1914 World Diplomacy

This is the place for games which are currently being created and developed, and where the designer is listening to feedback from other players. The game is not ready to play, and the designers are not looking for sign-ups - indeed, they may have no intention of GMing the game themselves when it is finished. But your input is welcome!

Moderator: Morg

Forum rules
Despite repeated requests, designers are still regularly posting maps of several hundred Kb size. All maps should be under 80Kb and preferable 50-60 maximum. Unless you have prior permission, any larger map will be removed without warning.

1914 World Diplomacy

Postby Pharaoh of nerds » 27 Jul 2012, 03:31

Yet another variant I made! I'm pretty sure I have way too much time on my hands. That'll last about another month, then once the school year starts I won't be making nearly as many of these, if any. Anyway, as always I welcome any comments or suggestions you might have.

(open in new tab to see full map)

The standard rules of Diplomacy apply, except as varied below:

1) Powers:
Britain (Fleet London, Fleet Edinburgh, Army Liverpool, Fleet Canada n.c, Army Egypt-Sudan, Fleet India)
France (Fleet Brest, Army Paris, Army Marseilles, Army Morocco, Fleet French West Africa, Fleet French Indochina)
Germany (Fleet Kiel, Army Berlin, Army Munich, Army Cameroon, Army German East Africa, Fleet German New Guinea)
Italy (Army Milan, Army Rome, Fleet Naples, Army Tripoli, Army Italian Somaliland)
Austria (Army Vienna, Army Budapest, Fleet Trieste, Army Sarajevo)
Russia (Army Warsaw, Army Moscow, Fleet Sevastopol, Army Tsaritsyn, Fleet St Petersburg s.c., Army Vladivostok)
Ottomans (Army Istanbul, Fleet Ankara, Army Smyrna, Army Bagdad, Army Medina)
China (Army Sinkiang, Army Chungking, Army Peking, Fleet Nanking)
Japan (Army Korea, Fleet Formosa, Fleet Hiroshima, Fleet Tokyo)
America (Fleet Philippines, Fleet Hawaii, Fleet Los Angeles, Fleet New York)

2) Build Centers
Territories marked with black squares are build centers: the player who starts with it may build units on it as if it was a home supply center, but it gives no supplies.

3) Clarification of Territory Properties:
Egypt-Sudan and Central America have canals in them, and thus function as Kiel does.
British New Guinea has only one coast, the tip of it is just cut off the map.
Territories such as the Philippines, the Marina Islands, and Hawaii are Island chains. Armies may move into them, but otherwise they function as sea territories.
The Arctic and Southern Ocean spaces
The Arctic and Southern Ocean territories at the top and bottom should also tie the map together.

4) Edge Wrapping
The map wraps at the edges, as shown by the darkened areas at the side of the map corresponding to the opposite sides. I would recommend that the units from each side, as well as any changes in territory ownership, be displayed on the other side for ease of planning.
Last edited by Pharaoh of nerds on 28 Jul 2012, 22:05, edited 3 times in total.
GM Evil vs Evil vs Evil vs 'MURIKA
Creator + Britain 1930s World
Creator 1700, 1933, 1914 World
Japan in Zeus
Britain in 1900: Stars and Stripes
Messinia in Pericles
Franci in Imperium
Evil England in Root Z
Yellow in City-States and Zombies
Pharaoh of nerds

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1000)
All-game rating: (972)
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: 1914 World Diplomacy

Postby Shibabalo » 27 Jul 2012, 14:57

First, I should say that this map looks like it could add a great deal of intricacy and diplomacy to the original board, and I look forward to seeing it at it's finished state.

Here are my preliminary observations:

1) I think English Channel isn't labeled.
2) America seems powerful as all sh!t. They have five supply center--which aren't all that spread out, really, they're fairly isolated, and they have two guaranteed builds, one probable build, and access to two more.
3) Will Tripoli and and French West Africa both be fleets? If not, I don't really like the fact that they directly border each other...
SOLO- Baltic, Double Diplomacy
Draw- Layered, Dip Lite, 1700, Zeus, Simple, 1900 S&S
Loss- Some games

Classicist, Whippersnapper, Swag Bagel
Shibabalo

Standard rating: (950)
All-game rating: (1222)

Postby Pharaoh of nerds » 27 Jul 2012, 16:21

Shibabalo wrote:First, I should say that this map looks like it could add a great deal of intricacy and diplomacy to the original board, and I look forward to seeing it at it's finished state.

