could never invade them. One way around this is to devise different ways of scattering the Zombies around - diplomat42 had a good idea which is now playing at City States and Zombes.

WarSmith suggested that Zombies could be convoyed, but I didn't like this because surely the crew of the fleets would become Zombies! However, the idea has sown seeds in my head and I have an alternative - Zombie fleets.

In version 1 a Zombie which overcame a fleet on a coast simply reproduced another land-based Zombie. But why not reproduce a Zombie fleet, which would operate exactly like other Zombies except that it could sense and attack only adjacent units at sea or along the coast?

Any thoughts, especially from those who've come up against these evil creatures?
"Sooner or later, one of us will stab the other. But for now we're both better off as allies" (kininvie)
Pedros

Location: Somewhere full of gorse and brambles, West Cornwall
Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1085)
All-game rating: (1314)
Timezone: GMT

Re: The next generation? Zombie fleets

Postby EpicDim » 12 Sep 2013, 05:05

I think it's a great idea and I think coastal starting zombies should have a 50% chance of being Armies or Fleets. (Decided after the inital country selection) But I do like some randomness.
Gauls (Ad Arma) 3-way, Russia (Othello) 4-way, Austria (Crowded Othello) Solo, England (Devious GM 2) Solo, Egypt (Time Travel) 3-way, (Exploration: Great Expeditions) Solo, Han (Warring States 2) Solo
EpicDim

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1000)
All-game rating: (1169)
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby Custer » 12 Sep 2013, 11:32

Where do I find this game so I can watch? :?
First..........get off my lawn! Second........it's a dashing self portrait! Courtesy of The Craw. Third.....I am still SHIV, Keeper of the Stone Tablets! Go Pack! And behold the power of cheese!
Custer
Premium Member

Location: Sailing somewhere in the Rockies on the Black Pearl but originally a Yooper!
Standard rating: 1084
All-game rating: 1002

Postby Peanut » 12 Sep 2013, 11:59

rshivy wrote:Where do I find this game so I can watch? :?

City States and Zombies is here:
http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=598

Pedros, I like the idea alot.

EpiDim, I worry that having Coastal Zombies start the game with a 50% chance of being Fleets would actually have the opposite effect and make England too vulnerable?

Scenaro
1901 starts with Zombie Fleets in Nwy and Bel
Result: if England puts to sea in S1901 then he will immediately be faced with Zombie Fleets on his doorstep in the Fall, difficult to see how he can make progress from here?
Youth & Talent are no match for Age & Treachery
Let your relationships with the other players drive your strategy, not the other way around.
Ambassador & Platinum Member of the Classicists
Peanut

Location: Tiptree (where jam comes from), Essex. England (orig Lutterworth, Leics - where Jet Engine invented)
Standard rating: (1148)
All-game rating: (1381)

Postby mem101 » 12 Sep 2013, 12:30

Zombies can't drown because they're already dead - they can walk on the seabed! Simply make zombies able to move over both land and sea with no need for two different units.
Silver member of The Classicists.
mem101

Standard rating: 1603
All-game rating: 1623

Postby Xildur » 12 Sep 2013, 13:56

mem101 wrote:Zombies can't drown because they're already dead - they can walk on the seabed! Simply make zombies able to move over both land and sea with no need for two different units.

While it is true, but what make them walk to the ocean or attack another coast?
Just a Gamer looking for some fun
Xildur

Standard rating: (1046)
All-game rating: (1046)

Postby mem101 » 12 Sep 2013, 14:22

Xildur wrote:
mem101 wrote:Zombies can't drown because they're already dead - they can walk on the seabed! Simply make zombies able to move over both land and sea with no need for two different units.

Just remove the rule that zombies cannot detect units at or beyond the sea.
Silver member of The Classicists.
mem101

Standard rating: 1603
All-game rating: 1623

Postby asudevil » 12 Sep 2013, 14:28

mem101 wrote:
Xildur wrote:

Just remove the rule that zombies cannot detect units at or beyond the sea.

Actually I REALLY like this idea.
Captain FANG, forum team championships WINNER
Part of the surviving nations of WW4/Haven

Unless I am in the cheater's subforum. 99% of what I say is NOT as a mod.
asudevil
Premium Member

Standard rating: (1351)
All-game rating: (1437)
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby EpicDim » 12 Sep 2013, 17:33

Peanut wrote:EpiDim, I worry that having Coastal Zombies start the game with a 50% chance of being Fleets would actually have the opposite effect and make England too vulnerable?

Scenaro
1901 starts with Zombie Fleets in Nwy and Bel
Result: if England puts to sea in S1901 then he will immediately be faced with Zombie Fleets on his doorstep in the Fall, difficult to see how he can make progress from here?

How is this any different than nations that start next to land zombies. At least England can choose which zombies to be next to. Germany starts next to Denmark and Holland without a choice. Austria starts next to Rumania and Serbia. If Rumania could be a fleet. PHEW to Austria.
Gauls (Ad Arma) 3-way, Russia (Othello) 4-way, Austria (Crowded Othello) Solo, England (Devious GM 2) Solo, Egypt (Time Travel) 3-way, (Exploration: Great Expeditions) Solo, Han (Warring States 2) Solo
EpicDim

Standard rating: (1000)
All-game rating: (1169)

Postby Xildur » 12 Sep 2013, 17:39

If all Zombie can detect fleet no matter what coast as long as they aare nearby, Sev-Moscow will be a very poor choice to start.
Just a Gamer looking for some fun
Xildur

Standard rating: (1046)
All-game rating: (1046)

Next

Return to PbF Variant Development