1930s World Diplomacy

8-player game in which players use Influence Points to control ten Minor Powers. Created by Pharaoh of nerds; GM shibabalo; 3-way draw between AardvarkArmy (China), Stnaislaw (Russia) and VaeVictus (France)

1930s World Diplomacy

Postby Pharaoh of nerds » 27 May 2012, 03:36

So a little while ago I decided to make a variant extending my 1933 europe map to include the Pacific. In order to have Japan not start with Manchuria I took the year back to 1930. Here is what I made. I'd very much like to hear any suggestions anyone might have regarding the map and rules (particularly those of the air units, which are as yet untested). I might eventually GM this (or rather, a future draft of this), and if I do I will give priority for slots to anyone who makes a suggestion that I use.

1) Major Powers
The playable countries (hereafter the "Major Powers") are as follows:

England (Fleet London, Army Liverpool, Fleet Edinburgh, Fleet Calcutta, Fleet Egypt)
France (Army Paris, Army Marseilles, Fleet Brest, Fleet Algiers, Fleet Saigon)
Italy (Army Venice, Army Rome, Fleet Naples, Fleet Tripoli)
Russia (Fleet Leningrad, Fleet Sevastopol, Army Moscow, Army Vladivstok, Army Stalingrad)
Germany (Fleet Hamburg, Army Hanover, Army Berlin, Army Munich)
China (Fleet Canton, Army Nanking, Army Peking, Army Chungking)
Japan (Fleet Formosa, Fleet Hiroshima, Fleet Tokyo, Army Seoul)
America (Fleet Hawaii, Fleet Los Angeles, Army Detroit, Fleet New York, Fleet Philippines)

2) Minor Powers
In addition to the playable powers, there are also ten Minor Powers, which the players control. These are marked by white territories with colorful borders. They are:

Finland (Army Helinski)
Poland (Army Warsaw)
Hungary (Army Hungary)
Rumania (Army Bucharest)
Spain (Fleet Madrid)
Turkey (Fleet Ankara)
Thailand (Army Thailand)
Australia (Fleet Australia)
Canada (Fleet Quebec)
Mexico (Army Mexico City)

These are controlled by the Major Powers through Influence Points (IPs).

Players bid IPs each year in the Minor Diplomacy Phase, at the beginning of every Spring Turn (The game starts in Spring 1933). The player with the most IPs invested in a Minor Power gains control of it.
At the beginning of the Minor Diplomacy Phase, each player collects 3 IPs for every Supply Center the control (IMPORTANT: The Build Centers in Arkhangelsk, Sapporo, Sicily, Quinghai, and East Prussia each count as one supply center when collecting IPs. The other build centers count for nothing). Each Minor Power has a rectangular box at the bottom-right. IPs, represented by tokens the color of the power that controls them, are in the boxes.
Before bidding starts, Influence decays. The IPs of each power left over from previous turns (those that are already in the boxes) are reduced by half. In the case of odd numbers, round up, unless doing so would cause there to be a tie with a player that had a greater amount of IPs before the reduction, in which case round down. After that, for every supply center annexed by the Minor Power the previous Winter, the Major Power controlling it is awarded 3 additional IPs in that box, and loses 3 for each center lost (to a minimum value of 0 IPs).
