PlayDip Classic Championship Relaunch [ON HOLD]

A perpetual tournament for Classic Dip.

PlayDip Classic Championship Relaunch [ON HOLD]

Postby rick.leeds » 03 Jun 2013, 15:22

Now that I am about ready to launch the PDGC Season 2, I am also ready to re-launch the Classic Championship.

The rules and the sign-ups will be posted below.

I will PM everyone who was on my entry list for the original tournament, which was blighted by a failure on my side to make the rules specific.

In this version of the tournament, however, there will be some changes: to the scoring system and to the way the tournament is organised.
World Diplomacy Forum.
Online Resources editor at the Diplomatic Pouch.
Don't let the stepladder get you. Watch where you're stepping. ANY step could be a doozy.
rick.leeds
Site Admin
Site Admin

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1158)
All-game rating: (1070)
Timezone: GMT

Re: PlayDip Classic Championship RULES

Postby rick.leeds » 03 Jun 2013, 16:08

TOURNAMENT RULES

A. TERMS DEFINED
1. CHAMPIONSHIP: The whole structure; here specifically the PlayDip Classic Championship.
2. DIVISION: A pool within the Championship.
3. SEASON: The length of time it takes for the completion of all games within the Championship.
4. STAGE: The Championship will be broken into a number of stages: a Divisional Stage, which will sort out qualification for the latter stage(s).
5. PLAYER: A member of the site who signs-up to the Championship for the season.
6. TD: Tournament Director, the member of site who organises and runs the Championship.
7. GAME START PERIOD: The length of time between the setting-up of one game and the setting-up of the next within a season.
8. GAME START: The details sent out by the TD to players for each game. Includes: name, password, assignment.

B. STRUCTURE
There will be three stages: a Divisional Stage, a Play-Off Stage and the Final.
DIVISIONAL STAGE
1. Players will be split into 2 Divisions.

2. Players will play 4 games, playing a different power in each game.
3. Players will not play against any other player more than twice. [MORE DETAILS TO FOLLOW BASED ON THE NUMBER OF ENTRANTS.]
4. The winners and runners-up of each Division will qualify for the Final automatically.
5. Qualification for the
Play-Off stage will be:
- 3rd and 4th place in each Division;
- the next three highest scorers across the Divisional stage who have NOT otherwise qualified for the Final or Play-Offs.

PLAY-OFF STAGE
1. Qualifiers for this stage will play a single game.

2. Players will be seeded based on:
(a) Position in the Division, then
(b) Points scored in the Divisional stage.
3. Players will be asked to provide Preference lists for the power they want to play, with highest seeded players given earliest choices.
4. Qualification for the
Final will be:
(a) The winner of the Play-Off game if the game ends in a solo, along with the next two best placed players based on SC count. If more than two players would qualify using this method, then those tied on the lowest qualifying number of SCs will have the tie broken by:
- the player placed highest in the Division, if all tied players came from the same Division, or
- the player placed highest in the combined Divisional rankings if tied players came from both Divisions.
(b) If the game ends in a 2-way draw, then both players will progress to the final, along with the next best player based on SC count. If two or more players would qualify using this method, then the tie will be broken by:
- the player placed highest in the Division, if all tied players came from the same Division, or
- the player placed highest in the combined Divisional rankings if tied players came from both Divisions.
(c) If the game ends in a 3-way draw, all three players will progress to the Final.
(d) If the game ends in a draw which includes more than three players, then the top three players based on SC count will progress to the Final. If more than three players would qualify using this method, then those tied on the lowest qualifying number of SCs will have the tie broken by:

THE FINAL
1. This will be a one-off game with no end date.
2. 2. Players will be seeded based on:
(a) Being the champion of their division, then
(b) Position in their division if qualifying directly to the Final, then
(c) Position in the Play-Off stage.
3. Players will be asked to provide Preference lists for the power they want to play, with highest seeded players given earliest choices.
4. Should the game end in a solo, that player will be the champion.
5. Should the game end in a draw, the champion will be ascertained as explained in SCORING below.

C. SCORING
DIVISIONAL STAGE
1. Players will be awarded points for the result of the game:
Solo = 304
2-way = 144
3-way = 68
4-way = 32
5-way = 15
6-way = 7 (only used if game end is achieved by reaching the GAME END DATE (see below).
2. These points will then be converted to a score, based upon comparative results for each power, using the following formula:

MTS Formula.jpg

where:
PS = Player's Score (the number of points the player scores in the tournament)
Pc1 = Player's score in points in game 1
Pc2 = Player's score in points in game 2
Pcn = Player's score in in points in the nth game
Σc1 = Total number of points scored in the whole tournament by the power the player controlled in game 1
Σc2 = Total number of points scored in the whole tournament by the power the player controlled in game 2
Σcn = Total number of points scored in the whole tournament by the power the player controlled in the nth game
n = number of games in the whole tournament
N = number of rounds in the whole tournament.
If a player achieves a SOLO victory, the number of SCs earned for that game will be 34 and every other player will score 0 for the powers in that game.
3. Should players be tied, ties will be broken by ranking players on comparative performances in a game they have played against each other, based upon the position in that game. If more than one game is involved, they will be ranked based on a total of raw points gained in all games, as calculated in C(1) above.
4. Should players still be tied, ties will be broken by ranking players on comparative scores for any powers they played in common.

