7-game gunboat tournament: news and announcements

Each player plays seven games, each game with a different power. TD: cspieker. Winner: cspieker.

7-game gunboat tournament: news and announcements

Postby cspieker » 31 May 2011, 21:46

7-game gunboat tournament

There will be x players and x games. Each player will play in 7 games each, playing all 7 powers over their 7 games.

Start all games at roughly the same time.

All games no-rank , DIAS, 24/24/24, speed

I will make the matchups table, but have someone else send out the PM's so I don't know who is who in the games (as I will be playing too).

Scoring
Scoring will be detour98f, but then there will be a normalization at the end. We will normalize for country so that you will get more points if you do better at a certain country than everybody else.
So for example, say the detour98f scores for Italy for each player are I1, I2, I3, I4, I5, I6 and I7. Then player 1's "Italy score" will be I1/(I1+I2+I3+I4+I5+I6+I7) x 100.
We will add all the country scores up for each player and see who is the winner.

If you have expressed interest you will be receiving a message from me soon.
Last edited by cspieker on 18 Jun 2011, 18:05, edited 1 time in total.
cspieker

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1300)
All-game rating: (1381)
Timezone: GMT-8

Re: 7-game gunboat tournament: official stuff

Postby cspieker » 02 Jun 2011, 08:41

OK assignments have been sent out. If you are listed below and haven't received your country assignments, let me know.
Tournament contestants:
cspieker
Zebb
Palin
presser84
Mal
Posiduck
Maucat
Lucifers_Hammer
Seve
EasyRider
Peanut
HPWehmeier

There are twelve games (actually games 1, and 3-13, I messed up when creating #2, so we're not using that one). Each of you are assigned to 7 of them. Please join your listed games as the assigned countries. I have used preferences so please put your assigned country in all three spots. Join game and then confirm, and we will be off to the races!

Be very careful about entering the correct country assignment. I am not a mod, so I won't be able to fix any mistakes. We'd have to create a new game, and it might be a royal PITA.

Remember this is gunboat so we're not supposed to be discussing the games until they end. I might try to keep a running tally of the scores, but it might get difficult.

One thing I didn't set was cutoff date. Let's say 1920 for now. I seriously hope they don't go that long.

And finally, I am a big fan of finalizing. I hope all of you are too! :D
Last edited by cspieker on 04 Jun 2011, 01:56, edited 1 time in total.
cspieker

Postby cspieker » 03 Jun 2011, 17:59

At least one person made a mistake in joining game #13, so we need to restart game #13.

If you are slated to be in game #13 please check your PM's for instructions.

What we do with the old game 13 is up to us. It is no-rank, so losing will not be a problem. I am not sure if NMR's and Surrenders go on your stats though. If you do move, be thoughtful that someone else might see the moves in one game and use them to predict moves in the official tournament game (which is now going to be #29381 "7-game gunboat tourney game 13 2nd try").

Sorry for the inconvenience, but I figured this was bound to happen. So far it's only happened once, so that's good 8-) .

Chuck
cspieker

Postby cspieker » 04 Jun 2011, 02:04

The Detour98F scoring system will be applied as follows:
Initial Phase
•If you survive to THE END of 1905 then you get a point (whether you’re eliminated later or not).
•If you survive to the end of the game then you get a point.
•You get a point for every supply centre you own.
•If you are in the outright lead in supply centres at the end of the game then you get a bonus of the difference between you and the next best player (eg. if Russia has 12 SCs, France has 10 SCs, then Russia gets 2pts). If two or more powers tie for the lead, 0 pts are scored.
•If you are first on the board in supply centres at the end of the game you get 4 bonus points, if you are second you get 3 bonus points, if you are third you get 2 bonus points, if you’re fourth you get 1 bonus point. (If there’s a tie you get the points for the lower position—ie equal 2nd both get 2 bonus points.)
Final Phase
You add each person’s points to get a raw score. The next step is to standardize the game.
•Divide each person’s raw score with the sum of all the raw scores and then multiply by 100.
•This generates a percentage for everyone (so an entire game is worth 100 points).
If you solo you get 110 points and everyone else gets *nothing*.
Final percentage: Rounded to the second decimal place.
(See also here for more info, including what happens when a draw is accepted when in non-movement phases.)
cspieker

Postby Shadrak » 05 Jun 2011, 04:28

If this is still open or if you need a reserver please count me in.
Shadrak

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1102)
All-game rating: (1323)
Timezone: GMT+10

Postby cspieker » 14 Jun 2011, 19:48

Game 10 appears to be stuck :shock:

News on game 10 can be found here.
cspieker

Postby cspieker » 18 Jun 2011, 18:12

cspieker wrote:The Detour98F scoring system will be applied as follows:
[...]
If you solo you get 110 points and everyone else gets *nothing*.

Thinking about the scoring now I realize how amazingly good a solo will be in this tournament. Not only will you get full points for that country, but it will also kick all the other countries in that game to zero, which will likely increase your percentage scores for all your other countries (unless you got zeros). So BEWARE THE SOLO! :o

Maybe if I run this again, I'll try to use a system that doesn't kick everybody else's points to zero in the case of a solo, or maybe make it not DIAS so it's easier to band together against a soloist (and so Stander will grace us with his presence! ;) )
cspieker

Return to Tournament 5