1700 v.2

This is the place for games which are currently being created and developed, and where the designer is listening to feedback from other players. The game is not ready to play, and the designers are not looking for sign-ups - indeed, they may have no intention of GMing the game themselves when it is finished. But your input is welcome!

Moderator: Morg

Forum rules
Despite repeated requests, designers are still regularly posting maps of several hundred Kb size. All maps should be under 80Kb and preferable 50-60 maximum. Unless you have prior permission, any larger map will be removed without warning.

1700 v.2

Postby Pharaoh of nerds » 28 Jun 2013, 16:29

After the game of this, I've made a few changes. As before, please tell me any thoughts you have.

1700.gif
1700.gif (125.49 KiB) Viewed 2247 times

The standard rules of Diplomacy apply, except as varied below:

1) Powers
The major powers are:
Britain (Scotland, London, Amsterdam)
France (Nantes, Paris, Marseilles)
Spain (Madrid, Seville, Naples, Brussels)
Sweden (Turku, Stralsund, Stockholm)
Austria (Vienna, Budapest, Agram)
Poland-Lithuania (Warsaw, Minsk, Saxony)
Russia (Arkhangelsk, Muscovy, Azov)
Ottomans (Constantinople, Ankara, Cairo, Algiers)

2) The game starts in Winter 1700 with a build phase

3) Territories joined with double-headed arrows border one another except in the event that every sea territory between them is occupied by fleets of another power.

4) The Crimean Khanate is one territory, functioning as Denmark, Constantinople and Kiel do in standard Diplomacy.
Despite appearances, Greece only has one coast. Fleets moving through it are presumed to go around then-Venetian Morea, which is impassible.
Muscovy and Azov are both coastal territories, and thus Russia may build fleets in them; however, the only territories they border by coast are Estonia and the Crimean Khanate respectively.
Meckleburg is a coastal territory. Fleets in it can move to Denmark or Straslund.

5) Milan is a Build Center for Spain. Spain may build units there but it does not give any supplies.

6) A Solo Victory requires 22 supply centers.
Last edited by Pharaoh of nerds on 08 Jul 2013, 06:22, edited 7 times in total.
GM Evil vs Evil vs Evil vs 'MURIKA
Creator + Britain 1930s World
Creator 1700, 1933, 1914 World
Japan in Zeus
Britain in 1900: Stars and Stripes
Messinia in Pericles
Franci in Imperium
Evil England in Root Z
Yellow in City-States and Zombies
Pharaoh of nerds

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1000)
All-game rating: (972)
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: 1700 v.2

Postby Pharaoh of nerds » 28 Jun 2013, 16:29

I believe the following is a comprehensive list of changes, in no particular order:
1) Spain now has 2 SCs in Iberia and 1 in Italy rather than the other way around
2) The game now begins with a build phase
3) Russia now has only 3 SCs at the start, having lost Rostov
4) Ukraine is no longer a neutral SC and is not a Russian non-SC (as is historically accurate)
5) Georgia is now a SC, and it now borders Syria
6) The Ottomans now start with 4 SCs, having gained Algiers
7) What was once Algiers has been split into 2 SCs; Ottoman Algiers and neutral Morocco
8) Nantes now borders Marseilles
9) Constantinople has consumed Greece, and Silistria has split off from it so it no longer borders the Crimean Khanate, and the connection between former Greece and Naples has been deleted
10) The formerly impassable space south of former Algeirs has turned into the neutral non-SC Sahara which stretches to border Cairo
11) Tuscany is now a SC, Savoy is no longer one
12) Tyrol and Budapest no longer border, Vienna and Agram now do

Running list of changes after creating this thread:
-Portugal becomes a SC
-Algiers and western Triopli combined into Ottoman non-SC "Barbary Coast," eastern former Triopli folded into Cairo so Cairo borders the Ionian, direct border between Seville and Morocco deleted
-Combined Tyrhennian and WestMed, made Gulf of Lyons border Papal States, made the Channel and the Irish Sea border so London doesn't border Mid-Atlantic
Last edited by Pharaoh of nerds on 08 Jul 2013, 06:24, edited 4 times in total.
Japan in Zeus
Messinia in Pericles
Franci in Imperium
Evil England in Root Z
Pharaoh of nerds