Next, Players write down what they bid for each power. Players may talk to one another at this time. Players may not trade or give away IPs, but may bid IPs (both new ones and ones carried over from previous turns) in support of another player, if specified in the orders. Players may also use IPs from previous turns that were in support of another power and switch the support to a different power or to themselves. In the first turn (Spring 1931), players may not bid more than 12 IPs on any one minor power. Once everyone is done or until the phase is over (recommended 5 minutes for FtF games, 12-24 hours for online games), whichever comes first, bids are read aloud. The bids are added to the pre-existing IPs in the boxes. Whatever Player has the most invested in a Minor Power gains control of it for the year. In the case of a tie, control goes to whatever player controlled it the previous year.
If the player who controlled a Minor Power the previous year is not part of the tie, Coalition Control is established. If that happens, each power in the tie writes orders for the Minor Power. For each unit, whatever order is submitted by the most powers is what happens. In case of a tie, the unit holds.
If a player takes a home supply center from a Minor Power he or she controls, he or she loses control of said Minor Power and may never bid for control of it again. Control is transferred to the player with the most IPs invested in it. If there is a tie, a Coalition controls it until the next bidding phase. In addition, the belligerent power loses all built-up influence with other Minor Powers, and in the future they only collect 2 IPs from each supply center they own instead of 3.
[OPTIONAL]:
Control of Minor Powers in not revealed except to secretly inform each player what Minor Power they control. Players communicate with Minor Powers (through the GM for postal/email games), not knowing which Major Power they are talking to. When communicating as Major Powers, players may lie about their control of a Minor Power. When communicating as Minor Powers, they may lie about what Major Power they are. What information is revealed is left to the discretion of the GM, but I recommend revealing before each bidding phase (but after adjustments in influence for decay and captured and lost SCs are made) the numbers of IPs invested in each power, but not who bid each number.
Thus, the GM would send something like this to everybody:
Turkey (7, 4, 3, 1)
Rumania (3, 1)
Hungary (1)
Poland (11, 9 with 1 support)
etc
with something like this to each player:
You have 7 in Turkey, 1 in Rumania, 1 in Hungary, and 1 in Poland (in support of Germany)

