2018 Live Mafia

Does what it says on the tin.

Moderators: Zoomzip, bkbkbk, Telleo, condude1, sjg11

2018 Live Mafia

Postby shadowface » 05 Mar 2018, 01:21

Here is a link to the discord server, where the games are played: https://discord.gg/gwJ3gA4

Playdip Mailing List
Condude1
Fuddin
Sinnybee
Shadowface
Bkbkbk
Zoomzip
Kimbyrle
Parabellum
Starwatcher009
Sjg11
Dwiltse1114
RedSun
Shirt
Blackswimmer
Willie23
Mat.gopack
Zander
Telleo
Princeali
Vulcanlogician
Damon Huntington
Mhsmith0
D. Redfield
Nanooktheeskimo
UFO Fever
AKFD
Fatmo

*Note: Some of our regular players do not have Playdip accounts and are therefore not listed here. If you want to notify everyone, ask someone with an account on Atheist Forums, Mafia451, and MafiaScum to contact players from those sites. Or just message the non-Playdip players on Discord.

--
OP:
I've always wanted to try Live Mafia on Playdip, and I think we have the numbers right now to give it a go. I've never played a Live game online before, but this is how I am thinking it could work:

• In the old days the community used an IRC, which seems to not be functioning anymore because it's kind of outdated. Instead, I can create a channel on Discord, which is a free group instant messaging platform, for us to play. I can create an invite link, and you can just join the server with your Playdip screen name.
  • Anyone who is potentially interested should let me know in this thread, as well as their timezone and when they might be available to play. I'll add you to a list, and then when we want to run a game, I'll let you know a day or so in advance. You can decide whether you want to play in any individual game based on your schedule at the time, but we'd obviously try to choose times that make sense for the most people.
  • Approximately 15 minute day phases and 10 minute night phases (I'm estimating, based on my experience in Face to Face mafia)
    Maybe 10 minute day phases and 5 minute night phases if there aren't roles.

If you have suggestions for how this could be done better, especially from the people who used to play Live Mafia on this site, please let me know :)

If we can get 10 or so interested players, I think we could make this work! It might be especially nice for those who can't commit to anything but still like this place, for us to get some mafia in between games, or for anyone who just can't get enough ;)
Last edited by shadowface on 21 Oct 2018, 00:59, edited 43 times in total.
The begrudging bearer of the Talisman of Greater Scumminess :twisted:

sjg11 wrote:You seem almost intelligent
shadowface

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (892)
All-game rating: (892)
Timezone: GMT-8

Re: 2018 Live Mafia

Postby condude1 » 05 Mar 2018, 01:23

It depends when this is run. In the Summer, I'm in in a heartbeat, but IDK if I have time for a 3 hour live game in the next few weeks.

Also, have you considered Discord over Slack?
Telleo wrote:I don't think I've ever met someone who more perfectly embodied Chaotic Neutral than Condude1.

Moderator of the Mafia Subforums!

Silver member of The Classicists!
condude1

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1368)
All-game rating: (1307)

Postby shadowface » 05 Mar 2018, 01:29

condude1 wrote:It depends when this is run. In the Summer, I'm in in a heartbeat, but IDK if I have time for a 3 hour live game in the next few weeks.

Yes, I think it would be best to run the first game after wyse's game, or at least once most of the players in it are dead. So probably in a few weeks from now.

condude1 wrote:Also, have you considered Discord over Slack?

Probably works too, Slack's just the one I'd heard of.

Discord actually looks easier to use, so it might be better.

shadowface

Postby nanooktheeskimo » 05 Mar 2018, 01:35

shadow wrote:In the old days the community used an IRC, which seems to not be functioning anymore because it's kind of outdated. Instead, I can create a channel on Slack, which is a free group instant messaging platform, for us to play. I can create an invite link, and you'd just need to sign up for Slack using an email and then we can play by our Playdip screen names.

The IRC lapsed cause it was being maintained by a player, who then left the site. The site is exploring other options but there's nothing solid in place yet.

I'd also echo condude's suggestion of Discord--no signup required, and there's a voice option for people that want to use that.
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

I am your (co-) Leader.

GM of WitA 7, WitA 8.

Come play face to face!

Need a forum game GM'ed? PM me!

Mod (but I'm normally not talking as one)
nanooktheeskimo
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1209
All-game rating: 1389
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby nanooktheeskimo » 05 Mar 2018, 01:36

Also, super interested! I'm ostensibly on EST but really my schedule is in flux a lot.
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

I am your (co-) Leader.

GM of WitA 7, WitA 8.

Come play face to face!

nanooktheeskimo
Premium Member

Postby shadowface » 05 Mar 2018, 01:39

nanooktheeskimo wrote:
shadow wrote:In the old days the community used an IRC, which seems to not be functioning anymore because it's kind of outdated. Instead, I can create a channel on Slack, which is a free group instant messaging platform, for us to play. I can create an invite link, and you'd just need to sign up for Slack using an email and then we can play by our Playdip screen names.

The IRC lapsed cause it was being maintained by a player, who then left the site. The site is exploring other options but there's nothing solid in place yet.

I'd also echo condude's suggestion of Discord--no signup required, and there's a voice option for people that want to use that.

Thanks for the suggestion - I checked it out and it's really simple, so I think that would be better to go with.

shadowface

Postby sinnybee » 05 Mar 2018, 01:56

Interested.
shadowface wrote:Approximately 15 minute day phases and 10 minute night phases (I'm estimating, based on my experience in Face to Face mafia)

If you have suggestions for how this could be done better, especially from the people who used to play Live Mafia on this site, please let me know :)

We usually played vanilla with shorter phases, more like 10 minute day phases and 5 minute night phases (playing multiple games per day while there were enough players), but of course 15 min day and 10 min night is better suited if there are specific game rules going on.
I like cupid and lovers roles :)
Gold Classicist since 1-11-11
FT Asst GM of 35 player WWIV Aug 2011-Feb 2012
#1 ranked player of playdip early 2013
4th highest forum karma count at Apr 2013 ending (behind Craw, Dipsy, and Rick)
Tournament Director of the 31 game PDVT Feb-Dec 2014, the first playdip tourney with over 100 sign-ups
sinnybee

Standard rating: (1332)
All-game rating: (1467)
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby UpsideDownChuck » 05 Mar 2018, 03:32

We should play with video chat so I can see what you goobers look like and how it matches my perception.
UpsideDownChuck

Standard rating: (1406)
All-game rating: (1424)
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby nanooktheeskimo » 05 Mar 2018, 03:38

UpsideDownChuck wrote:We should play with video chat so I can see what you goobers look like and how it matches my perception.

I'd be down
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

I am your (co-) Leader.

GM of WitA 7, WitA 8.

Come play face to face!

nanooktheeskimo
Premium Member

Postby kimpossible » 05 Mar 2018, 03:38

UpsideDownChuck wrote:We should play with video chat so I can see what you goobers look like and how it matches my perception.

That seems like it would devolve into shouting reeeeeeally quickly.
Aspiring Member of the Classicists!
Proudly part of the ftf tournament community

Bearer of the Aura of Greater Towniness

Her?
kimpossible

Standard rating: (1058)
All-game rating: (1063)

Next

Return to Live Games