Meta-Gaming Tournament

Compete in a Tournament game hosted on PlayDiplomacy.

Meta-Gaming Tournament

Postby cs » 23 Jun 2012, 17:50

This idea was raised a while back and never quite came to fruition. The concept is that each player (or team) will play seven games simultaneously. Each team will have a different power in each of the seven games so that each team has all seven powers across the seven games. The teams must consist of at least three players, but can have up to seven (this will allow for inevitable drop-outs and replacements).

Here's the twist, however. Meta-gaming is not only allowed, but encouraged. Teams are free to negotiate support in one game in exchange for support elsewhere. Practically speaking, this means every team member will have an interest in what is transpiring elsewhere.

Format will be 4/2/2 (no holidays), Classic, Unranked (given the meta-gaming, this is a given), Anonymous, no finalization (the goal being to keep the games as much in parallel as possible).

Moreover, the composition of the team, outside of captains, will also be anonymous.

Players are 100% free to disclose their identity to other players in the game or via PM, and captains are free to disclose the composition of their teams to other captains.

Scoring will be as follows:

35 Victory Points, distributed equally among the participants (note that 5-, 6-, or 7-way draws are acceptable).
17.5 SC Points, distributed based the number of SCs held by each power at the end of the game.
Reallocation of points as part of a draw is acceptable (e.g., four players agree to a draw but agree to allocate the Victory points unequally).

Draws accepted via the in-game draw mechanism will have points allocated based on the results posted in the statistics tab. Non-traditional draws may also be accepted via public press: one player posts a draw proposal that includes specific terms and an expiration deadline, and the draw will remain open until it the expiration period passes, it is approved unanimously by surviving players, or one surviving player rejects it. Acceptance must take the form of complete acceptance: "I accept" and cannot have any conditions attached. (Anything with conditions attached "I accept, as long as ..." "I decline, unless ..." will not count as an answer.

If you are interested in serving as a captain, please PM me or post below. If accepted, you will then have one week to recruit a team and confirm you have done so. I will exercise my own judgment in deciding who is accepted as a captain based on history, experience, reliability, how much I like you, etc. If you want to participate, but not as a captain, post in this thread. Please DO NOT post the players on your team (or, if you are on a team, which team you are on).

In the event of a dispute, a vote of the captains will be final.

ADDENDUM: Based on feedback, I have decided to disclose the full team rosters, as there is no real advantage or disadvantage to having this information public.

1. sjg11 (unconfirmed)
2. Team TBD (confirmed--captain's name temporarily withheld)
Last edited by cs on 24 Jun 2012, 02:45, edited 3 times in total.
cs

Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: Meta-Gaming Tournament

Postby asudevil » 23 Jun 2012, 18:11

Keeping an eye on this...not sure if I want to participate.
Captain FANG, forum team championships WINNER
Part of the surviving nations of WW4/Haven

Unless I am in the cheater's subforum. 99% of what I say is NOT as a mod.

Want to play fantasy football this season here...Reigning Champion
asudevil

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1351)
All-game rating: (1497)
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby TheCraw » 23 Jun 2012, 18:49

Keeping an eye on this... You know to play "Friends" category during this, right?
Very clever, Mr. Smart...
TheCraw

Class: Lord/God of Dune
All-game rating: (935)

Postby sinnybee » 23 Jun 2012, 18:49

Great idea!
If there was going to be something to get me seriously considering playing game-side diplomacy again, this might be it...
Again, I love the idea; I'll think about it.

So, based on what was agreed upon between a captain and the other player(s) on their team, someone could play as few as 1 or as many as 7 games, right?
Gold Classicist since 1-11-11
FT Asst GM of 35 player WWIV Aug 2011-Feb 2012
#1 ranked player of playdip early 2013
4th highest forum karma count at Apr 2013 ending (behind Craw, Dipsy, and Rick)
Tournament Director of the 31 game PDVT Feb-Dec 2014, the first playdip tourney with over 100 sign-ups
sinnybee

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1332)
All-game rating: (1467)

Postby presser84 » 23 Jun 2012, 19:58

hmmmm the one thing I don't get is the team captains. What exactly is their role in the tournament?
Westeros Diplomacy - GM/creator
Diplomacy of Ice and Fire 2 - GM
Keirador wrote:Stop being a dickasaurus rex.
presser84

Standard rating: (1460)
All-game rating: (1678)

Postby asudevil » 23 Jun 2012, 20:31

presser84 wrote:hmmmm the one thing I don't get is the team captains. What exactly is their role in the tournament?

I think its just to help organize the team.

Help twist arms.

Make sure people dont NMR.

Keep the team on a unified path...etc.
Captain FANG, forum team championships WINNER
Part of the surviving nations of WW4/Haven

Unless I am in the cheater's subforum. 99% of what I say is NOT as a mod.

Want to play fantasy football this season here...Reigning Champion
asudevil

Standard rating: (1351)
All-game rating: (1497)

Postby sjg11 » 23 Jun 2012, 23:21

IN!

Captain please.
One of the people in charge of the Mafia forum.
Telleo wrote:The mafia forum, to them,
Sir SJG's known as a gem,
He writes a good game,
and runs it the same,
Oh what a perfect GM!

Come on Arsenal!
sjg11

Standard rating: (908)
All-game rating: (899)
Timezone: GMT

Postby 22.rhathaway » 24 Jun 2012, 00:28

Depending on when this starts, I would be part of one of the teams. When it gets closer to starting (within a week) one of the captains can PM me to find out if I am availble.
“A real diplomat is one who can cut his neighbor's throat without having his neighbor notice it.”
--Trygve Lie
22.rhathaway

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (962)
All-game rating: (973)

Postby presser84 » 24 Jun 2012, 00:33

this is what confuses me about the team captains. You only have 7 players... how can you have captains? If you have 2 captains then what? It's 3 v4? 3 captains 3 v 2 v2? Shouldn't the "teams" come naturally as a result of the game dynamics in the 7 games? Maybe I'm missing the whole point..
Westeros Diplomacy - GM/creator
Diplomacy of Ice and Fire 2 - GM
Keirador wrote:Stop being a dickasaurus rex.
presser84

Standard rating: (1460)
All-game rating: (1678)

Postby sjg11 » 24 Jun 2012, 01:17

presser84 wrote:this is what confuses me about the team captains. You only have 7 players... how can you have captains? If you have 2 captains then what? It's 3 v4? 3 captains 3 v 2 v2? Shouldn't the "teams" come naturally as a result of the game dynamics in the 7 games? Maybe I'm missing the whole point..

I think the numbers one to seven represent the teams and not the individual players.
One of the people in charge of the Mafia forum.
Telleo wrote:The mafia forum, to them,
Sir SJG's known as a gem,
He writes a good game,
and runs it the same,
Oh what a perfect GM!

Come on Arsenal!
sjg11

Standard rating: (908)
All-game rating: (899)
Timezone: GMT

Next