3) Ferry Borders
Land territories joined with double-headed arrows border one another, and as such both armies and fleets may move directly between them. Thus, Wales and Edinburgh each border Ireland, Seville borders Morocco, and New York and Mexico City (e.c.) both border Caribbean Islands. Passage between these territories is blocked if all Water Territories directly in between (bordering both of) the linked territories are occupied by fleets of another power, unless that power specifically writes to allow passage in their orders.

4) Victory:
A solo victory requires 38 Supply Centers, unless another one player has 30 or above, in which case play continues until either player gets 42 centers. The SCs of minor powers count towards the totals only if the player has 10 more IPs invested in it than the next highest power. Concessions or draws may occur at any time, the rules for them being left to the discretion of the GM.

5) Air Units (Optional)
a. The new unit "Plane" will be added
b. Planes will function in separate territories from the other units, like another board floating above the surface board. The air board will be identical to the surface board in territory shape and type. The Plane pieces will be placed on the regular board, but they will operate separately. Thus, they can share territories with surface units (but not each other!) because it's not really the same territory. The air territories will be written in orders with the same name as the corresponding surface territory, with the suffix "-Air" added. This would be abbreviated "-A." Thus, the air territory above London would be written as "London-Air,or abbreviated as "Lon-A."
c. Planes can move above land territories like armies can, except:
i. they may not be above enemy-held land territories, so if the territory they are above is occupied by enemy forces, they must retreat to an adjacent eligible space or be disbanded.
NOTE: to be clear, Planes may move to air territories above territories that are enemy-held, either expecting them to be captured that turn or for the purpose of cutting support or dislodging an enemy Plane there. Planes are dislodged as armies are, even if the territory they are above remains friendly and thus the attacking Plane cannot stay there.
ii. They function with a range of two territories, unless all two-territory routes to a territory are blocked by other Planes.
d. Planes may support events in adjacent air territories.
e. Planes may support events in the surface territory they are above, or any territories bordering it. They may simultaneously move to another air territory and support an event in the target air territory's corresponding surface territory. Just as land units can, they may cut one another's support.
Planes may “bomb” a surface territory up to two territories away from their surface duplicate (unless they are on a fleet in which case they may only do so in territories adjacent to their surface duplicate). This has the effect of cutting any support a unit there might give. If the target is an enemy supply center, bombing it deprives the target of 0.5 supply points for that year. If it is specifically an enemy home supply center in a fall turn, it also prevents any builds there. This is not a move to the territory above it; the Plane ends the turn in the same territory it started in (unless it is dislodged from that territory). However, without support it is bounced by an enemy Plane above the target territory, or enough enemy Planes in between to cut off all two-territory routes to the target territory.
Surface armies in supply centers, or fleets anywhere, may support air events in the air territory directly above them, with a combat value of 0.5. This uses up their turn.
f. Planes may not be present in an air territory above a water territory unless a friendly fleet is present in the water territory (either one of your own or another powers' if they gave written permission in their orders). Planes may make moves expecting a fleet to be there at the end of the turn, which bounce if that doesn’t end up being the case. It may make moves independent of the fleet while the fleet is moving, but it would have to be in either the territory the fleet is moving to (such as supporting the fleet into it) or a territory bordering both that and the original territory. If the fleet it is on is destroyed, it may retreat to an adjacent eligible space. If no such territory exists, it is destroyed along with the fleet.
g. Planes cost half as much supplies to build as armies or fleets. Thus if a power captures one supply center in a year (and loses none), it may build one surface unit or two Planes.
[OPTIONAL:]
h. Planes may convoy Armies (armies write it as "Army London Paratroop to Normandy") as fleets can, with the following exceptions:
i. When a Paratrooping army meets an equal enemy force moving into the same territory it is trying to move into, the enemy movement succeeds and the Paratroop bounces
ii. When a Paratrooping army bounces at the target territory, whether by a unit moving into there or one already there, the army is destroyed
iii. A Paratrooper convoy is cut if the Plane is attacked at all, regardless of whether it is dislodged or not
iv. There can be no chain paratroops like there are chain convoys with fleets
v. Planes may start in any territory that is adjacent to the Army (including directly above the army), and may drop it off anywhere that is within 2 territories of both starting territories (of the Plane and the Army)
vi. The presence of an enemy air unit above the target territory, or enough in between to block any possible 2-territory air route to the target territory, automatically bounces the convoy but does not destroy the Army.

6) Edge Wrapping
The territories on each edge of the map border one another. Borders are indicated by boxes on each side representing the territories on the other side.

7) Miscellaneous:

Denmark, Hamburg, Ankara, Egypt, Central America, Nunavut, Hawaii, Midway, Marshall Islands, Philippines, Indonesia, and Hiroshima all function as Denmark and Constantinople do in standard Diplomacy: armies or fleets can enter and exit them from whatever borders them, regardless of sea inside the territory or what looks like separate coasts. For example, a fleet or army in Singapore can go directly to Indonesia, and from there to New Guinea; A fleet or army in Alaska can go from there to Nunavut to Quebec.

Territories such as Arkhangelsk and Damascus with squares on them are Build Centers. The player that starts with it may build units on it, but it gives no supplies. With the exceptions of Arkhangelsk, East Prussia, Sapporo, Sicily, and Quinghai, they give no IPs

The game starts in Spring 1931 with an Influence Phase.