Here are my preliminary observations:

1) I think English Channel isn't labeled.
2) America seems powerful as all sh!t. They have five supply center--which aren't all that spread out, really, they're fairly isolated, and they have two guaranteed builds, one probable build, and access to two more.
3) Will Tripoli and and French West Africa both be fleets? If not, I don't really like the fact that they directly border each other...

1) I'll fix that
2) I made French West Africa a fleet so it can go for the Caribbean Archipelago, though come to think of it, most of the time it probably won't do that.
Also, I've been toying with the idea of making Canada one territory. Britain would still start with a fleet on the east coast of it, but it would directly border (by land) New York. I might even eliminate New England, it you think I have to.
I could also make the Caribbean Archipelago not a SC...
3) Tripoli is an army, FWA is a fleet. I think I'll extend FEA to go between them, I don't want to add another non-SC territory in Africa.
Japan in Zeus
Messinia in Pericles
Franci in Imperium
Evil England in Root Z
Pharaoh of nerds

Postby Shibabalo » 27 Jul 2012, 17:32

1) Same with British Somaliland.
2) What if you just made Houston a build center, instead of a supply center? I think America could do fine with four home scs--and it would also make them commit earlier on.
3) Good idea, extend the FEA.
4) You know, I'm not sure the German army in Cameroon can do one single thing without potentially pissing off France.
Loss- Some games

Shibabalo

Postby Pharaoh of nerds » 27 Jul 2012, 19:39

Shibabalo wrote:1) Same with British Somaliland.
2) What if you just made Houston a build center, instead of a supply center? I think America could do fine with four home scs--and it would also make them commit earlier on.
3) Good idea, extend the FEA.
4) You know, I'm not sure the German army in Cameroon can do one single thing without potentially pissing off France.

1) Originally, I had the map split in the middle of Asia. Those territory names were curved so they would fit, but since Inkscape treats curved text weirdly, when I copied the map to move the split to the Pacific, those didn't move with it and must have gotten deleted.
2) Having it as a build center is pointless, I'll just make it not an SC at all.
3/4) The problem is that FEA is a long skinny territory which borders a bunch of stuff on both sides. I think I have to divide it in two.
Japan in Zeus
Messinia in Pericles
Franci in Imperium
Evil England in Root Z
Pharaoh of nerds

Postby Shibabalo » 27 Jul 2012, 20:17

1) Ahh, I see.
2) The only reason I suggested making it a build center was so America could build two new units on their east side if they chose to, but either way is fine.
3/4) Yeah, maybe call one "French Equatorial Africa?"
5) Russia actually seems pretty weak. You strengthened Austria in Europe, and rightly so, but the result is that an Austrian move to Rumania seems to be expected. Hence, Russia would probably only get the one build, and even that is not guaranteed.
Loss- Some games

Shibabalo

Postby Pharaoh of nerds » 27 Jul 2012, 22:19

Shibabalo wrote:1) Ahh, I see.
2) The only reason I suggested making it a build center was so America could build two new units on their east side if they chose to, but either way is fine.
3/4) Yeah, maybe call one "French Equatorial Africa?"
5) Russia actually seems pretty weak. You strengthened Austria in Europe, and rightly so, but the result is that an Austrian move to Rumania seems to be expected. Hence, Russia would probably only get the one build, and even that is not guaranteed.

2) I hadn't considered that. I think I'll make it a build center after all.
5) What if I gave Russia Tsaritsyn (Stalingrad) as an SC?
Japan in Zeus
Messinia in Pericles
Franci in Imperium
Evil England in Root Z
Pharaoh of nerds

Postby Shibabalo » 27 Jul 2012, 22:43

5) Yes, good idea.

I see you updated the map; it looks better now.

Also, (I'm going to start over):

1) Is the absence of the Hel Bight deliberate?
Loss- Some games

Shibabalo

Postby Pharaoh of nerds » 27 Jul 2012, 23:28

Shibabalo wrote:5) Yes, good idea.

I see you updated the map; it looks better now.

Also, (I'm going to start over):

1) Is the absence of the Hel Bight deliberate?

1)...no.
I think what happened there was that the line and text for that somehow got into the background layer, then weren't copied when I shifted the point the map breaks at. I'll fix it.
Japan in Zeus
Messinia in Pericles
Franci in Imperium
Evil England in Root Z
Pharaoh of nerds

Postby Shibabalo » 28 Jul 2012, 14:41

Also, one concern I have about Canada being one territory: America's fleet in Los Angeles, if it wasn't being used to take Mexico, is going to move to the North-East Pacific... which borders Canada, and the British fleet if off taking Iceland. Hence, an American-British alliance seems to be hampered by this.
Loss- Some games

Shibabalo

Next

Return to PbF Variant Development