Postby Pedros » 28 Jun 2013, 19:00

Interesting - the feedback from the first game was so positive (in the AARs - no Star Ratings yet) that I wonder why you feel the need to change anything!
"Sooner or later, one of us will stab the other. But for now we're both better off as allies" (kininvie)
Pedros

Location: Somewhere full of gorse and brambles, West Cornwall
Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1085)
All-game rating: (1314)
Timezone: GMT

Postby Shibabalo » 28 Jun 2013, 19:07

Oh, I enjoyed the game--but I do think some things need to be changed, a number of them shown here.
SOLO- Baltic, Double Diplomacy
Draw- Layered, Dip Lite, 1700, Zeus, Simple, 1900 S&S
Loss- Some games

Classicist, Whippersnapper, Swag Bagel
Shibabalo

Standard rating: (950)
All-game rating: (1222)

Postby VaeVictis » 28 Jun 2013, 19:17

I still think that Portugal should be an SC. I realize that Seville-GoL is a legitimate move, but it is quite aggressive for a first turn. That option should still be available and viable to keep France honest, but I think Spain could use the break that Portugal would provide.
VaeVictis

Standard rating: (1248)
All-game rating: (1251)
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby Stanislaw » 28 Jun 2013, 19:23

Interesting changes.

Seville is defiantly a needed change. After Spain got eliminated so early last game it needed that reinforcement around Spain instead of having units stranded over in Italy.

Georgia is a very interesting change. Will defiantly lead to more Russian-Ottoman conflict, not sure how it will play out.

My only hesitation towards the changes in Algeirs. That gives Turkey the capability to start a fleet quite far our west.
When you play the game of thrones you win, or you die, there is no middle ground.

Platinum member of the Classicists
Stanislaw

Standard rating: (1434)
All-game rating: (1484)

Postby Pharaoh of nerds » 28 Jun 2013, 19:29

VaeVictus wrote:I still think that Portugal should be an SC. I realize that Seville-GoL is a legitimate move, but it is quite aggressive for a first turn. That option should still be available and viable to keep France honest, but I think Spain could use the break that Portugal would provide.

I've changed that
Japan in Zeus
Messinia in Pericles
Franci in Imperium
Evil England in Root Z
Pharaoh of nerds

Postby Pharaoh of nerds » 28 Jun 2013, 19:44

Stanislaw wrote:My only hesitation towards the changes in Algeirs. That gives Turkey the capability to start a fleet quite far our west.

I was hesitant to make this change too, but I want to draw them closer to Spain and set up a Ottoman-Spain-Austria triangle. Maybe the Constantinople-Greece merge did that enough?
What do you think of the idea of combining Algiers and Tripoli in one Ottoman non-SC, folding eastern Tripoli into Cairo so it borders the Ionian, and removing the direct border between Seville and Morocco?
That should have the added bonus of restoring the ability of the Ottomans to support Britain into Morocco. I deliberately drew the original map so they could do that, and I was thrilled to see it happen in the game.
Japan in Zeus
Messinia in Pericles
Franci in Imperium
Evil England in Root Z
Pharaoh of nerds

Postby Pharaoh of nerds » 28 Jun 2013, 19:51

Reading the AARs, I'm wondering if I should make Britain and Russia more able to fight. Perhaps I could combine the Norwegian and Barents Seas?
Japan in Zeus
Messinia in Pericles
Franci in Imperium
Evil England in Root Z
Pharaoh of nerds

Postby Stanislaw » 28 Jun 2013, 21:07

I would not combine Algeria and Tripoli. It gives you one long snaky region along Africa that is too big.

I see what you are trying to accomplish but I think it's a bit tricky given Spain and the Ottomans are on opposite sides of the Med and Austria is always more of a land power while Spain and the Ottomans will always have some naval focus.

I think Algeria as an SC is ok but it just seems too far west to be an Ottoman home SC. Maybe have it start the game as Ottoman but not as a home SC? It just seems like it gives the Ottomans the capability to put fleets far west in the med when they shouldn't be able to.

Also defiantly the right call to bump Russia down to 3 centers. At least that gives Poland a much better chance now.
When you play the game of thrones you win, or you die, there is no middle ground.

Platinum member of the Classicists
Stanislaw

Standard rating: (1434)
All-game rating: (1484)

Next

Return to PbF Variant Development