8) Abbreviations
AdS Adriatic Sea
Ags Aegean Sea
Alb Albania
Alg Algeirs
Ank Ankara
Apu Apulia
Ark Arkanghelsk
Aus Austria
Ban Banghazi
Bel Belgium
Ber Berlin
Bes Bessarabia
BkS Black Sea
Bre Brest
BrS Barents Sea
BtS Baltic Sea
Buc Bucharest
Bul Bulgaria
Bur Burgundy
Cam Cambodia
Cat Catalonia
Chz Chzechoslovakia
Cre Crete
Den Denmark
ECS East China Sea
Edi Edinburgh
Egy Egypt
EMS Eastern Mediterranean Sea
EnC English Channel
EPr East Prussia
Est Estonia
For Formosa
Gas Gascony
GoB Gulf of Bothnia
GoL Gulf of Lyon
GoT Gulf of Thailand
Gre Greece
Ham Hamburg
Han Hanover
HeB Helgoland Bight
Hel Helsinki
Hgy Hamgyong
Hir Hiroshima
Hol Holland
Hun Hungary
IoS Ionian Sea
Ire Ireland
Irq Iraq
IrS Irish Sea
Kac Kackar
Kio Kiopio
Kra Krackow
Lat Latvia
Len Leningrad
Leo Leon
Lit Lithuania
Liv Liverpool
Lon London
Mad Madrid
Mar Marseille
Mor Morocco
Mos Moscow
Mun Munich
NEn New England
Nor Normandy
Nor Norway
NtS North Sea
NwS Norwegian Sea
Pal Palestine
Par Paris
Per Persia
Pie Piedmont
Pin Pinsk
PoC Polish Corridor
Por Portugal
RdS Red Sea
Rom Rome
Ruh Ruhr
Sah Sahara
Sai Saigon
Sap Sapporo
Seo Seaul
Sic Sicily
Sil Silesia
Sin Singapore
Ska Skagerrak
Smy Smyrna
SoG Straight of Gibraltar
Sta Stalingrad
Sva Sevastopol
Svi Seville
Swe Sweden
Swi Switzerland
Syr Syria
Tha Thailand
Tra Transylvania
Tri Tripoli
Tun Tunis
Tus Tuscany
Tyr Tyrrhenian Sea
Ven Venice
Wal Wales
War Warsaw
WMS Western Mediterranean Sea
YeS Yellow Sea
Yor Yorkshire
Yug Yugoslavia
Last edited by Pharaoh of nerds on 03 Jun 2013, 03:30, edited 50 times in total.
GM Evil vs Evil vs Evil vs 'MURIKA
Creator + Britain 1930s World
Creator 1700, 1933, 1914 World
Japan in Zeus
Britain in 1900: Stars and Stripes
Messinia in Pericles
Franci in Imperium
Evil England in Root Z
Yellow in City-States and Zombies
Pharaoh of nerds

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1000)
All-game rating: (972)
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: 1930s World Diplomacy

Postby asudevil » 27 May 2012, 04:33

So Rolling 1933 to a different level?

I am not GM'ing this, just saying that now...
Captain FANG, forum team championships WINNER
Part of the surviving nations of WW4/Haven

Unless I am in the cheater's subforum. 99% of what I say is NOT as a mod.

Want to play fantasy football this season here...Reigning Champion
asudevil
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1351
All-game rating: 1497
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby bluestreaksoccer » 27 May 2012, 04:39

I'd play if you ever need anybody! The map looks great though!
"LIVE. DIE. REPEAT" -how I play diplomacy
bluestreaksoccer

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (852)
All-game rating: (855)

Postby diplomat42 » 27 May 2012, 05:09

Like, and it is a great topic, but...

The Atlantic and Pacific SZ's are wayyyy too big.

Also, you may want to do what A&A did and cut the map in central US.

I will give you a more detailed analysis of positions tomorrow, but UK seems strong. US seems weak.
Also, I think that you should be able to build airbases on non-SC's.
Glorious Nation of the Himalaya et.al in CYOC.
Classicist, Whippersnapper.

Generation 32 (The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.)

JOIN CITY-STATES AND ZOMBIES!
IT WILL BE OFF THE CHAIN
diplomat42

Standard rating: (1140)
All-game rating: (1289)
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby KidneyBean » 27 May 2012, 06:09

I agree with diplomat, the SZ's are excessively sizeable. In addition to this, you should probably cut up the East Indies SZ as well. I also disagree with the army in Calcutta. Britain is already supersized, and that army allows them to march into Tibet and Sinkiang, as well as Burma and Thailand, in the beginning. I would argue for a fleet there for concentrated early eastern expansion. You should probably make the Himalayas zone impassable, further limiting British expansion in the north. Europe looks great, you've done a terrific job with that.

Just a small clarification on Wings...if a wing moves two spaces to the right one turn, and the fleet it was resting on moves one space to the left the same turn (and the fleet is the only place it can land), can the Wing return three spaces to land on the fleet?

