PlayDip Classic Championship - RULES and SIGN-UPs

A perpetual tournament for Classic Dip.

Re: PlayDip Classic Championship - RULES and SIGN-UPs

Postby rick.leeds » 17 Oct 2011, 13:08

Added.
World Diplomacy Forum.
Online Resources editor at the Diplomatic Pouch.
Don't let the stepladder get you. Watch where you're stepping. ANY step could be a doozy.
rick.leeds
Site Admin
Site Admin

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1158)
All-game rating: (1070)
Timezone: GMT

Postby Yorkshireman » 18 Oct 2011, 21:17

Count me in please.

T/Y
Yorkshireman

Standard rating: (1067)
All-game rating: (1010)

Postby rick.leeds » 18 Oct 2011, 21:35

Added.

I think, rather than telling everyone they're added if you put your name down here before I close sign-ups, then assume you're added. I'm checking the thread every day.
World Diplomacy Forum.
Don't let the stepladder get you. Watch where you're stepping. ANY step could be a doozy.
rick.leeds
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby gordoncomstock » 20 Oct 2011, 16:37

I would like to enter please.
Last edited by gordoncomstock on 21 Dec 2011, 17:25, edited 1 time in total.
"Be polite; write diplomatically; even in a declaration of war one observes the rules of politeness."
gordoncomstock

Standard rating: (980)
All-game rating: (980)

Postby MasterGR » 21 Oct 2011, 17:08

Thanks for organizing yet another tournament Rick! I have a few questions.

rick.leeds wrote:TOURNAMENT RULES - SEASON ONE

4. STAGE: The Championship will be broken into a number of stages: a Divisional Stage, which will sort out qualification for the latter stage(s).

What is the plan for the latter stages?

rick.leeds wrote:B. STRUCTURE

3. Players will be sorted by ranking into groups[/color] [number in each group to be confirmed]. These players in each group will then be randomly allocated a Division until all players from that group have been placed in a Division. Allocation of places in the groups for Season One will be based upon site rankings on [date to be confirmed].

What is the purpose of sorting players into groups, if they are going to be randomly allocated into divisions? I mean, why not just randomly allocate players into divisions in the first place? I am thinking it would make sense to allocate players into divisions in a non-random way if you already have players into groups sorted by ranking. Something like the European champions league first round, where each division has teams from different ranking pools (e.g. division 1 has one player from the highest rank, one player from the second highest etc).

rick.leeds wrote:8. The winners of each Division will progress to the latter stages of the Championship. Other best-placed players in each Division will also have the chance to progress as described below.

Again, I think the latter stages of the championship are not specified somewhere?

Oh, and please add me :)

Thanks!
Last edited by MasterGR on 21 Oct 2011, 17:10, edited 1 time in total.
Gold Classicists member
MasterGR

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1303
All-game rating: 1310
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby reubenc » 21 Oct 2011, 17:10

I'd like to join please.
reubenc

All-game rating: (1000)

Postby slippydippy » 21 Oct 2011, 17:34

Don't see my name here yet.
A'min.
SilverwareSally.
SympatheticSally.
If you spot a perfect pink pixie keeping to herself in the corner of the map, you're in luck: at last you have found someone you can trust.
slippydippy

All-game rating: 39
Timezone: GMT+1

Postby rick.leeds » 21 Oct 2011, 18:12

MasterGR wrote:
rick.leeds wrote:TOURNAMENT RULES - SEASON ONE
4. STAGE: The Championship will be broken into a number of stages: a Divisional Stage, which will sort out qualification for the latter stage(s).

What is the plan for the latter stages?

Can't say what the plan will be for the latter stages, as that all depends upon how many entrants we have. However, for what is happening in the Gunboat Championship, see here. It will likely be something similar.

MasterGR wrote:
rick.leeds wrote:B. STRUCTURE
3. Players will be sorted by ranking into groups[/color] [number in each group to be confirmed]. These players in each group will then be randomly allocated a Division until all players from that group have been placed in a Division. Allocation of places in the groups for Season One will be based upon site rankings on [date to be confirmed].

What is the purpose of sorting players into groups, if they are going to be randomly allocated into divisions? I mean, why not just randomly allocate players into divisions in the first place? I am thinking it would make sense to allocate players into divisions in a non-random way if you already have players into groups sorted by ranking. Something like the European champions league first round, where each division has teams from different ranking pools (e.g. division 1 has one player from the highest rank, one player from the second highest etc).

Pretty much got it. The draw for Divisions works in two ways:
1. Entrants will be split into groups, which will be based on rankings. For the Gunboat Championship, because I had five Divisions, I split the 35 entrants into seven groups of five by ordering the players in rank order and then splitting them off: top five into group one, second five into group two, etc.
2. One player from each group was randomly then placed in a division. This spreads out the players by ranking, so in the PDGC the top five ranked entrants were in a separate Divisions.

MasterGR wrote:
rick.leeds wrote:8. The winners of each Division will progress to the latter stages of the Championship. Other best-placed players in each Division will also have the chance to progress as described below.

Again, I think the latter stages of the championship are not specified somewhere?

Nope, not yet. As I say, once I've closed the sign-ups and I know how many entrants there are, they latter stage structure will be published.
World Diplomacy Forum.
rick.leeds
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby rick.leeds » 21 Oct 2011, 18:15

slippydippy wrote:Don't see my name here yet.
A'min.
SilverwareSally.

You're about half-way down the list Sally, sandwiched between BigBeuty and armistel (ooh, Matron!) ;)
World Diplomacy Forum.
rick.leeds
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MasterGR » 21 Oct 2011, 20:30

Thanks for the detailed response Rick! Are we going to begin when we hit 28? There may be a chance that till we reach 35 some of the players now signed up may not be available anymore, given that the rate of subscriptions is decreasing?
Gold Classicists member
MasterGR

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1303
All-game rating: 1310
Timezone: GMT-8

PreviousNext

Return to PlayDip Classic Championships