The Ancient Mediterranean Tournament

Compete in a Tournament game hosted on PlayDiplomacy.

The Ancient Mediterranean Tournament

Postby sinnybee » 05 Aug 2012, 07:55

{Don't know whether it was you sinnybee or a malign influence who altered the title of this thread, but I've changed it back! (Pedros)}

It's what you've all been waiting for!
*cheers and thunderous applause* ;)
It's the Ancient Mediterranean Tournament, with myself as the Tournament Director.

Coming soon!
EDIT: wrote:This will probably start on about October 1st (give or take a couple weeks).

This post will be edited as rules and details are laid out, determined, and finalized.

EDIT: wrote:I'm going to seed players based on their current playdiplomacy rank. The reason for this is that I don't want to risk the chance of having players who may be better or more experienced play against each other in the first round games, resulting in some of them being cut to not play in round two because of being up against what might be better competition.

If we go with a 25 player tournament, I'd like to have the two first round games played as follows:
Code: Select all
   1 15 22 17  8
  10  2 14 23 19
  16  9  3 12 24
  25 18  7  4 11
  13 21 20  6  5

The number refers to the seed of the player, and each player will play two round one games, one against those in their row, and one against those in their column.

With a 25 player tournament I plan on having 15 players play in two Round 2 games and 5 players play one Round 3 game.

This tournament will not take place with less than 20 players.
If we have 20 players (and less than 25), I'm currently thinking:

Qualifiers/Phase 1:
All 20 players play in 2 simultaneous games:
(4 games times 5 players each) Regular, Classic, Fog of War and/or Stuff Happens? (TBD), 2/1/1 or 3/1/1 or 3/2/2 deadlines (48/24/24 or 72/24/24 or 72/48/48) (TBD)
(4 games times 5 players each) Public Press Only or Regular (TBD), Winter 1900 or Build Anywhere (TBD), 2/1/1 or 3/1/1 or 3/2/2 deadlines (48/24/24 or 72/24/24 or 72/48/48) (TBD)
The second game will probably start about 4 days after the first game starts.

After all Phase 1 games are complete (2 games per player), the 10 highest scoring* players (in a TBD scoring system, with games 1 and 2 equally contributing to player scores) advance to
Semifinals/Phase 2:
(2 games times 5 players each) Gunboat, Age of Empires, probably 24/24/24 (TBD)

After Phase 2 games are complete (1 game per player), the 5 highest scoring* players (in a TBD scoring system, with game 1 counting toward 30% of a players score, game 2 as 30%, and game 3 contributing 40% to player scores) advance to
Final/Phase 3:
(1 game times 5 players each) Regular, Classic, probably 48/24/24 (TBD)

In summary, this would make a total of 2 Regular games, 1 PPO game, and 1 Gunboat game for each player
OR 3 Regular games and 1 Gunboat game for each player.
It would make a total of 2 Classic games, 1 Winter 1900 or Build Anywhere (TBD) game, and 1 Age of Empires game for each player.
Finally, one and only one game would be Fog of War and/or Stuff Happens.

If the final game ends in a solo victory, that solo victor wins the tournament. If the final game ends in a draw and the drawing player (1) with the most supply centers has at least 4 more supply centers than the drawing player (2) with the second most supply centers, then player (1) wins the tournament. If player (1) does not have at least 4 more supply centers than player (2), then the winner of the tournament will be the player with the highest score*--a (TBD) score that takes into account all 4 games played by each player.

* In the event of a tie, whoever has had less tournament NMRs (all holds WILL count as a NMR for this purpose, because it will be too hard to tell one way or the other) will advance / has the rank benefit.
If there's still a tie, whoever has played Greece (more) will advance / has the rank benefit.
If there's still a tie, whoever did better on their most recently finished AM Tournament game will advance / has the rank benefit.

I'm not a fan of DIAS and never have been (it's not the default :)), however I'll listen to anyone who wants to fight for its consideration.

All games will have the finalize option.

This tournament will have 1st turn NMR protection for all Phase 1 games. Anyone who NMRs on the first turn of either of their first two games will be immediately kicked from the tournament and replaced by a reserve player unless they have a really good excuse. If the NMRing player wants to remain in the tournament and thinks that they have a "really good excuse", they will have to send me a private message informing me of such. If I believe that their excuse is valid, then the game will restart with the same five players, though players will be allowed to enter in new preferences if that is the country selection method. Whether the assigned countries are the same or not, this will unfortunately restart the initial negotiations and diplomacy phase; please avoid NMRs.