Anyway, that's my two cents. Consider my interest in playing this put forward! :D
KidneyBean

Standard rating: (1248)
All-game rating: (1248)
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby Pharaoh of nerds » 27 May 2012, 06:36

KidneyBean wrote:I agree with diplomat, the SZ's are excessively sizeable. In addition to this, you should probably cut up the East Indies SZ as well. I also disagree with the army in Calcutta. Britain is already supersized, and that army allows them to march into Tibet and Sinkiang, as well as Burma and Thailand, in the beginning. I would argue for a fleet there for concentrated early eastern expansion. You should probably make the Himalayas zone impassable, further limiting British expansion in the north. Europe looks great, you've done a terrific job with that.

I definitely agree that Britain is too powerful, but without an army in Calcutta, China would be practically un-opposed in all those SCs near it...
What do you think of dropping the SC in Mongolia, Sinkiang, and/or Tibet?

Just a small clarification on Wings...if a wing moves two spaces to the right one turn, and the fleet it was resting on moves one space to the left the same turn (and the fleet is the only place it can land), can the Wing return three spaces to land on the fleet?

I hadn't envisioned that they could, but I really don't know. The Wing rules are in a very rough state right now. Do you think they should be allowed to? If not, how can I adjust the wording of the rules to be more clear?
Japan in Zeus
Messinia in Pericles
Franci in Imperium
Evil England in Root Z
Pharaoh of nerds

Postby Pharaoh of nerds » 27 May 2012, 06:42

diplomat42 wrote:Like, and it is a great topic, but...

I will give you a more detailed analysis of positions tomorrow, but UK seems strong. US seems weak.

Building new airbases is a cool idea, but I don't want to add too much extra complications to the game, given that I already have build centers and minor powers and air units. I'll consider it.

The size of the Sea zones has to be like that or America would be way too isolated. However, I am very open to suggestions regarding adjusting their positions.

Given that I'm cutting out most of Africa and Central Asia, I have to cut the map there. If I included those areas, Britain, France and Russia would be overwhelmingly powerful.

Any specific ideas about how to strengthen the US? It'll probably end up involving some adjustment to the SZ positions, as mentioned above, but I'm not sure exactly what yet.
Japan in Zeus
Messinia in Pericles
Franci in Imperium
Evil England in Root Z
Pharaoh of nerds

Postby Pharaoh of nerds » 27 May 2012, 06:44

As soon as I find the time, I'll adjust the font size and abbreviate the territory names that need to be abbreviated.
Japan in Zeus
Messinia in Pericles
Franci in Imperium
Evil England in Root Z
Pharaoh of nerds

Postby stalin813 » 27 May 2012, 08:50

Pharaoh of nerds wrote:
diplomat42 wrote:Like, and it is a great topic, but...

Building new airbases is a cool idea, but I don't want to add too much extra complications to the game, given that I already have build centers and minor powers and air units. I'll consider it.

The size of the Sea zones has to be like that or America would be way too isolated. However, I am very open to suggestions regarding adjusting their positions.

Given that I'm cutting out most of Africa and Central Asia, I have to cut the map there. If I included those areas, Britain, France and Russia would be overwhelmingly powerful.

Any specific ideas about how to strengthen the US? It'll probably end up involving some adjustment to the SZ positions, as mentioned above, but I'm not sure exactly what yet.

Why not make Alaska- USA Owned. That could help. I mean, if Hawaii is USA owned, Alaska should be as well.
Best to get me at night (8pm to 12pm EDT)
stalin813

Standard rating: (982)
All-game rating: (1279)

Postby sjg11 » 27 May 2012, 11:53

I would definitely play this.
One of the people in charge of the Mafia forum.
Telleo wrote:The mafia forum, to them,
Sir SJG's known as a gem,
He writes a good game,
and runs it the same,
Oh what a perfect GM!

Come on Arsenal!
sjg11

Standard rating: (908)
All-game rating: (899)
Timezone: GMT

Next