PLAY-OFF STAGE
1. This is a one-off game and qualification for the Final is explained above.

THE FINAL
1. Should the Final NOT end in a solo, ties will be broken using a Shadow Scoring system which will be run alongside the tournament system as described above. The details of the Shadow System will only be made clear if a draw is declared in the Final. This means that no player in the Final will be sure of what the ultimate result will be.
2. Points earned in the Final game will be added to points earned (using the Shadow Scoring System) in the Divisional Stage. Only players who shared the draw in the Final will have their points calculated. The highest scoring player will be the Champion.
3. Should the Shadow Scoring System result in a tie, the tie will be broken by the player who scored highest in the Divisional stage.

D. GAMES
1. Games will be anonymous and use speed deadlines.
2. Once players receive their country assignments they will be expected to subscribe to the game and confirm participation as soon as possible. A delay that results in the game being cancelled or returned to an earlier stage will result in a penalty (see Section J below).
3. In the Divisional Stage, game starts will be every two weeks.
4. Games will use the Preferences system. Players will be expected to place the name of their assigned power in all three preference boxes.
5. Deadlines will be 2/1/1.
6. Games will be NO RANK.
7. Games will include the DIAS option.
8. Games will use Spring 1901 NMR protection.
9. Games will be played to the end of 1912, unless a power achieves a solo victory, or the surviving players agree to a draw.
10. Players may request one delay in game start periods per season by contacting the TD. The TD will assess each request and may not grant the delay. Each player in the game will be contacted by the TD to confirm the delay.
11. Players may request one delay in game deadlines per game by contacting the TD. Should the request cover more than one game, then that will count as the single request in each game affected. The TD will assess each request, and may not grant the delay. In this case players may find a substitute for any games they are in (see Section H below). The TD will contact each player in the game to confirm the delay.

E. ANONYMITY
1. Players must ensure that they remain anonymous whilst the game they are playing is underway. Players are also forbidden to explicitly claim a false identity in a game.
2. Should a bug or something similar cause players to seek technical support from Admin, they should PM the TD to report it.
3. Should anonymity rules be broken whilst a game is underway, players are expected to report this to the TD, who will investigate and assess the situation.
4. Deliberate revelation of a player's identity will result in a penalty (see Section J below).
5. Should a player reveal his identity accidentally (as deemed by the TD only) no penalty will be handed down. This includes another entrant being able to work out the player's identity and/or revealing that to others.
6. As there is no communication, players may not use the Forum to speculate about a players identity, as this breaks site rules.
NB: There will be games in the later stage(s) where total anonymity (ie, not knowing which players are in the game) is not possible. In these games anonymity will be taken to mean which player in controlling which country.

F. SURRENDERING FROM A GAME
1. A player who needs to surrender for a reason should notify the TD who will attempt to find a replacement.
2. Should the TD be unable to find a replacement, the power will continue in Civil Disorder. The game will still count towards the League.
3. Surrendering from a game whilst active will be viewed as resigning from the Championship. Resigning without contacting the TD may result in disbarment from future participation from the Championship (at the TD's discretion) and other tournaments within the PlayDip Championship structure.

G. RESIGNING FROM THE CHAMPIONSHIP MID-SEASON
1. Players should notify the TD of this necessity, allowing the TD to find a replacement.
2. If possible, players will be asked to continue to play, or to play-out, games in which they are active, until a replacement can be found.
3. If the TD cannot find a replacement, any games in which the player is active will still count towards the Championship and the power will be in maintained Civil Disorder.
4. If the TD cannot find a replacement for subsequent games, game starts may be delayed. If a replacement cannot be found, any subsequent games in that season will be SHORT-HANDED. Players will be told of this eventuality before each game.
5. If necessary the TD will attempt to find replacements who agree to cover each game individually, but who may not be part of the Championship structure.
6. Resigning from the Championship mid-season without notifying the TD may result in disbarment from future participation from the Championship (at the TD's discretion) and other tournaments within the PlayDip Championships structure.