To be determined:
Country Selection: Preferences or Bidding.
Right now I'm leaning Preferences; it will be easier to run than Bidding. I don't think country selection is very crucial, as I don't plan on allowing any player to play the same country more than once if at all possible.
If it's bidding, it will be my slight variation of the rules: In the event of a tie for a bid, there will not be a coin toss / random assignment, but instead the point value and rank of other bids will continue to be considered until one of the two players has been assigned another country, at which point the other player will immediately be assigned the country that there had been the tie in. I will give an example / explain this in more detail later (unless the tourney will go preferences).
If it's preferences, each player is not allowed to enter in a country that they have already played or are already playing in the tournament for any of their 3 preference choices. For example, if a player who's made it to the final round game played Carthage in game 1, Rome in game 2, and Greece in game 3, they will need to only pick Persia and Egypt for their final game preference slots, meaning that all 3 preferences won't be unique, say with Egypt entered in a both preference 1 and 2, with Persia as preference 3.

To be determined, but not until the late stages up sign-ups:
Rank or Norank?
If the vote is a close one, I'll strongly consider having some games of each.

Please post if you're interested or possibly interested in playing.
I do reserve myself the right to let into the tournament whomever I will.
For example, if there are 22 people who would rather play in the tournament than be a reserve, and 2 that only want to reserve, then the 20 who are let in do not have to be the first 20 of the 22 who signed up, but likely the 20 who I think would be most reliable (lack of NMRs and such) or whatever other reasons I may choose to use. The 2 of the 22 who do not make it in would join the reserve list for a total of 4 reserves.
Last edited by sinnybee on 24 Oct 2012, 07:27, edited 2 times in total.
Gold Classicist since 1-11-11
FT Asst GM of 35 player WWIV Aug 2011-Feb 2012
#1 ranked player of playdip early 2013
4th highest forum karma count at Apr 2013 ending (behind Craw, Dipsy, and Rick)
Tournament Director of the 31 game PDVT Feb-Dec 2014, the first playdip tourney with over 100 sign-ups
sinnybee

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1332)
All-game rating: (1467)
Timezone: GMT-7

Re: The Ancient Mediterranean Tournament! (TD: sinnybee)

Postby UpQuark » 05 Aug 2012, 14:35

*cheers and thunderous applause*

My interest is expressed - to play in this tournament of course.

UpQuark
practically massless elementary particle
UpQuark

Standard rating: (986)
All-game rating: (898)

Postby paulus » 05 Aug 2012, 15:16

Yes, please sign me up (if you're taking applicants). Otherwise, i'll keep watching for this. Many thanks.
paulus

All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Willie900 » 05 Aug 2012, 15:36

Interested to play!
Wow my signature used to be awful
Willie900

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (946)
All-game rating: (946)

Postby cs » 05 Aug 2012, 17:26

I'll play, subject to a couple of rules being in place.

1) I've learned the hard way I can't manage any deadlines under 48 hours. There are unfortunately periods of work where I simply can't check the site every day, which means there's a risk I could NMR during a build/retreat phase if they are 24 hours.

2) The games would have to be no-rank. I've never played Ancient Med, and I don't know the variant that well, so I don't want to put my ranking on the line under those conditions.

I hope I'm not sounding like a jerk by trying to impose conditions--if you decide it makes sense to set the game up another way, I completely respect that decision and won't have any hard feelings about being unable to play. I just rather let you know my parameters at the outset so you'll know whether you can count on me to be in or not.

Thanks for organizing this!
cs

All-game rating: (1000)

Postby zefrog » 05 Aug 2012, 17:43

I would be happy to be in. I like the idea of mixing classic and variant plays.

I note there is plenty of time to become familiar with the ancient Med variant, so there is no reason to make the tournament as unranked games, in which players are less likely to give up for poor reasons.
Last edited by zefrog on 06 Sep 2012, 22:58, edited 1 time in total.
zefrog

Standard rating: (1181)
All-game rating: (1392)
Timezone: GMT

Postby sinnybee » 05 Aug 2012, 19:21

cs wrote:I'll play, subject to a couple of rules being in place.

