Want format for a two-team tournament

Compete in a Tournament game hosted on PlayDiplomacy.

Want format for a two-team tournament

Postby Wellington » 10 Sep 2015, 14:58

A couple of us oldies were PMing the other day and the idea of a tournament pitting Oldies group members against Student. It sounded like a lot of fun, but as I looked over tournament formats that have been tried on PDO I realized that there was a big problem with the idea, the numbers. Because of the seven game empires, I see tournaments for multiples of seven independent players, or multiples of seven teams of players, but I don't see any way to work a tournament around just two teams.

An additional complication is that of a fair game with two or more players from the same team participating, even if anonymously.

Are these problems solvable? Has anyone heard of a Diplomacy tournament for just two teams?
Wellington

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (924)
All-game rating: (929)
Timezone: GMT+9

Re: Want format for a two-team tournament

Postby nanooktheeskimo » 10 Sep 2015, 15:17

I had an idea that a Students vs. Oldies challenge or tourny would be fun a few weeks ago...it kind of got put on the back burner for me before I could get even as far as starting a public discussion, but the issue I ran into was exactly this, how to do it fairly.

The best option I could think of was shorthanded games, but that brings it's own challenges too. I look forward to hearing the better ideas that are come up with here!
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

I am your (co-) Leader.

GM of WitA 7, WitA 8.

Come play face to face!

Need a forum game GM'ed? PM me!

Mod (but I'm normally not talking as one)
nanooktheeskimo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Standard rating: 1209
All-game rating: 1389
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Wellington » 14 Sep 2015, 01:44

One simple set-up is to have seven players on each team, then play two games, one with 4 versus 3 from each team and the other with 3 versus 4.

Setting aside the possibility of a tie, would symmetrical games like that make a fair tournament, even though the 3-man team would be at a disadvantage in each game? Would fairness be improved by making the games Gunboat and/or making a rule against trying to identify which team other players are on during a game? Is there any way to enforce such a "no identify" rule other than the honor system?
Wellington

Standard rating: (924)
All-game rating: (929)
Timezone: GMT+9

Postby Mali Belizec » 13 Mar 2018, 15:23

Why not making 7, 14 or 21 team and than making the tournament. One team would be oldies, the other would be students, third would be classicist....
‘Beware of the man of one book’

Bronze member of The Classicists.
Mali Belizec

Standard rating: (1055)
All-game rating: (1056)
Timezone: GMT+1

Postby condude1 » 20 Aug 2018, 09:22

Two other possibilities:

1. Make it a two-player tournament! Problem Solved. The major con is that, obviously, it's not true dip.
2. Take the 4v3/3v4 method suggested by Wellington, but make specific countries teamed. A Western Triple vs. the World or RAG vs. the world setup seems alright.

A weird quirk is that stalemate lines are really easy to set up on teams, since having 18 on the more powerful side doesn't end the game on the spot. This also means that teams might take YEARS of maneuvering after lines are set slowly having one power phagocytose the others so it's a solo for that team, rather than a 7-way draw.
Telleo wrote:I don't think I've ever met someone who more perfectly embodied Chaotic Neutral than Condude1.

Moderator of the Mafia Subforums!

Silver member of The Classicists!
condude1

Standard rating: (1368)
All-game rating: (1307)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby condude1 » 20 Aug 2018, 09:25

Actually, the 2 player idea is what you're looking for. It's not going to be true dip in any case, since no real diplomacy will take place. FvA is a tried and true setup that makes for some fun games.

Or maybe go for 2P games, but have teams of 3 play each country? Player A takes '01, Player B takes '02 etc.
Telleo wrote:I don't think I've ever met someone who more perfectly embodied Chaotic Neutral than Condude1.

Moderator of the Mafia Subforums!

Silver member of The Classicists!
condude1

Standard rating: (1368)
All-game rating: (1307)
Timezone: GMT-8

Return to PlayDip Tournaments