Valhalla 2016 Award Nominations

Play a Diplomacy variant with a human GM using either forum PMs or Discord for communication. PbF games include a wider variety of maps and rules than what our site (or any site) can support!

Moderator: Morg

Forum rules
Questions about variants being run on the main site go here.

Valhalla 2016 Award Nominations

Postby Alman » 13 Dec 2016, 23:58

Well look at that. You've squandered another year of perfectly fine time ordering virtual armies and fleets around a pretend map! But don't feel bad, we all do it and IT IS WORTH IT! :D :D :D
Especially if you can win the love .... respect .... grudging acknowledgement of your peers. So it is time for to accept nominations for the 2016 PbF Awards. Here are the guidelines for nominations.

Last years awards can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=51667

Remember, anyone can play a game on the main site, but only the truly lonely desperate gifted and excellent play PbF!!

Possible Awards you can nominate for include;
"Best Communicator"
"Best Tactician"
"Most Fun Ally/Opponent"
"Great Sport Award"

If you have a different award that you would like to nominate someone for, you can suggest one too.

The rules for nominations are as follows:
1) You must have played in at least one (1) PbF game this year (to its conclusion) to be eligible to nominate or be nominated.
2) All Awards are positive. No negative awards will be given. This is to recognize positive achievement.
3) All nominations are to be submitted to Alman via PM. DO NOT make them here in the Forum.
4) No, you can't nominate yourself. (Have some humility!) :lol: :lol:
5) Final Awards will be determined by the secret panel of judges (aka GM's). ;) [in other words, not all nominations will result in awards]
Bronze Member: The Classicists & Oldies
War in the Americas 7 PbF

"The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote" -Kosh
"Nothing has to be true, but everything has to sound like it was." -Salvor Hardin
Alman

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1466)
All-game rating: (1586)
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: Valhalla 2016 Award Nominations

Postby Alman » 14 Dec 2016, 19:15

Bumping this thread. Very encouraged by some great nominations so far. Keep'em coming. I'll give it a week before I put together the slate for the highly secret panel of judges (GM's) to weigh in on. Let's celebrate a great gaming community here on the Forum!!!

"The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote" -Kosh
"Nothing has to be true, but everything has to sound like it was." -Salvor Hardin
Alman

Postby NoPunIn10Did » 20 Dec 2016, 18:50

Alman wrote:1) You must have played in at least one (1) PbF game this year (to its conclusion) to be eligible to nominate or be nominated.

Can we nominate players for which we were GM's?
Can GM's nominate if they didn't play any game* in the given award year?
Can games that are still in-progress, but started in 2016, be used to inform the award process?

*not applicable to me right now, since I did play two games in 2016, but I'm curious

Alman wrote:2) All Awards are positive. No negative awards will be given. This is to recognize positive achievement.

What about tongue-in-cheek awards that could be interpreted as positive or negative? I noticed you had a Most Devious Player award for last year, for instance.
Lead Volunteer Developer & Forum Admin

Variant GM & Designer
NoPunIn10Did
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1000
All-game rating: 1471

Postby Alman » 20 Dec 2016, 20:34

GM's can make nominations, whether they themselves have played or not.

Since the awards are connected to the player, not the game, any player playing in 2016 is eligible whether the game has concluded or not.

Fun, tongue-in-cheek awards can be considered as long as they are not mean-spirited or meant to disparage. Most devious, in Diplomacy, is not a negative in my mind. :D

Alman

Return to Play-by-Forum Dip