1) I've learned the hard way I can't manage any deadlines under 48 hours. There are unfortunately periods of work where I simply can't check the site every day, which means there's a risk I could NMR during a build/retreat phase if they are 24 hours.

Probably no problem at all for Phase 1 games as I was already strongly leaning toward 3/2/2 deadlines, since all players would be playing 2 simultaneous games.
However, for the 2 semifinal games, I imagine that there will not be a significant minority who will want deadlines longer than 24/24/24 or 48/24/24, since they will be gunboat games. I was hoping that Phase 2 could be completed relatively quickly by not having 2/2/2 or 3/2/2 deadlines, which I do not believe could be counted upon to move much faster with finalizing, at least not after the first 2 or 3 years of play.
This matter will obviously be settled before the tournament starts.
I certainly would like to allow as many interested players as possible the participate in this tournament, but if there are only say 2 of 23 who want 48 hour deadlines as the minimum for all phases of the tournament, I will go along with the opinion of the vast majority and get this tournament completed in a fairly reasonable length of time, even at an unfortunate result of dropping players.

cs wrote:2) The games would have to be no-rank. I've never played Ancient Med, and I don't know the variant that well, so I don't want to put my ranking on the line under those conditions.

I currently am playing a Norank AM game and I'm certainly sympathetic to the Norank vote (though zefrog has a valid argument for the Rank vote).
I anticipate that we will get a significant amount of votes for Rank and for Norank. If that is the case, I'd like to accomadate both preferences by having some games of each, even though this risks having one or more games that may consist of players who are potentially stronger or weaker than those in other games. I plan to seed the games to avoid this, mostly or solely on playdiplomacy rank/fading echoes score for Phase 1 games, while also avoiding having players playing the same opponents. Players will vote Rank or Norank and if they mind not getting their preference. If the vote is close or even slightly favors the Rank side, we will likely have 2 games Rank and 2 games Norank for each of the Phase 1 games. Ties (as in 2 votes Ranks, 1 vote no preference, and 2 votes Norank) will be Norank games (which I already decided, not because of cs) and possibly even a 3-Rank 2-Norank vote might go Norank. A 4 vote Rank / 1 vote Norank and a 3 vote Rank / 1 vote no preference / 1 vote Norank will result in a Ranked game, but again the Rank preference and Norank preference players will be playing against each other when possible in Phase 1 games. Unless the vote is close or slightly favors the Rank side, it would be nice to have both Phase 2/semifinal games either Rank or Norank so as to allow players to play against less players that they have already been set against in Phase 1.
I'll probably get some (preliminary) voting started in the next week or two so that we can get a feel for how this will be going.

cs wrote:I hope I'm not sounding like a jerk by trying to impose conditions--if you decide it makes sense to set the game up another way, I completely respect that decision and won't have any hard feelings about being unable to play. I just rather let you know my parameters at the outset so you'll know whether you can count on me to be in or not.

Thanks for organizing this!

Not at all; thank you for voicing your opinion on these matters.
Gold Classicist since 1-11-11
FT Asst GM of 35 player WWIV Aug 2011-Feb 2012
#1 ranked player of playdip early 2013
4th highest forum karma count at Apr 2013 ending (behind Craw, Dipsy, and Rick)
Tournament Director of the 31 game PDVT Feb-Dec 2014, the first playdip tourney with over 100 sign-ups
sinnybee

Standard rating: (1332)
All-game rating: (1467)

Postby Maucat » 06 Aug 2012, 15:16

I would be happy to play in this new Tournament. :D
"Governare è far credere" - "To govern is to make to believe"
N. Machiavelli
Maucat

Standard rating: (1039)
All-game rating: (1386)
Timezone: GMT+1

Postby Hollabackatcha » 12 Aug 2012, 22:35

I would like to join!
Hollabackatcha

Standard rating: (1417)
All-game rating: (1417)
Timezone: GMT

Postby artcorpse » 13 Aug 2012, 15:05

I would also be interested in joining such an event
artcorpse

Standard rating: (999)
All-game rating: (1440)
Timezone: GMT+2

Next

Return to PlayDip Tournaments