Alternative history of USA

This is the place for games which are currently being created and developed, and where the designer is listening to feedback from other players. The game is not ready to play, and the designers are not looking for sign-ups - indeed, they may have no intention of GMing the game themselves when it is finished. But your input is welcome!

Moderator: Morg

Forum rules
Despite repeated requests, designers are still regularly posting maps of several hundred Kb size. All maps should be under 80Kb and preferable 50-60 maximum. Unless you have prior permission, any larger map will be removed without warning.

Alternative history of USA

Postby diploguy » 22 Sep 2012, 21:04

Perhaps this has been done already but I keep toying with the idea of coming up with a variant of an alternative history of the USA. This would probably need to be a 5 player game. You would have 4 different "nations" trying to be the first to colonize America. The 5th "nation" would be the native americans trying to resist this. An interesting element to this would be the native americans can build anywhere but the rest of the nations can only build in their home centers. It's not meant for the other nations to gang up on the natives but I suppose that could happen.

I'm not sure if I'd make it 4 different nations or come up with more of a civil war era idea with 4 different regions of America squaring off. One problem I see are fleets not having a major role in this variant. If I expanded it to North America they would be more effective.

So... where do I go to try and design this or put it to a test?
diploguy

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1114)
All-game rating: (1110)
Timezone: GMT-6

Re: TestBed for new variants

Postby asudevil » 23 Sep 2012, 01:34

diploguy wrote:Perhaps this has been done already but I keep toying with the idea of coming up with a variant of an alternative history of the USA. This would probably need to be a 5 player game. You would have 4 different "nations" trying to be the first to colonize America. The 5th "nation" would be the native americans trying to resist this. An interesting element to this would be the native americans can build anywhere but the rest of the nations can only build in their home centers. It's not meant for the other nations to gang up on the natives but I suppose that could happen.

I'm not sure if I'd make it 4 different nations or come up with more of a civil war era idea with 4 different regions of America squaring off. One problem I see are fleets not having a major role in this variant. If I expanded it to North America they would be more effective.

You want to keep it in Games in Development where you can design the map and then have other people help you figure out weaknesses. If you want to run just a couple of seasons then you can run it in test bed...if you want to do a full game, then you run it in active games...hope this helps.
Captain FANG, forum team championships WINNER
Part of the surviving nations of WW4/Haven

Unless I am in the cheater's subforum. 99% of what I say is NOT as a mod.
asudevil
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1351)
All-game rating: (1437)
Timezone: GMT-7

Re: Alternative history of USA

Postby Pedros » 23 Sep 2012, 15:19

I've moved these posts into a separate topic in Development because that's what it's about, rather than the general discussion of how the Test Bed works.
"Sooner or later, one of us will stab the other. But for now we're both better off as allies" (kininvie)
Pedros

Location: Somewhere full of gorse and brambles, West Cornwall
Standard rating: (1085)
All-game rating: (1314)
Timezone: GMT

Postby Malevolence » 23 Sep 2012, 16:01

Id suggest more than one native player. The European nations never overwhelmed the natives altogether, they played them against each other and whittled them down before the US finally took control of their lands.
Creator of 1939, Superpowers, Future of the World, Fate of the World, Fantasy CYOC, Outbreak, History of the World, Italian Renaissance Diplomacy, 21st Century Diplomacy, Inheritors
Malevolence

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: 1049
All-game rating: 1031
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby LeroyJenkins » 23 Sep 2012, 16:19

I believe there was indeed a game like this where Russia dominated the north and Scotland (or the Dutch, I forget which) dominated in the south. You might want to look into it, though it might have been deleted through the Great Data Purge.
LeroyJenkins

All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby behnam » 23 Sep 2012, 16:55

diploguy wrote:Perhaps this has been done already but I keep toying with the idea of coming up with a variant of an alternative history of the USA. This would probably need to be a 5 player game. You would have 4 different "nations" trying to be the first to colonize America. The 5th "nation" would be the native americans trying to resist this. An interesting element to this would be the native americans can build anywhere but the rest of the nations can only build in their home centers. It's not meant for the other nations to gang up on the natives but I suppose that could happen.

I'm interested in helping develop this. I'm not sure where to start, but I think an outline of the basic map you have in mind is a good place to begin working on this.
nil desperandum ; sempre vincenti

behnam

Standard rating: (975)
All-game rating: (978)

Postby asudevil » 23 Sep 2012, 17:02

behnam wrote:
I'm interested in helping develop this. I'm not sure where to start, but I think an outline of the basic map you have in mind is a good place to begin working on this.

Seconded...you need to get some rough idea of what you are thinking down.

Use Paint.net...its the easiest to use.

And I like the idea of having 2 natives...
Captain FANG, forum team championships WINNER
Part of the surviving nations of WW4/Haven

Unless I am in the cheater's subforum. 99% of what I say is NOT as a mod.
asudevil
Premium Member

Standard rating: (1351)
All-game rating: (1437)
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby behnam » 23 Sep 2012, 17:30

So here are some suggestions for the map:

I assume the 4 colonizing nations are: Britain, Netherlands, Spain, France, along with either 1 or 2 Native nations in North America.

I think each of the 4 nations should have 2 or 3 home supply centers in Europe/Africa and at probably 1 center each in North America (New York area for the Dutch, Quebec or Louisiana for the French, CA/TX for the Spanish, and somewhere along the east coast for the British). The Natives can be Canada and USA with 3 or 4 SC each.

We would also need to have neutral SC throughout the map. Central America could have a few, as well as some throughout Canada and the US. A few spread in North Africa and Eastern Europe maybe (although I think there might be a balance issue with the SC in Eastern Europe being completely out of reach of the Natives.

Here are a few maps as a base from which to create the new one:

North America A
http://www.variantbank.org/results/rules/w/WiNA52.gif
North America B
http://www.variantbank.org/results/rule ... re4_ra.gif
Europe (for this one, I would recommend drawing a line straight down from Sweden and limiting it to there)
http://www.variantbank.org/results/rules/1/1939v2.gif
Last edited by behnam on 23 Sep 2012, 17:38, edited 1 time in total.
nil desperandum ; sempre vincenti

behnam

Standard rating: (975)
All-game rating: (978)

Postby BigBert » 23 Sep 2012, 17:31

There was a game called "Conquest of the Americas", which has roughly the same historical background:
viewtopic.php?f=388&t=26780

It does not feature natives however, so I think your variant would be different enough to be a "new" variant in its own right.
BigBert

Standard rating: (1539)
All-game rating: (1637)
Timezone: GMT+1

Postby AirsoftAlex » 23 Sep 2012, 18:18

Sounds interesting! And what about having Russia in Alaska? I agree that 2+ native Americans would be good. Good luck on the making of the map! :)
/\/|AirsoftAlex|\/\ "Just shut up and fight."
AirsoftAlex

Standard rating: (1000)
All-game rating: (979)
Timezone: GMT-8

Next

Return to PbF Variant Development