Pitched Chess (Or, General Guy Hubin's Vision Ruleset)

This is the place for games which are currently being created and developed, and where the designer is listening to feedback from other players. The game is not ready to play, and the designers are not looking for sign-ups - indeed, they may have no intention of GMing the game themselves when it is finished. But your input is welcome!

Moderator: Morg

Forum rules
Despite repeated requests, designers are still regularly posting maps of several hundred Kb size. All maps should be under 80Kb and preferable 50-60 maximum. Unless you have prior permission, any larger map will be removed without warning.

Pitched Chess (Or, General Guy Hubin's Vision Ruleset)

Postby Abu Hajaar » 21 May 2022, 11:27

originally written in this document

Note: I know this is not necessarily diplomacy, but I've found little luck advertising this chess ruleset elsewhere; I guess I can argue that this is still connected to diplomacy from the order creation-adjudication turn system, but then, the support mechanic here is absent, and the map turned into a square board divided into a grid.

~~~

1. The game has two phases - the order phase and the adjudication phase. Both players write down the orders for their pieces in the first phase, which will be revealed for the second, where those will be simultaneously applied and adjudicated accordingly.
  2. All pieces both players have on the board are given the option to do their legal moves once each order phase, which the player can choose to do or not.
    • 2b. Macedonian Version: each player can only move a single piece per turn.
  3. No two pieces can occupy a single tile within the same turn.
    1. A piece cannot move onto a tile still occupied by another friendly piece upon adjudication, which effectively cancels the order.
    2. When a piece is ordered onto a tile where another piece is moving upon adjudication, their movement will bounce, making both pieces stay on their original tiles. Whatever piece caught within the bounce tile is considered captured.
    3. In the case of pieces that can move unlimited distance in a linear direction (such as queens, bishops, and rooks in chess), they will travel every tile their order had prescribed before stopping on the tile before the one where rule 3a or 3b applied.
    4. Enemy pieces attacking each other will produce a clash, causing both to stay on the last tile they occupied or validly moved upon.
    5. In the case of pieces that can jump (such as knights in chess), they will capture an enemy piece that was either there or moved there upon adjudication.
  4. A piece is captured once it stays on a tile where an enemy piece moves upon adjudication.
  5. A piece will always stop upon the tile of an enemy piece it captured.
  6. The game can be won by capturing the opposing king, or a player’s surrender.
  7. Both players can agree upon a draw.
Abu Hajaar

Return to PbF Variant Development