34 Player Chaos

Play a Diplomacy variant with a human GM using either forum PMs or Discord for communication. PbF games include a wider variety of maps and rules than what our site (or any site) can support!

Moderator: Morg

Forum rules
Questions about variants being run on the main site go here.

Re: 34 Player Chaos

Postby EnlightenedMonarch » 03 May 2016, 02:41

condude1 wrote:
I Love Italy wrote:Yeah, I think 17 players would be more doable, with two centers randomly allotted to each player.

I wouldn't recommend randomly. It's too swingy that way. For example, if I get Ankara and Smyrna, I'm guaranteed a very good start, whereas St. Petersburg and Naples... Not so much.

Well, if you wanted to pair up centers close to each other, England would be your first problem. It would probably have to be Edinburgh and Norway or London and Brest/Belgium, though I feel like both of those would be fairly easy to knock out early. You'd have to make sure that that country's other neighbors had bigger problems or diplomatically needed an ally. Alternatively you could go for a three way split with Brest/Liverpool, London/Belgium, and Edinburgh/Norway, which would open up some interesting options.
"Nothing reduces unemployment like a good war."
Gold Classicist
Imperial Leader of Japan in Colonial 7
Past Campaigns: Norway (CDRBH), Ranier (Emerald City 3), Italy (ModEx 1), Ethiopia (Africa 4)
EnlightenedMonarch

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1393)
All-game rating: (1419)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby EpicDim » 03 May 2016, 03:08

You could simply do a blind auction with 2 wins from each player.
Gauls (Ad Arma) 3-way, Russia (Othello) 4-way, Austria (Crowded Othello) Solo, England (Devious GM 2) Solo, Egypt (Time Travel) 3-way, (Exploration: Great Expeditions) Solo
EpicDim

Standard rating: (1000)
All-game rating: (1169)
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby I Love Italy » 03 May 2016, 04:22

EpicDim wrote:You could simply do a blind auction with 2 wins from each player.

True. Might be the smartest way to go.

I still think random, though, would be very interesting. Fits in with the chaos theme, for one thing. For another, it'll create interesting diplomatic situations. For example, if one player does get Ankara and Smyrna, their neighbors are going to have to work together pretty closely to avoid being steamrolled, which I would argue would even out the luck of getting two close centers, as it'll make it harder to ally in the early game.
I have special eyes.
I Love Italy

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1041)
All-game rating: (1059)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby condude1 » 03 May 2016, 06:43

EnlightenedMonarch wrote:
condude1 wrote:
I Love Italy wrote:Yeah, I think 17 players would be more doable, with two centers randomly allotted to each player.

I wouldn't recommend randomly. It's too swingy that way. For example, if I get Ankara and Smyrna, I'm guaranteed a very good start, whereas St. Petersburg and Naples... Not so much.

Well, if you wanted to pair up centers close to each other, England would be your first problem. It would probably have to be Edinburgh and Norway or London and Brest/Belgium, though I feel like both of those would be fairly easy to knock out early. You'd have to make sure that that country's other neighbors had bigger problems or diplomatically needed an ally. Alternatively you could go for a three way split with Brest/Liverpool, London/Belgium, and Edinburgh/Norway, which would open up some interesting options.

I was thinking the opposite: go with distant provinces.
Telleo wrote:I don't think I've ever met someone who more perfectly embodied Chaotic Neutral than Condude1.

Moderator of the Mafia Subforums!

Silver member of The Classicists!
condude1

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1368)
All-game rating: (1307)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby Elric Hazard » 03 May 2016, 09:01

I'm in. I looked at the forum here a long time ago, searching for this variant, iirc no game has ever completed. Perhaps someone knows if that is true or not?

I have played the 34 player version in the old AOLDipClub. (I did not win.) It's a fantastic game.

In the 17 player version proposed, I favor the wide open auction plan but with 2 separate rounds--now that will be interesting. If you get 25 players perhaps a 1 sc per player auction, the rest neutrals- either occupied by holding units or wide open, I also favor reducing the win condition to 13 SC regardless of number of players, in order to increase the likelihood of a finished game, and thereby encouraging more iterations. Whatever suits the GM; I will play.
Last edited by Elric Hazard on 03 May 2016, 22:07, edited 1 time in total.
The history of civilized man is but the history of his misery. All the pages of it are stained with blood. - Abbé Raynal 1781
Elric Hazard

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1179
All-game rating: 1184
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby Lane » 03 May 2016, 16:02

So three players end up with Italy instead of one ?!
"My enemies enemy is not necessarily my friend"
"Never stab a nation when they are down... they may get up again"
Lane

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (765)
All-game rating: (742)
Timezone: GMT

Postby EpicDim » 03 May 2016, 16:12

No matter how many people we get, we could play with the City-State rules similar to those listed here: viewtopic.php?f=761&t=50531&p=840260#p840260

1.1: Each SC on the map represents a city-state with an associated unit. During the spring and fall seasons, in addition to their regular orders, players may bid on the moves for independent minor powers. If a minor power receives more Diplomacy Points (DPs) for one move than for any other move it will execute that move. Only the move that the minor (attempts) to execute will be published - all DP allocations will be hidden. DPs are not conserved between turns.

2.1: The other change to the basic diplomacy rules arises when a major power has a unit in the home SC of a minor power at the end of the fall turn. If a major power has a unit in a minor power’s home SC at the end of the fall turn the minor power is immediately considered an “ALIGNED MINOR POWER” and ceases to be independent.

2.2: If the minor power still has a unit on the board during the winter phase following the SC’s capture, the Major Power may choose to destroy the Aligned Minor Power’s unit (and rebuild a normal unit in the Major Power’s home SC). If the Major Power does not choose to destroy the Aligned Minor Power’s unit, the Major Power may issue it an order in all subsequent phases as if it was owned entirely by the Major Power.

This would go well with Chaos since it would allow for faster growth than a standard game since the units would stay on the board if wanted and the neutrals can be moved aside in a friendly manner.
Gauls (Ad Arma) 3-way, Russia (Othello) 4-way, Austria (Crowded Othello) Solo, England (Devious GM 2) Solo, Egypt (Time Travel) 3-way, (Exploration: Great Expeditions) Solo
EpicDim

Postby EpicDim » 03 May 2016, 16:14

Lane wrote:So three players end up with Italy instead of one ?!

Yes, Chaos is a 34 player variant where everyone gets one of the 34 SCs on the board. The discussion here is what to do with fewer than 34 players.
EpicDim

Postby EpicDim » 03 May 2016, 16:50

Official sign-up thread: viewtopic.php?f=253&t=52703

Please answer the questions in your sign-up.
EpicDim

Postby RedSun » 16 Jun 2017, 23:23

Count me in!
Groups:
Asteria Republic in CYOC
Silver Classicist
RedSun