GM q

Play a Diplomacy variant with a human GM using either forum PMs or Discord for communication. PbF games include a wider variety of maps and rules than what our site (or any site) can support!

Moderator: Morg

Forum rules
Questions about variants being run on the main site go here.

GM q

Postby diplomat42 » 21 Jun 2011, 14:26

The GM Malevolence has twice now offered to play in a game he is GM'ing, and has not given a chance for anyone to join to take his spot.

Is this allright? Does it ever happen? (Game is Civil War Diplomacy)
Glorious Nation of the Himalaya et.al in CYOC.
Classicist, Whippersnapper.

Generation 32 (The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.)

JOIN CITY-STATES AND ZOMBIES!
IT WILL BE OFF THE CHAIN
diplomat42

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1140)
All-game rating: (1289)
Timezone: GMT-6

Re: GM q

Postby AlphaActive » 21 Jun 2011, 15:22

I think only the players in that game together can judge whether it's alright. I don't think that happens much (if at all) though.

If you wish him to give the spot for someone else, find a willing player and then ask the GM to give up his spot as a player?
Beware: It's Nucciliar.

I can't host new games of Fable Diplomacy for a year or so but if someone else is willing to I can give advice and names (meaning a few interested player candidates).

If I do or say something stupid that's coz I'm Swedish.
AlphaActive

Location: Finland, we migth not have an SC but we have Father Christmas instead, suckers!
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT+2

Postby Pedros » 22 Jun 2011, 12:47

There is no rule about this, although I think it's highly undesirable - since the orders go to the GM by PM, it's going to be impossible for him to escape knowing other players' orders at least occasionally (I know - I make it a rule never knowingly to open orders before the deadline so that I'm not influenced if another player asks a question about the same area. But it isn't always easy to tell what's an order and what isn't, so occasionally it happens.)

Obviously, in that case the GM has an unfair advantage (however hard he might try to ignore it).

I will in fact (as Foruym Games Mod) raise this with rick.leeds when he's fit again and suggest it should be in the Cheaters code for Forum Games. In the meantime, see viewtopic.php?f=34&t=18495&p=284658#p284658
"Sooner or later, one of us will stab the other. But for now we're both better off as allies" (kininvie)
Pedros

Location: Somewhere full of gorse and brambles, West Cornwall
Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1085)
All-game rating: (1314)
Timezone: GMT

Postby Magmaniac » 23 Jun 2011, 12:02

I think it's an iffy situation, the best solution is to have an intermediary, though this could make adjudication of orders take longer. The intermediary would be someone not in the game at all, but the players (including the GM/player) would send this person their orders, then once the deadline happens the intermediary would send all the orders to the GM to make the map.
Magmaniac

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1000)

Postby AlphaActive » 23 Jun 2011, 14:32

Magmaniac wrote:I think it's an iffy situation, the best solution is to have an intermediary, though this could make adjudication of orders take longer. The intermediary would be someone not in the game at all, but the players (including the GM/player) would send this person their orders, then once the deadline happens the intermediary would send all the orders to the GM to make the map.

That sounds like it could work.
Beware: It's Nucciliar.

I can't host new games of Fable Diplomacy for a year or so but if someone else is willing to I can give advice and names (meaning a few interested player candidates).

If I do or say something stupid that's coz I'm Swedish.
AlphaActive

Location: Finland, we migth not have an SC but we have Father Christmas instead, suckers!
Timezone: GMT+2

Postby Pedros » 23 Jun 2011, 15:17

Yes, that would certtainly be OK. But then you have to find TWO players willing to take part of the GM role! (the intermediary would have to be responsible for sending reminders and admin messages as well - and who would make decisions about them?!
"Sooner or later, one of us will stab the other. But for now we're both better off as allies" (kininvie)
Pedros

Location: Somewhere full of gorse and brambles, West Cornwall
Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1085)
All-game rating: (1314)
Timezone: GMT

Postby Magmaniac » 23 Jun 2011, 19:50

Yes, it's a much better system if done live, like via IRC.
Magmaniac

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1000)

Return to Play-by-Forum Dip