PDET - My Take

Compete in a Tournament game hosted on PlayDiplomacy.

Re: PDET - My Take

Postby gsmx » 13 Nov 2015, 06:54

HonestAbe wrote:My personal hope would be that once this tournament is over, it's second edition would begin soon after. I think the level of play is better. And one way to improve it is to bar players who've surrendered in the present edition. Of course, I realize running it is hard work, so those of us who like the tournament would need WHSeward or someone else to continue with the thankless task.

I think a little break in between would probably be wise to help deter burnout.
The first quality that is needed is audacity.
gsmx

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (2097)
All-game rating: (2475)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby Carebear » 13 Nov 2015, 07:37

gsmx wrote:
HonestAbe wrote:My personal hope would be that once this tournament is over, it's second edition would begin soon after. I think the level of play is better. And one way to improve it is to bar players who've surrendered in the present edition. Of course, I realize running it is hard work, so those of us who like the tournament would need WHSeward or someone else to continue with the thankless task.

I think a little break in between would probably be wise to help deter burnout.

I agree. As it is, I think this tournament may go over a year (first game started Jan 31).

There may be value, if this becomes an annual thing (which I would support), to reducing it to four rounds instead of six. To help keep play to under a year and provide a break between events.
You can have my last supply center, when you pry it from my cold dead hands.

Spam Ambassador Wannabe

Officially Sanctioned Site Gadfly (meaning the negative kind of sanction)
Carebear

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1573)
All-game rating: (1589)
Timezone: GMT+8

Postby JU10 » 22 Nov 2015, 06:02

Carebear wrote:
gsmx wrote:I've heard a lot of chatter lately about how anonymous favours high rankers, which i'm not quite sure I fully understand.

I have heard a little chatter on it, but not a lot. I also do not understand how it would favour higher ranked players. Maybe someone with this opinion could elaborate on it?

Yeah, I truly don't get what they mean by that. For example, Senlac stated that opinion in the first page of this thread, but he didn't elaborate at all why he feels that is the case.

I've come to realize that in real-life FTF tournaments the top players consists of quite a small circle of players (who have time, money and willingness to travel often for the tourneys etc.) and that basically your past reputation is an integral part of the game experience. In FTF games anonymity is obviously impossible so I understand it, it's inevitable. But I don't think it's optimal or at least it's not like how I like to play this game - I don't want this tournament to end up being a really "insider-y" thing where forum personalities, past game history etc. will end up being crucial factors. It's not fun for me and I bet it's not fun for most people who are not forum regulars and really into the whole community aspect of the site or really into going through people's past games. The games should stand alone as much as they can, that's how I see it :)

And yes, overall the tournament was a really good experience and I hope it becomes an annual thing. :) Maybe 5 rounds with the best 3 results counting? Or the best 4?
Platinum member of the Classicist group
JU10

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1769)
All-game rating: (1796)
Timezone: GMT

Previous

Return to PlayDip Tournaments