Association Diplomacy Championship

Compete in a Tournament game hosted on PlayDiplomacy.

Association Diplomacy Championship

Postby Mr.E » 03 Feb 2018, 21:42

I've been considering this for a while now and finally decided to post it.

The ASSOCIATION DIPLOMACY CHAMPIONSHIP is not quite a tournament, neither a series in the mould of the PDES. However, I thought the Tournaments section would probably be the best place to run it from. If there's enough interest, I'll ask for a sub-forum (might even get one :) ).

The basic idea is that players create their own games and advertise them on the Forum. You can play as many games as you like, within the length of the Championship, but your score will be divided by 4. Which means that, within the Championship, to maximise your score you'll need to play in 4 or more games.

There will be no rounds, as such, just a number of games played between March and October - the season. Any games which are organised (set-up and advertised) before or on 1 October and start by 15 October will count, regardless of when they finish. Games that end AFTER 31 October will, therefore, count if they start in time.

The games themselves will be played on the standard map using full communication rules. They may feature other variants, such as AoE or Winter 1900, for instance, except Chaos, Escalation and Stuff Happens - they're too different, to my mind. The only other specification will be that games must be DIAS and Anonymous Players.

Deadlines - well, this is almost a do-it-yourself thing so the deadlines are what the game creator chooses.

Because the games will be advertised and played in the Tournaments section, I believe they'll be Premium only, although I don't believe there's a way to prevent non-Premiums entering these games as replacements. (I understand that, despite the guidelines on Premium membership on the games side saying that Anonymous games are a Premium feature, this has been removed.)

I suppose that making the games Premium isn't absolutely necessary, but I would hope that this would result in better quality games.

The scoring system I'm thinking of using is a basic 3 pts for a win, 1 pt for a draw (for games which result in a 5-player draw or less - 6-player draws and 7-player draws will result on 0 pts but will count as a game played), 0 pts for a loss. Surrenders will result in -3 pts but these will be handled differently: while regular point scoring will be totalled and divided by 4, as stated above, a surrender will result in -3 pts from the final quotient.

This is likely to result in ties, of course. Tie-breakers will be, in this order:
1. Solos will place a player above draws (so, if players are tied on quotient points, a player with 2 solos will rank higher than a player with 1 solo, who will rank higher than a player with only draws).
2. Lead Mean Supply Centre Difference
(a) The number of SCs a player finishes a game on will be recorded and totalled for every game played in the Championship. If the game finishes in a solo, the winner's count is 18 SCs; every other player counts 0 for that game. For games which end in a draw, the number of SCs a player finishes on is that player's score.
(b) A lead total is also recorded; for a game that ends in a solo, the lead total scores 18; for a game that ends in a draw, the number of SCs held by the player who has most SCs is scored.
(c) The total of lead SC scores in all games will be divided by the number of games played in the Championship, to produce the Lead SC Quotient.
(d) Finally, the Lead SC Quotient will be subtracted from each player's SC score for the Championship, with higher differences ranking above lower differences.

NB: For all scoring purposes, decimals will be rounded to the third decimal place.

ONLY PLAYERS FINISHING (being registered in a game when it ends) IN A MINIMUM OF 3 GAMES WILL RECEIVE A PLACING IN THE CHAMPIONSHIP.

Replacements
- If a player surrenders from a game, the replacement will score fully as described above if points are scored or if the replacement features for at least half the game.
- However, if the replacement features for less than 50% of the game, and loses the game, that game will be counted as a fractional game only, fractions counted as full turns played by the player divided by turns played in the game. So, if a player joins in Fall 1906, is eliminated in Spring 1908, and the game ends in Fall 1910, the player will count as having played 0.2 games (4 turns played divided by 20 turns for the game). If a player joins the game in a Retreat or Adjustment phase, that turn will not be counted.
NB: For the purposes of calculating fractional games, decimals will be rounded to the first decimal place.

If we're going to go for this, then, let's see if there's any interest. I'll then finalise the rules, and we'll be off. What are your thoughts?
Respect neither opinions nor beliefs; only respect the person and the right to express them.
Play by the rules but be ferocious.
Mr.E
Premium Member

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: 966
All-game rating: 1134
Timezone: GMT

Re: Association Diplomacy Championship

Postby mjparrett » 03 Feb 2018, 23:16

Good luck to you. I wonder if there is a bit of overlap with the PDL and you might struggle for interest? I guess the lack of structure might open it up to more people; people who felt the PDL was too prescriptive or with deadlines they didn't like.

Regardless, with my PDES participation and the PDL, I am full right now. But good luck all the same.
mjparrett

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1488
All-game rating: 1524

Re: Association Diplomacy Championship

Postby Mr.E » 04 Feb 2018, 11:51

It's possible that there is some overlap - there's a lot going on! PDES, PDL... and then others, no doubt.

ADC is, perhaps, more open-ended, for want of a better word, than either of these, I think. Rather than having someone organise, create, and populate games, the idea with ADC is that anyone who can enter can do it. No set deadlines, a wider range of possible game options in general. It's a drop-in and drop-out idea; play when you can but get a minimum of 3 games in within the 9 months the season lasts.

PDES is quite restrictive in who can potentially feature - as it should be. PDL has a set schedule - as it should. ADC is meant to be more flexible or relaxed. So I think there are some differences.

But there is the possibility for overload and I understand that concern. Both PDES and PDL have great formats, and are very different from each other. I couldn't enter either, PDES because I don't have the rating (and it's likely to take me a while to get there with the number of games I can play), and PDL's deadlines weren't something I could guarantee making (and I think I probably returned too late to consider it anyway!) So ADC was deliberately aimed at making it accessible to players regardless of rating or deadline potential.

I think there's room but I accept there may not be.
Respect neither opinions nor beliefs; only respect the person and the right to express them.
Play by the rules but be ferocious.
Mr.E
Premium Member

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: 966
All-game rating: 1134

Return to PlayDip Tournaments