2018 Live Mafia

Does what it says on the tin.

Moderators: Telleo, bkbkbk, condude1, sjg11, Zoomzip

Re: 2018 Live Mafia

Postby shadowface » 16 Apr 2018, 19:26

kimbyrle wrote:
shadowface wrote:
kimbyrle wrote:Has this forum ever attempted anything with Werewolf: Inquisition?

How would it differ from online mafia or resistance?

I'm looking over the rules... it's a board game and I've never actually played it, so I wasn't sure if anyone had attempted to translate it.

The part I think could translate is that there are openly-known roles that aren't actually assigned to players; each phase players choose to either use a role publicly, or get two votes. Once all the roles have been used, everyone votes.

But then there's a part related to physical cards on the board that would get wonky, so... probably wouldn't work overall. But the first part could possibly be massaged into an interesting mechanic for a game.

The roles sound a little bit like Fable 9's, and I've seen that kind of thing before. In Fable 9 there were 'costumes' or something like that that people got to bid on each night, and it went to the highest bidder.

I looked the game up too, and it says you can have 3 or 4 players, which is kind of what's appealing about this for live mafia. Because our 4 player setup could use some jazz, if you know what I mean. And if we could do 3 players... well, that might be problematic, because we are never going to stop playing in that case :D
The player formerly known as shadowfriend1

The begrudging bearer of the Talisman of Greater Scumminess :twisted:
shadowface

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (892)
All-game rating: (892)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby kimpossible » 16 Apr 2018, 19:51

shadowface wrote:
kimbyrle wrote:
shadowface wrote:How would it differ from online mafia or resistance?

I'm looking over the rules... it's a board game and I've never actually played it, so I wasn't sure if anyone had attempted to translate it.

The part I think could translate is that there are openly-known roles that aren't actually assigned to players; each phase players choose to either use a role publicly, or get two votes. Once all the roles have been used, everyone votes.

But then there's a part related to physical cards on the board that would get wonky, so... probably wouldn't work overall. But the first part could possibly be massaged into an interesting mechanic for a game.

The roles sound a little bit like Fable 9's, and I've seen that kind of thing before. In Fable 9 there were 'costumes' or something like that that people got to bid on each night, and it went to the highest bidder.

I looked the game up too, and it says you can have 3 or 4 players, which is kind of what's appealing about this for live mafia. Because our 4 player setup could use some jazz, if you know what I mean. And if we could do 3 players... well, that might be problematic, because we are never going to stop playing in that case :D

Well then maybe I'll take a crack at translating it for live format! A Google doc with the card layout might facilitate that part?
Bearer of the Former Aura of Greater Towniness
Owner of the highly coveted and very prestigious First to Notice Award

Her?
kimpossible

Standard rating: (1058)
All-game rating: (1063)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby shadowface » 16 Apr 2018, 19:53

kimbyrle wrote:Well then maybe I'll take a crack at translating it for live format! A Google doc with the card layout might facilitate that part?

So why do the cards need to be moved manually? Like, what purpose does moving the cards serve?

I'll look at the rules more closely and try to figure it out. But I can almost guarantee there's a way to do it. :)

shadowface

Postby kimpossible » 16 Apr 2018, 19:54

shadowface wrote:
kimbyrle wrote:Well then maybe I'll take a crack at translating it for live format! A Google doc with the card layout might facilitate that part?

So why do the cards need to be moved manually? Like, what purpose does moving the cards serve?

I'll look at the rules more closely and try to figure it out. But I can almost guarantee there's a way to do it. :)

It has to do with how the wolves make their night kill, something to do with the positions of the cards and who chose them, I think. I only gave it a cursory glance, would have to look more closely.

Her?
kimpossible

Postby Nanook » 16 Apr 2018, 20:08

shadowface wrote:Sure! Maybe I'll do some flavour for the resistance - aside from Avalon, do you know any other special versions of resistance?

Sounds like you're describing variants more than flavor. If so, there's a couple more out there I think, but I'm not personally familiar with them.
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

Admin
Nanook

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1209)
All-game rating: (1413)

Postby shadowface » 17 Apr 2018, 14:26

nanooktheeskimo wrote:
shadowface wrote:Does anyone have a preference for next weekend's game, in terms of timing? Either Saturday or Sunday is fine with me.

I'm thinking I'll run a resistance game at the start, because that worked well yesterday, and then nanook can play resistance and I don't have to :). And after that we can play some mafia.

Sunday works better for me.

Happy to run a couple mafia games after the resistance game ends!

So, if no one else has a preference, I'll go with Sunday at 19:00 UTC for the start of resistance. I'd prefer to start a little earlier than last week so I don't need to stay up quite so late, and because resistance actually takes a lot longer than mafia - pretty much 1.5 to 2 hours for a game.

shadowface

Postby Nanook » 17 Apr 2018, 14:28

shadowface wrote:
nanooktheeskimo wrote:
shadowface wrote:Does anyone have a preference for next weekend's game, in terms of timing? Either Saturday or Sunday is fine with me.

I'm thinking I'll run a resistance game at the start, because that worked well yesterday, and then nanook can play resistance and I don't have to :). And after that we can play some mafia.

Sunday works better for me.

Happy to run a couple mafia games after the resistance game ends!

So, if no one else has a preference, I'll go with Sunday at 19:00 UTC for the start of resistance. I'd prefer to start a little earlier than last week so I don't need to stay up quite so late, and because resistance actually takes a lot longer than mafia - pretty much 1.5 to 2 hours for a game.

I dunno what that is in EDT, and I'm too lazy to look it up. 2pm? 3pm? I think 3pm. That works fine for me--earlier the better, really, but I know people often have sunday afternoon plans.
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

Admin
Nanook

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1209)
All-game rating: (1413)

Postby kimpossible » 17 Apr 2018, 15:34

It's 3 pm EDT.

Shadow, could you add this to the OP for players who are slightly less lazy than Nanook? (<3 you Nook. ;) )

Click here if you need to convert to another time zone.

Her?
kimpossible

Postby shadowface » 17 Apr 2018, 15:39

kimbyrle wrote:Shadow, could you add this to the OP for players who are slightly less lazy than Nanook? (<3 you Nook. ;) )

Oh, you mean just the time zone converter itself? Good idea.

shadowface

Postby kimpossible » 17 Apr 2018, 15:46

shadowface wrote:
kimbyrle wrote:Shadow, could you add this to the OP for players who are slightly less lazy than Nanook? (<3 you Nook. ;) )

Oh, you mean just the time zone converter itself? Good idea.

Yeah. :)

Her?
kimpossible

PreviousNext

Return to Live Games