New Tournament?

Compete in a Tournament game hosted on PlayDiplomacy.

New Tournament?

Postby CapturingBravo » 04 Apr 2021, 20:23

Hey All,

Any interest in a new tournament, or is there an upcoming tournament? Happy to do Standard, or a variant such as Ancient Med.

Best,
CapturingBravo
CapturingBravo
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1124
All-game rating: 953
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: New Tournament?

Postby Chairpusher » 05 Apr 2021, 16:10

Would be happy to play Standard.
Chairpusher
Premium Member

Standard rating: 842
All-game rating: 857
Timezone: GMT

Postby Pete the Great » 07 Apr 2021, 12:20

There are two major tournaments run on the site; SuperPastis and PDL. Both do signups in the Nov/Dec timeframe with first rounds starting in January. Both are usually looking for subs as there is always some turnover in each round for various reasons. PDL round 2 is in full swing while SuperPastis round 2 will start shortly. You can find them on the forum to check out the rules/scoring and how to sign up. Links below.

viewtopic.php?f=934&t=61499

viewtopic.php?f=819&t=61512
Pete the Great
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1134
All-game rating: 1148

Postby Jensen » 08 Apr 2021, 03:50

I would be interested in a 1 on 1 tournament. The games go a lot faster so can fit in around other games quite easily.
Jensen

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1414
All-game rating: 1426
Timezone: GMT

Postby CapturingBravo » 09 Apr 2021, 00:51

My idea is to create a Public Press Only Tournament. i've played a few games under this format and it's really intriguing because everything is in the public view and you need to be a great group communicator.

We can cap these games at Fall Build 1910. Open ballot and scoring in draws will be solely based on # of centers owned. If someone solos, they receive 18 points and nobody else receives points from that game.

I'd like to see if anyone would like to help me coordinate this. My idea is to start by having 21 people in the tournament. Only 2 rounds. Countries randomized.

3 games for the first round, and then there's a final game with the top 7 scorers from the first round games. Countries randomized.

Please reply to this thread if you are interested.
CapturingBravo
Premium Member

Postby Ekphrasis » 09 Apr 2021, 03:45

CapturingBravo wrote:My idea is to create a Public Press Only Tournament.i've played a few games under this format and it's really intriguing because everything is in the public view and you need to be a great group communicator.

We can cap these games at Fall Build 1910. Open ballot and scoring in draws will be solely based on # of centers owned. If someone solos, they receive 18 points and nobody else receives points from that game.

I'd like to see if anyone would like to help me coordinate this. My idea is to start by having 21 people in the tournament. Only 2 rounds. Countries randomized.

3 games for the first round, and then there's a final game with the top 7 scorers from the first round games. Countries randomized.

I am definitely interested, and would join. I also have a few suggestions:

(1) The turns need to be at least 24/24/24, to account for players on both sides of the Pond.

(2) Capping at 1910 might be too soon, PPO games take longer to develop than classic Dip. I'd say 1915.

(3) I'd prefer sum-of-squares scoring, which is different than just total SCs at the end of the game. It's a bit more fair than just straight SC count. There will also probably be ties after the first round, so there will need to be a tiebreaker.

But I enthusiastically endorse this tournament, and would love to play in it! Adding fog-of-war makes it even more fun, but that's probably too intense for this first iteration.
Ekphrasis
Premium Member

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: 974
All-game rating: 943
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby CapturingBravo » 09 Apr 2021, 05:50

Ekphrasis wrote:
CapturingBravo wrote:My idea is to create a Public Press Only Tournament.i've played a few games under this format and it's really intriguing because everything is in the public view and you need to be a great group communicator.

I am definitely interested, and would join. I also have a few suggestions:

(1) The turns need to be at least 24/24/24, to account for players on both sides of the Pond.

(2) Capping at 1910 might be too soon, PPO games take longer to develop than classic Dip. I'd say 1915.

(3) I'd prefer sum-of-squares scoring, which is different than just total SCs at the end of the game. It's a bit more fair than just straight SC count. There will also probably be ties after the first round, so there will need to be a tiebreaker.

But I enthusiastically endorse this tournament, and would love to play in it! Adding fog-of-war makes it even more fun, but that's probably too intense for this first iteration.

YES! all terrific suggestions. I'm actually not sure how to cap games at a certain game year, so maybe we just play it through until the players agree to a certain draw - let it happen organically. Could you explain sum-of-squares scoring? how is that different than SC count.
CapturingBravo
Premium Member

Postby Ekphrasis » 09 Apr 2021, 23:44

CapturingBravo wrote:YES! all terrific suggestions. I'm actually not sure how to cap games at a certain game year, so maybe we just play it through until the players agree to a certain draw - let it happen organically. Could you explain sum-of-squares scoring? how is that different than SC count.

Sure, here goes:

Imagine 2 scenarios, one where you solo with 18, another where you draw with 12.

Under straight center count, an 18-center solo is worth 1.5× a 12-center draw (18 ÷ 12 = 1.5, pretty straightforward).

Under sum-of-squares, you take the square of your center count, and divide it by the squares of your count PLUS all the remaining centers.

So a solo with 18 is worth .559 (18² ÷ (18² +16²)), while a 12-center draw is worth .229 (12² ÷ (12² + 22²)). A solo is therefore worth 2.44× a 12-center draw (.559 ÷ .229 = 2.44), which more accurately reflects the difficulty of achieving a solo (and also a 2-way 17-center draw). Note that anyone who has a center gets some points, so it effectively requires DIAS.

It's a pretty easy formula, and is the preferred scoring method over at another website which I won't name (so it won't show up on searches). It's also the baseline for PlayDip scoring on ranked games, which our overlords then adjust in an obscure and uncertain way to account for opponents' rankings.
Ekphrasis
Premium Member

Postby jay65536 » 10 Apr 2021, 01:54

Both your description of sum of squares and your description of how it is used on the site are wrong.

Sum of Squares actually works this way: in any solo, the winner gets all the points. In any draw, your score is your center count squared, as a proportion of the sum of squares of all the center counts.

The site ranking system is purely draw-based and does not depend on center count in any way.
jay65536

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1120
All-game rating: 1126

Postby Ekphrasis » 13 Apr 2021, 22:23

jay65536 wrote:Both your description of sum of squares and your description of how it is used on the site are wrong.

Sum of Squares actually works this way: in any solo, the winner gets all the points. In any draw, your score is your center count squared, as a proportion of the sum of squares of all the center counts.

The site ranking system is purely draw-based and does not depend on center count in any way.

Actually, that's exactly how SOS works when you don't have an initial pot, which we obviously don't have here on PlayDip. In some versions, solos get all the points, in others they don't, but in a two-round tournament (as proposed), a solo in the 1st round would virtually guarantee overall victory, so solo-takes-all probably isn't a very effective scoring system in this context.

As for this site's ranking, I was referring to how some tournament scoring is done, but yes, I was wrong that any of those weird tournament scoring systems account for standard player rankings, which none do.
Ekphrasis
Premium Member

Next

Return to PlayDip Tournaments