Discussion on powers

GMd by asudevil. Draw between marsman57 (England), attitudes (Italy), Morg (Austria) and stalin813 (Russia)

Re: Discussion on powers

Postby asudevil » 01 Apr 2012, 18:37

BUT, what if 2 people put the same power at number 2, or any number, who gets it that year, and who gets it the year after....

I would go with Random off the entire list...

But it makes it a lot harder to figure out how to plan ahead when you dont know what power you will get the next year. I would maybe try this with minor powers first?...I dont know...

I definitely wouldnt blind (but not blind) bid every year....although if you did...You would submit bids with your winter builds, and it shouldnt be THAT much more work for the GM...it also shouldnt slow the game down, because he would figure it out and then PM every person and say "your powers for this season are..."
Captain FANG, forum team championships WINNER
Part of the surviving nations of WW4/Haven

Unless I am in the cheater's subforum. 99% of what I say is NOT as a mod.
asudevil

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1351)
All-game rating: (1437)
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby cheesers52 » 01 Apr 2012, 19:04

The thing with random is that it would be unfair. One person would get insect in year one and one person would get illusionist. This way no one can complain because they set it up.

If more than one person puts a power as number two they all get it!

I didn't think of the bids that way, it's a good idea, though like you I still wouldn't care to do it.
cheesers52

Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby attitudes » 01 Apr 2012, 19:10

Let me think about it. I had read the section on the variations of the game but at the time didn't want to deviate that much from Vain Rats I. This version might make for a better game though. A different game for sure.

Keep the suggestions and ideas coming. I'm more than happy to tailor the game to the wants of the players.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things.

Be careful when you blindly follow the masses. Sometimes, the M is silent.

on indefinite hiatus
attitudes

Class: Ambassador
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby asudevil » 01 Apr 2012, 19:52

I dont think multiple people should have the same major power the same season.
Captain FANG, forum team championships WINNER
Part of the surviving nations of WW4/Haven

Unless I am in the cheater's subforum. 99% of what I say is NOT as a mod.
asudevil

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1351)
All-game rating: (1437)
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby attitudes » 01 Apr 2012, 20:47

asudevil wrote:I dont think multiple people should have the same major power the same season.

I don't either.

What about a blind auction to determine the seven powers that will be played and then I will then randomly assign each player the order in which they will receive the powers? Once those powers are used, then I can either randomly assign a new list or the player could just repeat the order over. We could do this for just the major power, just the minor power, or for both powers. That wouldn't be any extra work load for me as GM other than verifying that each player was properly playing the correct power. I'm a programmer; I'll figure something out.

This would provide players the opportunity to use all of the powers but still give the players the knowledge of which power they will be using for each season. The players will know the seven powers in the game but they won't know the order of the powers for the other players unless that information was divulged. Telling the truth about a power would be optional of course.

on indefinite hiatus
attitudes

Postby cheesers52 » 01 Apr 2012, 21:36

attitudes wrote:
asudevil wrote:I dont think multiple people should have the same major power the same season.

I don't either.

What about a blind auction to determine the seven powers that will be played and then I will then randomly assign each player the order in which they will receive the powers? Once those powers are used, then I can either randomly assign a new list or the player could just repeat the order over. We could do this for just the major power, just the minor power, or for both powers. That wouldn't be any extra work load for me as GM other than verifying that each player was properly playing the correct power. I'm a programmer; I'll figure something out.

This would provide players the opportunity to use all of the powers but still give the players the knowledge of which power they will be using for each season. The players will know the seven powers in the game but they won't know the order of the powers for the other players unless that information was divulged. Telling the truth about a power would be optional of course.

Hmm... as in everyone would get the same seven powers, but it a different order? Or each person would get their top seven in a random order, and no one would know which seven each player has?
cheesers52

Postby attitudes » 01 Apr 2012, 22:02

cheesers52 wrote:
attitudes wrote:

I don't either.

Hmm... as in everyone would get the same seven powers, but in a different order? Or each person would get their top seven in a random order, and no one would know which seven each player has?

My thinking when I wrote it was that each player would get the same seven powers but in a different order. But I could go the other way as well.

on indefinite hiatus
attitudes

Postby cheesers52 » 01 Apr 2012, 22:40

attitudes wrote:My thinking when I wrote it was that each player would get the same seven powers but in a different order. But I could go the other way as well.

I like the idea, although random might be unfair. For example, if one person gets insect in the first year compared to the person who gets in in year seven. But as the GM you could probably regulate it so that it's mostly fair.
cheesers52

Postby attitudes » 01 Apr 2012, 23:27

Another thing to remember is that some of the powers cannot be used during all or part of 1901. If we go random rotating order, it might be best to start all of the powers in 1902. This would also prevent the non-build for Turkey that occured in VR1.

I would also suggest that Insect not be an option in this type of format. Unless the players picked the first seven powers and then Insect was added as a possible power randomly assigned beginning in 1905.

Another question. Would the player get the power for Spring and Fall season (ie: one power for the entire year)? I ask because the Hawkonnen power could not be used if the powers rotated season to season.

on indefinite hiatus
attitudes

Postby cheesers52 » 02 Apr 2012, 00:11

I would do per year as oppose to per season, but it's up to you.

I hadn't thought about that 1901 thing, it's a valid point... you'll have to adjust a lot of the powers to fit certain season if we do it randomly.

How about you let the players choose their seven powers, and if they choose the same power as someone else you make them choose a different one, or randomly assign them one? Actually, I think there would be way too many doubles...

Why don't you guys want there to be more than one power in a year?
cheesers52

PreviousNext

Return to Game 1