FOC Semi-finals & Final Match Ups & Results

2-player tournament using a modified version of the published 2-player rules. TD: rick.leeds. WINNER: thewysecat

Re: FOC Semi-finals & Final Match Ups & Results

Postby Prufrock » 26 May 2012, 05:17

sinnybee wrote:Wow! They're still at it!
What about evening things up a bit?
I haven't looked at any of the FOC games in months, but how about a new rule that F/E/R has to hold all units in S 01? Or can order Russia but has to hold French and English units in 1901?
...and I've always thought that 17-17 should automatically go to G/A/T.

17-17 doesn't happen very often (it pretty much requires AGT to secure Berlin while EFR holds Munich, which is just hard to accomplish in this variant).
EFR holding in S01 skews it way too far to AGT, since it gives Germany up to 3 builds while E/F/R get zero.

I think other choices that could even things up are allowing AGT to attack Italy in 1901 (but not EFR), or requiring EFR to disclose his/her Spring 1901 orders before the start of the game.

Honestly, though, I think the best way would be to play it as a chaos variant, but with a seed available to be chosen at game set up that allows 2 games to be played simultaneously from both sides, as in the finals of this tournament.
Prufrock

Class: Ambassador
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby sinnybee » 28 May 2012, 07:46

Prufrock wrote:
sinnybee wrote:Wow! They're still at it!
What about evening things up a bit?
I haven't looked at any of the FOC games in months, but how about a new rule that F/E/R has to hold all units in S 01? Or can order Russia but has to hold French and English units in 1901?
...and I've always thought that 17-17 should automatically go to G/A/T.

17-17 doesn't happen very often (it pretty much requires AGT to secure Berlin while EFR holds Munich, which is just hard to accomplish in this variant).
EFR holding in S01 skews it way too far to AGT, since it gives Germany up to 3 builds while E/F/R get zero.

I think other choices that could even things up are allowing AGT to attack Italy in 1901 (but not EFR), or requiring EFR to disclose his/her Spring 1901 orders before the start of the game.

Honestly, though, I think the best way would be to play it as a chaos variant, but with a seed available to be chosen at game set up that allows 2 games to be played simultaneously from both sides, as in the finals of this tournament.

17-17 has happened several times in this tournament.
My ideas were rough, just off the top of my head; you're right, yours are much better.

Congratulations wyse!
Gold Classicist since 1-11-11
FT Asst GM of 35 player WWIV Aug 2011-Feb 2012
#1 ranked player of playdip early 2013
4th highest forum karma count at Apr 2013 ending (behind Craw, Dipsy, and Rick)
Tournament Director of the 31 game PDVT Feb-Dec 2014, the first playdip tourney with over 100 sign-ups
sinnybee

Standard rating: (1332)
All-game rating: (1467)
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby Morg » 28 May 2012, 09:30

Congrats Wysecat.

I like the idea of allowing AGT to attack Italy in '01. I tried to do it once and had to readjust everything when the computer wouldn't let me. But allowing AGT to get into their 17 faster should help lessen the EGT advantage.

I also like the idea of ties going to AGT. The 17-17 split is rare and usually unsustainable, but for an AGT that to manages to pull it off, it is worth rewarding.
"He says there are no easy answers. I say he's not looking hard enough!"
Morg

Standard rating: (1428)
All-game rating: (1561)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby sinnybee » 28 May 2012, 11:58

I don't think it should have to be sustainable... if AGT ever gets to 17 I think that should be victory or rather a loss for EFR.
Gold Classicist since 1-11-11
FT Asst GM of 35 player WWIV Aug 2011-Feb 2012
#1 ranked player of playdip early 2013
4th highest forum karma count at Apr 2013 ending (behind Craw, Dipsy, and Rick)
Tournament Director of the 31 game PDVT Feb-Dec 2014, the first playdip tourney with over 100 sign-ups
sinnybee

Standard rating: (1332)
All-game rating: (1467)
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby thewysecat » 29 May 2012, 01:50

So, yes for the record

F1 & F2 - both ended in EFR wins by concession. 1 - 1
F3 & F4 - ditto. 2 - 2
F5 & F6 - ended with wins in both EFR and AGT for myself 4 - 2

The final itself took 2 months, but this tournament is now finally at an end. I now quit the field as both player and stand-in tournament director (in fact I was a replacement player too). Hopefully Rick.Leeds will take this one back over and lead it towards a second iteration if there is player demand

Wyse
"Of all the things I have known myself to be, I never recognized the fool."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atuNdPgM8eY
thewysecat

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1518)
All-game rating: (1526)
Timezone: GMT-4

Previous

Return to Face Off Challenge