Idea for a new team tournament

Compete in a Tournament game hosted on PlayDiplomacy.

Idea for a new team tournament

Postby rick.leeds » 05 Apr 2015, 13:34

Well, team tournaments are difficult to run. I've yet to finish the Cup of Nations... mainly because I had so many problems with players not joining/confirming in games that I lost the will to continue. (I'll see if I can get it finished somehow in the near future...)

So I've been trying to come up with a format which isn't quite as intensive to the TD... and basically it's making team captains responsible for ensuring places are taken up in games, rather than the TD chasing around after people who fail to join or confirm (who then apologise... and fail to do so again in the same game or other games :roll: ).

Here's the basic idea.

- Members can create their own team. That team would have it's own sub-forum, a team captain and a minimum of three members. There would be no requirement for any qualifications to join the team other than members be Premium and anything the team captain wanted to set as a requirement.
- Once a team has at least three members I'd set up the sub-forum and anything else that needed to be done.
- The TD would create the games (as normal) and send the details to the captains. The captains would be responsible for placing players in a game. If a player didn't join or didn't confirm in time, that player would be given a warning from the TD (two occasions would mean automatic removal from the tournament); captains would be able to take further action as far as the team was concerned. The captain would need to find a replacement player for the game.
- Captains could recruit as many members to their teams as they wanted. They would have the authority to play any player in any game (within the rules of the tournament) and would not have to play every player.
- Members could apply to join teams at anytime. Captains might accept applications or not. There would be a thread for players to sign-up to be picked-up by any team.
- Once in a team, a player may not switch teams if s/he had represented a team in a game for the remainder of the tournament. At any time, though, if a player hadn't represented the team, s/he could apply to an alternative team OR be recruited by another captain.

Games.
- I'm thinking of having a selection of games for the tournament from different variants. I'm thinking of having captains nominate which games to include in a round. The process for this would depend on the number of teams.
- The number of games in a round and the number of rounds would be set later. Of course, each team would need to play the same number of games per round, so this would depend on the number of teams.
- Deadlines: I firmly believe that the deadlines for moves in tournament games should be 2 days as a minimum, including Gunboat. I know this lengthens games and you may feel 48 hours to get Gunboat orders in longer than necessary but the important thing is that players have the opportunity to give a tournament game their attention. Probably more important in a team tournament.

Scoring.
I'll need to think about this but will put up a scoring system for sign-ups. It needs to be fairly simple and it needs for a solo to not be too much higher in score than two draws. In a team tournament, where a solo scores too highly, one solo could decide much of the tournament as far as ending the competitiveness goes. Secondary systems can also be used to separate, say, a solo from two 2-ways.

Just the beginning of the idea for now. There's no point in my developing it further (although I do have the thinking to lay things out more clearly) until there is enough interest to get things going.
World Diplomacy Forum.
Online Resources editor at the Diplomatic Pouch.
Don't let the stepladder get you. Watch where you're stepping. ANY step could be a doozy.
rick.leeds
Site Admin
Site Admin

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1158)
All-game rating: (1070)
Timezone: GMT

Re: Idea for a new team tournament

Postby asudevil » 05 Apr 2015, 17:54

I would consider being in/running a team.

I would personally love my team to be made of DFVG'ers and show that those of us who can't get enough main site are the BESTEST and the BRIGHTEST minds we have on site.
Captain FANG, forum team championships WINNER
Part of the surviving nations of WW4/Haven

Unless I am in the cheater's subforum. 99% of what I say is NOT as a mod.
asudevil
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1351
All-game rating: 1447
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby charliep007 » 05 Apr 2015, 18:02

Ha! Well if asu can pull such a team together, I'll throw my hat in with a select team of non-DFVG players just to put that debate to bed ;-)
charliep007

Standard rating: (2340)
All-game rating: (2310)

Postby asudevil » 05 Apr 2015, 18:28

charliep007 wrote:Ha! Well if asu can pull such a team together, I'll throw my hat in with a select team of non-DFVG players just to put that debate to bed ;-)

Fine...but we get Alman
Captain FANG, forum team championships WINNER
Part of the surviving nations of WW4/Haven

Unless I am in the cheater's subforum. 99% of what I say is NOT as a mod.
asudevil
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1351
All-game rating: 1447

Postby Lukan » 05 Apr 2015, 19:17

charliep007 wrote:Ha! Well if asu can pull such a team together, I'll throw my hat in with a select team of non-DFVG players just to put that debate to bed ;-)

pick me pick me!
Lukan

Location: The best country in the world (no offence to all other countries that exist)
Standard rating: (1806)
All-game rating: (1861)
Timezone: GMT+1

Postby JonS » 05 Apr 2015, 19:23

I think a team of Platinum Classicists could be fun...which would mean that WE get Alman. :)

Or open it broader...and have two Classist teams...one for Platinum/Gold, one for Aspiring/Bronze/Silver...

I like the idea of a team tournament in general, and agree it makes sense to put more responsibility on the captain and off the Tournament Director
“Find an ally who will die for you, and see that he does just that.”
The immortal Richard Sharp

Platinum Member of the Classicists Club
House Tyrell in Diplomacy of Ice and Fire
JonS

Standard rating: (1557)
All-game rating: (1606)

Postby charliep007 » 05 Apr 2015, 20:58

Jons I think I qualify for platinum now ;)
charliep007

Postby charliep007 » 05 Apr 2015, 20:58

@lukan, you'd be one of my first picks pal!
charliep007

Postby Alman » 05 Apr 2015, 21:22

**senses an opportunity. Reading up on the subject of recruiting fees. ;)

Classicists got my heart first, but DVFG (now PbFDV, much simpler ;) may have the greater part of my heart.

Sounds like fun. I can't commit to raising a team, got enough of my plate, but I would love to play in the tournament.
Bronze Member: The Classicists & Oldies
War in the Americas 7 PbF

"The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote" -Kosh
"Nothing has to be true, but everything has to sound like it was." -Salvor Hardin
Alman

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1466)
All-game rating: (1586)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Jack007 » 05 Apr 2015, 21:31

What the heck are DFVG players? :shock:
Jack007 (xxxx.) unbanned for dubious reasons
Member of the Honorables
There is no greater solitude than the samurai's,
unless it be that of the tiger in the jungle… perhaps…
-bushido
Jack007
Premium Member

Location: Ionian Sea (Roccella Ionica) ⛵ Instagram jack060856
Standard rating: 1410
All-game rating: 1685
Timezone: GMT+1

Next

Return to PlayDip Tournaments