Variant maps on main site - Ancient Med gets the vote

Play a Diplomacy variant with a human GM using either forum PMs or Discord for communication. PbF games include a wider variety of maps and rules than what our site (or any site) can support!

Moderator: Morg

Forum rules
Questions about variants being run on the main site go here.

Variant maps on main site - Ancient Med gets the vote

Postby Pedros » 31 May 2012, 14:24

Milan is now on Beta site and will soon be available on main site. dipsy has offered to make more maps available in the future provided they follow standard rules and have a maximum of seven players. A two-stage poll to choose the first one is available in New Feature Voting (Premium members only folks.)
"Sooner or later, one of us will stab the other. But for now we're both better off as allies" (kininvie)
Pedros

Location: Somewhere full of gorse and brambles, West Cornwall
Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1085)
All-game rating: (1314)
Timezone: GMT

Re: Variant maps on main site

Postby bluestreaksoccer » 31 May 2012, 16:03

can we lesser folk at least watch the proceedings? I want to see the differences in this new map.
"LIVE. DIE. REPEAT" -how I play diplomacy
bluestreaksoccer

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (852)
All-game rating: (855)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby slippydippy » 31 May 2012, 17:34

bluestreaksoccer wrote:can we lesser folk at least watch the proceedings? I want to see the differences in this new map.

That would make for good advertising.
SallySponsorsHip.
SympatheticSally.
If you spot a perfect pink pixie keeping to herself in the corner of the map, you're in luck: at last you have found someone you can trust.
slippydippy

All-game rating: 39
Timezone: GMT+1

Postby bluestreaksoccer » 31 May 2012, 17:38

So, can I view the test game???
bluestreaksoccer

Postby Pedros » 01 Jun 2012, 10:44

'Fraid the Beta site is premium only bluestreaksoccer; but dipsy says Milan's likely to be available on main site fairly soon. So far as I known anybdy can WATCH a vsriant game!
"Sooner or later, one of us will stab the other. But for now we're both better off as allies" (kininvie)
Pedros

Postby bluestreaksoccer » 01 Jun 2012, 14:40

Pedros wrote:'Fraid the Beta site is premium only bluestreaksoccer; but dipsy says Milan's likely to be available on main site fairly soon. So far as I known anybdy can WATCH a vsriant game!

ok
bluestreaksoccer

Postby Pedros » 01 Jun 2012, 19:41

But I should have said as well that if you want to view a game in progress, then Diplomacy Stew in Active is being played on the Milan map. There are a couple of variant rules in the game, but none of them have been used yet. We've just finished 1904.
Pedros

Postby Pedros » 13 Jun 2012, 12:10

The final vote is on for the next new map. Still only for Premiums I'm afraid - it's one of the perks!

The vote ends on Wednesday 20 June and the shortlist is Zeus, Ancient Med, and Colonial (Colonial may not be possible this time due to rule differences - alternative votes are allowed) See viewtopic.php?f=77&t=29502 (Premiums only)
Pedros

Re: Variant maps on main site - Ancient Med gets the vote

Postby Pedros » 21 Jun 2012, 10:56

Ancient Med won the vote by 6 votes to 3 split between Zeus and Colonial. (It was helped because both Zeus and heptarchy are the subjects of current tests to improve balance.)

Please don't hassle dipsy and TheCraw to get this done quickly. Their life is hectic enough as it is!!
Pedros

Re: Variant maps on main site - Ancient Med gets the vote

Postby TheCraw » 24 Jun 2012, 18:53

Ok...

So, I've just started the map-making process. I have also looked (briefly) at what appears to be the "official" rules of said variant, located here: http://www.variantbank.org/results/rules/a/ancient_med.htm

Now I have a few questions (as I NEVER play or even look at Forum games).

1) What land-masses (besides the starting supply-centers) belong to each of the five countries at the start of the game? (you know, such as France starting out owning Pichardy/Gascony/Burgundy, or Germany owning Ruhr/Silesia/Prussia?)

2) I understand one can move an army from Corsica to Sardinia, from Neapolis to Silesia, and from Athins to Sparta? Do we want to keep the confusing arrows, or switch to some sort of double-dotted line representing a "bridge" or something?

3) The arrows disparaged above would be better suited in the "crossroads" of the Ausonian, Messenian, and Libyan Seas and the Gulf of Tacape. Y'know, sort of a compass arrow pointing in all four directions to indicate one can move diagonally. (or at least to Diagon Ally)

4) How in the heck am I gonna represent the Nile River Delta?!?!?!

And...
    5) would anyone mind if we changed the "traditional" colors to use the color-plate we have for regular Diplomacy? (as we already know those colors work nicely)?

My first suggestion is:
    Rome (Italian Green)
    Carthage (French Dark-Blue)
    Greece (Austrian Pink)
    Persia (German Yellow)
    Egypt (Turkish Light-Blue)
Very clever, Mr. Smart...
TheCraw
Premium Member

Class: Shropshire slasher
All-game rating: 1,000,000