2018 Live Mafia

Does what it says on the tin.

Moderators: Telleo, bkbkbk, condude1, sjg11, Zoomzip

Re: 2018 Live Mafia

Postby RedSun » 06 Mar 2018, 01:17

I'm interested but can't guarantee I'll be able to participate
Groups:
The Glorious Holy Asterian Empire in CYOC
RedSun
 
Posts: 2131
Joined: 10 Jun 2017, 00:21
Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1156)
All-game rating: (1173)
Timezone: GMT-6

Re: 2018 Live Mafia

Postby Keirador » 06 Mar 2018, 02:34

I'm reading Samin Nosrat's "Salt Fat Acid Heat" right now, and so far my biggest takeaway is that I need a broader variety of high-quality vinegars. I only regularly use white, cider, and rice vinegars, which is frankly embarrassing compared to the 10 - 12 cooking fats and 6 - 12 salts I have on hand at all times. In defense of my acids game, I also stock sweet and dry vermouth, sherry, rice wine, fresh lemons and limes, and at least a few acidic hot sauces. But I could be doing so much more with vinegars! I could make my own!

As we're moving in a few months, the Director of Relationship Activities will probably not approve an imminent expansion of the pantry or an elaborate fermenting experiment, so I suppose I'll just have to wait.
Did you know there’s a faceless old woman who secretly lives in your home? It’s true. She’s there now. She’s always there, just out of your sight. Always just out of your sight.
User avatar
Keirador
 
Posts: 9454
Joined: 01 Dec 2008, 21:36
Location: Living secretly in the home of every single resident of Night Vale
Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1132)
All-game rating: (1133)
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: 2018 Live Mafia

Postby kimpossible » 06 Mar 2018, 05:55

Keirador wrote:I'm reading Samin Nosrat's "Salt Fat Acid Heat" right now, and so far my biggest takeaway is that I need a broader variety of high-quality vinegars. I only regularly use white, cider, and rice vinegars, which is frankly embarrassing compared to the 10 - 12 cooking fats and 6 - 12 salts I have on hand at all times. In defense of my acids game, I also stock sweet and dry vermouth, sherry, rice wine, fresh lemons and limes, and at least a few acidic hot sauces. But I could be doing so much more with vinegars! I could make my own!

As we're moving in a few months, the Director of Relationship Activities will probably not approve an imminent expansion of the pantry or an elaborate fermenting experiment, so I suppose I'll just have to wait.

Dear god, I'm not sure what's going to happen in a few months when ZZ and I combine our vinegar collections.
Bearer of the Former Aura of Greater Towniness
Owner of the highly coveted and very prestigious First to Notice Award

Her?
User avatar
kimpossible
 
Posts: 6718
Joined: 28 Jun 2017, 20:54
Location: Arlington, VA
Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1058)
All-game rating: (1063)
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: 2018 Live Mafia

Postby Nanook » 06 Mar 2018, 05:59

kimbyrle wrote:
Keirador wrote:I'm reading Samin Nosrat's "Salt Fat Acid Heat" right now, and so far my biggest takeaway is that I need a broader variety of high-quality vinegars. I only regularly use white, cider, and rice vinegars, which is frankly embarrassing compared to the 10 - 12 cooking fats and 6 - 12 salts I have on hand at all times. In defense of my acids game, I also stock sweet and dry vermouth, sherry, rice wine, fresh lemons and limes, and at least a few acidic hot sauces. But I could be doing so much more with vinegars! I could make my own!

As we're moving in a few months, the Director of Relationship Activities will probably not approve an imminent expansion of the pantry or an elaborate fermenting experiment, so I suppose I'll just have to wait.

Dear god, I'm not sure what's going to happen in a few months when ZZ and I combine our vinegar collections.

Image
^It's a flavor explosion.
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

Admin
User avatar
Nanook
Site Admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 10700
Joined: 19 Jun 2014, 19:52
Location: East TN
Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1209)
All-game rating: (1413)
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: 2018 Live Mafia

Postby kimpossible » 06 Mar 2018, 06:57

Keirador wrote:I'm reading Samin Nosrat's "Salt Fat Acid Heat" right now, and so far my biggest takeaway is that I need a broader variety of high-quality vinegars. I only regularly use white, cider, and rice vinegars, which is frankly embarrassing compared to the 10 - 12 cooking fats and 6 - 12 salts I have on hand at all times. In defense of my acids game, I also stock sweet and dry vermouth, sherry, rice wine, fresh lemons and limes, and at least a few acidic hot sauces. But I could be doing so much more with vinegars! I could make my own!

As we're moving in a few months, the Director of Relationship Activities will probably not approve an imminent expansion of the pantry or an elaborate fermenting experiment, so I suppose I'll just have to wait.