H. SUBSTITUTES/RESERVES
1. Should a player require a substitute for a period in a game or games, s/he is responsible for finding the substitute.
2. A substitute may not be:
(a) playing in ANY other game ON SITE in which the player is involved (as per site rules);
(b) within the current season of the Championship;
(c) a player who has resigned from the Championship in that season WITHOUT THE PERMISSION OF THE TD;
(d) a player previously expelled from the Championship in any season WITHOUT THE PERMISSION OF THE TD (a list of members who have been expelled will be maintained by the TD).
3. A reserve may be asked to substitute.
4. If a player cannot find a temporary substitute, s/he may ask for a delay in deadlines (see E.9 above) but, failing this or, by preference, may request the TD to substitute for ONE TURN (movement/retreats/builds) only. Should the TD substitute, the player must provide details of alliances and include provisional orders for moves, retreats and builds/disbandments.
5. In this scenario, the TD will not amend any movement orders.
6. The TD would approach the game as if not knowing the player assignments in the game and not allow the inside knowledge of the game to affect orders.
7. Should a substitute be required for longer than one turn, the TD would issue HOLD orders for subsequent turns.
8. The TD will maintain a list of reserves to replace players who resign/are expelled from the Championship.
9. If a reserve agrees to substitute for a player, s/he may still subsequently replace a player in that season.

I. BUGS
1. Should a player/player(s) believe a bug or other site-related incident has affected the game, s/he should contact the TD about it NOT post in the Forum.
2. The TD may choose to "suspend" the game by extending deadlines until the bug can be investigated, and would notify players in the game of this.
3. Any errors which cannot be evidenced as the result of a bug, any actions occurring because of a bug and anything that cannot be corrected will NOT invalidate the game within the Championship.
4. A perceived inconsistency between orders and reported orders will not be considered a bug.

J. PENALTIES
(a) Delaying the game in subscription/confirmation and causing the game to therefore be re-set: first occurrence: final points scored in that game will be halved; second occurrence in the same game: expulsion from the Tournament; three occurrences in different games: expulsion from the Tournament. (This does not include delaying subscribing or confirming where the game is not affected, ie. where the game does not revert to an earlier phase.)
(b) If the TD believes that a player has deliberately broken anonymity rules, whether active or inactive in a game: final points scored in that game will be halved; subsequent occurrences: removal from the Tournament.
(c) Surrendering from a game whilst active: removal from the Tournament.
(d) Breaking site rules on game play in non-tournament games: penalty dependent on cheating resolution.
NB: The TD will enforce site rules irrespective of a players standing in this tournament. The TD reserves the right to expel players from the Championship for extraordinary circumstances (eg lengthy or repeated Forum bans).
(e) Any player affected by a penalty may appeal the decision. Any actions that cannot be reversed (such as being removed from a game) will not be affected as a result of a successful appeal.
(f) Players may not appeal a reversal of a penalty.
(g) The TD's final decision is not open to appeal.
World Diplomacy Forum.
Don't let the stepladder get you. Watch where you're stepping. ANY step could be a doozy.
rick.leeds
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sign-ups

Postby rick.leeds » 03 Jun 2013, 16:09

Interested? Sign-up below.

I should point out that I will be screening entrants. If you have a poor surrender record (as defined by me), for example, I will not allow you into the tournament. We want consistent players.

Entrants (CONFIRMED in bold. Members who were in the previous incarnation, who sign-up through this thread or in answer to my PM will be automatically confirmed and given first refusal of a place. Others will be asked to confirm when I close sign-ups.) 15/9

Maucat
Parmesan
sjg11
timg
Yorkshireman
pelagius
rshivy
Dukevongoblin
Shadrak

stew0610
Rallidae
Klurg
franfloresjr
boghound
ZBurk9000
World Diplomacy Forum.
rick.leeds
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: PlayDip Classic Championship Relaunch

Postby stew0610 » 03 Jun 2013, 17:01

I am interested!

Thanks!
stew0610
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1341
All-game rating: 1342
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby Maucat » 03 Jun 2013, 17:02

I'm interested... ;)
"Governare è far credere" - "To govern is to make to believe"
N. Machiavelli
Maucat

Standard rating: (1039)
All-game rating: (1386)
Timezone: GMT+1

Postby Rallidae » 03 Jun 2013, 17:25

I'm in. Thank you for organizing this.
Bronze member of The Classicists.
Rallidae

Standard rating: (1232)
All-game rating: (1318)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Klurg » 03 Jun 2013, 17:32

Interested. Thanks!
Klurg

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1394)
All-game rating: (1420)

Postby Parmesan » 03 Jun 2013, 17:37

Sign me back up. Thanks Rick
Parmesan

Standard rating: (1063)
All-game rating: (1976)

Postby Piquinya » 03 Jun 2013, 18:30

Add me to the list, please. :)
Former Moderator of the Oldies Group.
Member of the Classicists, Platinum tier.

Quo usque tandem abutere, Catilina, patientia nostra?
Piquinya

Standard rating: (1429)
All-game rating: (1569)
Timezone: GMT-4

Postby boghound » 04 Jun 2013, 17:56

Count me in please!
boghound

Standard rating: (1581)
All-game rating: (1607)