AARs

7 player game with identical starting positions and special rules regarding builds. Devised by David E Cohen and introduced and GMd by Pedros. Winner: theangrycastle (Russia)

AARs

Postby Pedros » 14 Jun 2012, 18:19

How was it for you?
"Sooner or later, one of us will stab the other. But for now we're both better off as allies" (kininvie)
Pedros

Location: Somewhere full of gorse and brambles, West Cornwall
Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1085)
All-game rating: (1314)
Timezone: GMT

Re: AARs

Postby Freddafred » 14 Jun 2012, 18:20

What was the result?
EDIT: It was a good game thanks Pedros for GMing it. Originally I wanted to ally with Russia but that didn't work.
Then after a mis order on builds :oops: (I forgot to specify army or fleet) I was very weak. I was isolated and Russia was able to collapse onto me. We all wanted a build season 1 so we went to different places. I think it was a good variant.
Thomas Jefferson wrote:Freddafred is smart
Italy in Crowded
Carthage in Ancient Med
Barbarians in Haven
Mexico in WW4
Vandals in Barbaria
Spain in Conquest
III3
Italy in Modern
Russia in Stew
Mordor in MEBR
England in 3 turn
USSR in Versailles 3
The Greecians in ECYOC
Zarami in FCYOC
Freddafred

Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby The Pez » 14 Jun 2012, 19:10

Слава России!

Congrats Russia, I was watching that game avidly.
The Pez

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (972)
All-game rating: (974)
Timezone: GMT

Postby stalin813 » 15 Jun 2012, 02:59

At the beginning of the game, i recognized that there were 7 starting spaces and 7 players, to prevent random bounces from determining who would have the early upper hand, I asked everyone to agree to pick a slot and go for it. Surprisingly everyone agreed. I really didn't think they would, especially, theangrycastle has he actually had to change his intended slot as a result of not publically announcing. My real plan was that some people would still bounce because a couple spaces were not that good, IMO, and then we could gang up on those people easily(public enemies if you will), however, everyone agreed and I was in the center of the board. From here, I had already talked with Russia about an alliance and for the beginning part of the game, this went smoothly. I successfully stabbed France in the Caribbean and had a nice little empire going, unfortunately at this point in the game, Russia was mopping up Spain and I knew I was next on the menu. I tried to stab Russia first and I think it would have worked, had he not been able to rally THE ENTIRE BOARD against me. Kudos Russia!!!! From there it was downhill, Scotland tried to work out an agreement with me, but in my mind it was trading one solo for another and I felt Russia earned it more.
Best to get me at night (8pm to 12pm EDT)
stalin813

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (982)
All-game rating: (1279)

Postby theangrycastle » 18 Jun 2012, 20:34

As Stalin had mentioned, he came up with the idea of us all picking a spot. I messaged everyone my choice, but Freddafred called my choice publically, so I had to change it. This was a blessing. I was going to go for 1, which I'm now realizing would have left me in a fight with whoever took 2, with no other direction to expand and with no real allies. So thanks, fred. Stalin was someone i knew and respected from War in the Americas, and we allied early on.
I sent my second fleet to the Pacific, not realizing until right when pedros was making the map that the better move would have been to send my second fleet to the atlantic and try to wipe out fred as quickly as possible. First, France bounced me when I tried moving out of the Pacific, which gave freddafred's fleet a chance to move a bit more and led to that years-long fight over Vancouver. I was able to slowly push him out of the east, with a bit of help from Stalin. Once I had him mostly defeated I was able to rapidly expand into the center of North America.
I was getting 5 builds on the turn I finally defeated Spain. I wasn't actually going to fight Stalin. I'm not one for stabbing long-term allies, and he seemed busy enough in South America that I wasn't worried. What I was actually going to do (and this is probably silly) was build 5 fleets, sent 3 of them to the tip of South America, and send the other two through the Pacific to surround him. Of course, Stalin pulls off a one-center stab right before I do this, so I abandon my plans and go to war with him. Funny enough, if he had waited one more year, I would have been in a much worse position to fight him.
Once Stalin attacked me, I realized that I couldn't stand up to him on my own. He was more powerful than anyone else, and could probably have fought a 2-front war. So what I did was send an e-mail to everyone full of panic about how England was going to wipe the map with us and that the only thing we could do was to unite together into a grand alliance against him. Everyone agreed, Freddafred and I even came to a truce. Granted, this mostly meant that Scotland stopped fighting with Netherlands and Denmark for long enough for Netherlands to bring full force against England. With this much power against him, England folded rather quickly. By this point, Spain/Denmark/France were too small to really matter, and Scotland started attacking the southern minor powers out of boredom. He stabbed Netherlands when England was crumbling. All of this drama in the South gave me enough time to grow to within a few centers of victory. Because of my position on the map, no one could really do much to attack me, other than England (who was trying to stop me) and Netherlands (who was busy being stabbed). England had tried to come to some compromises that would leave him in the game, like splitting America East/West with me, and I agreed to them just long enough to let me position and grow a bit.
One thing I'm proud of was that I was able to keep the anti-English alliance going for at least a bit without people turning against me. I put work into things like coming up with DMZs and plans for who would get what so that no one would turn against me. I think it worked, but that could be my ego.

All in all, it was a good game, and I thank all of you and I thank Pedros for being one of the best GMs on the site. Thank you lots! I like the map, and the concept. Naming things was fun, but I think we all used up our name ideas about half-way through. I would play it again, but I do think that minor tweaks to the map might help. North America seems to be naturally less crowded and with more centers than South America. Then again, that could just be bias because of how this game went.
theangrycastle

Standard rating: (949)
All-game rating: (951)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby David E. Cohen » 23 Jun 2012, 22:09

Good to see a winner in one of my variants. As some of you may know, I am not a big fan of draws. :lol:

Anyway, congratulations to Russia, a big thank you to the GM for running the game, and I hope you all enjoyed it.
The Academy of Creative Destruction is looking for new members. Please contact me if you have questions or are interested in joining the ACD.
David E. Cohen

All-game rating: (1000)

Return to Conquest of the Americas {All Maps Lost}