Yeah, you at least should have red wine and white wine vinegars and a decent balsamic to round out that list. The rest of mine start getting a little esoteric, like ume plum, or orange blossom. And I have like 8 different flavors of balsamic because people keep giving them to me as Christmas gifts.
Bearer of the Former Aura of Greater Towniness
Owner of the highly coveted and very prestigious First to Notice Award

Her?
User avatar
kimpossible
 
Posts: 6718
Joined: 28 Jun 2017, 20:54
Location: Arlington, VA
Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1058)
All-game rating: (1063)
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: 2018 Live Mafia

Postby shadowface » 06 Mar 2018, 13:07

K, you're down for live mafia, ya? It'd be a shame not to have you.
The player formerly known as shadowfriend1

The begrudging bearer of the Talisman of Greater Scumminess :twisted:
User avatar
shadowface
 
Posts: 4844
Joined: 06 Feb 2013, 06:26
Location: Vancouver
Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (892)
All-game rating: (892)
Timezone: GMT-8

Re: 2018 Live Mafia

Postby Keirador » 07 Mar 2018, 01:18

shadowface wrote:K, you're down for live mafia, ya? It'd be a shame not to have you.

I'd need to see the specific proposal but probably not. I feel like video or even audio would be too messy; it's hard enough to keep everything straight in face-to-face. And I'm not sure chat would be much better.
Did you know there’s a faceless old woman who secretly lives in your home? It’s true. She’s there now. She’s always there, just out of your sight. Always just out of your sight.
User avatar
Keirador
 
Posts: 9454
Joined: 01 Dec 2008, 21:36
Location: Living secretly in the home of every single resident of Night Vale
Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1132)
All-game rating: (1133)
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: 2018 Live Mafia

Postby shirt » 07 Mar 2018, 01:59

RedSun wrote:I'm interested but can't guarantee I'll be able to participate

+1
Time is somewhat of an issue at the moment, so don't plan around me, but if things line up (more likely after april 8th) i would like to join. (GMT+1)

My 2 cents on the mechanics-side:
+1 on the discord suggestion
i'm also not against video (keeping voices separate without it, would be .... challenging),
definitely worth a shot at least once. Main issue i see here though is, i doubt we all get it running and i'm not entirely sold on having facial-tells on half the town

Game specific: obviously, GM's discression, (and full-disclosure, my live experience is limited to face-to-face), but
- I'd go with 15-minute days and 5-minute nights (10 minutes is really short(even without roles) for the earlier days (that's not counting the 'who speaks next'-issues, which are easier face-to-face) and (with roles) 40% downtime is a lot, especially when those intervals are too short to do something else)
- not sure how to handle the vote (The 'updates every half hour'-tabulator wont work here), i assume someone with digital-live experience could fill this one in, better than i could.
- i'd say the scum-team in general will know each-other, though limiting their communications otherwise is fine by me
(going by 'f2f' again, 1 minute-tops of sign-language, subtle enough no one hears movement should be enough if there isn't an 80-page game to run through to search for role-hints)

(1-am-overthinking seems to have kicked in again)
I'm literally a five headed dragon... Who cares!
User avatar
shirt
 
Posts: 745
Joined: 06 Apr 2012, 15:45
Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT +1

Re: 2018 Live Mafia

Postby shadowface » 07 Mar 2018, 02:09

shirt wrote:
RedSun wrote:I'm interested but can't guarantee I'll be able to participate

+1
Time is somewhat of an issue at the moment, so don't plan around me, but if things line up (more likely after april 8th) i would like to join. (GMT+1)

My 2 cents on the mechanics-side:
+1 on the discord suggestion
i'm also not against video (keeping voices separate without it, would be .... challenging),
definitely worth a shot at least once. Main issue i see here though is, i doubt we all get it running and i'm not entirely sold on having facial-tells on half the town

Game specific: obviously, GM's discression, (and full-disclosure, my live experience is limited to face-to-face), but
- I'd go with 15-minute days and 5-minute nights (10 minutes is really short(even without roles) for the earlier days (that's not counting the 'who speaks next'-issues, which are easier face-to-face) and (with roles) 40% downtime is a lot, especially when those intervals are too short to do something else)
- not sure how to handle the vote (The 'updates every half hour'-tabulator wont work here), i assume someone with digital-live experience could fill this one in, better than i could.
- i'd say the scum-team in general will know each-other, though limiting their communications otherwise is fine by me
(going by 'f2f' again, 1 minute-tops of sign-language, subtle enough no one hears movement should be enough if there isn't an 80-page game to run through to search for role-hints)

(1-am-overthinking seems to have kicked in again)

These are really good points! Especially about how unrealistic it is to get everyone with working video-chat in reality :P

For votes, maybe some live polling? Might be something discord can do, I'd check that.

And scum communication I'm thinking could just happen during the night phase while the GM processes stuff and roles submit orders. Just have them create their own private chat or message each other.
The player formerly known as shadowfriend1

The begrudging bearer of the Talisman of Greater Scumminess :twisted:
User avatar
shadowface
 
Posts: 4844
Joined: 06 Feb 2013, 06:26
Location: Vancouver
Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (892)
All-game rating: (892)
Timezone: GMT-8

Re: 2018 Live Mafia

Postby Blackswimmer » 08 Mar 2018, 14:39

Interested, with standard caveats about time, date, ect. I'm on GMT.
Ugluk wrote:Blackswimmer: Sinking in the deep end.

I'll be back
User avatar
Blackswimmer
 
Posts: 1934
Joined: 08 Jan 2013, 12:32
Location: Wales
Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT

PreviousNext

Return to Live Games

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests