FOC Phase Two - Match Ups and Results

2-player tournament using a modified version of the published 2-player rules. TD: rick.leeds. WINNER: thewysecat

Re: FOC Phase Two - Match Ups and Results

Postby Maucat » 28 Mar 2012, 15:54

presser84 wrote:
presser84 wrote:
Maucat wrote:The results of the FOC phase 2 have demonstrated that Rick's structure of the tournament was right and the modifications made were wrong... the phase 2 winners were the players that played with E/R/F (it's quite impossible win the A/G/T without big mistakes from E/F/R...). The double play (summing the SCs like European Soccer Club Cup was the right solution) was right and not a single game where E/F/R player start knowing he has win without errors...

I think that the Tournament was upset without any good motivation... :(

EFR was 12-8 in Phase 1 (4-0 in elimination games, 8-8 in other games)
EFR was 9-1 in Phase 2 (2-0 in elimination games)

I suspect there was a slight learning curve from Phase 1 to Phase 2 and players who got to see or play enough as EFR in phase 1 "got the hang of it."

I also suspect EFR will be 4-0 in Phase 3.

I don't see how the number of centers would be relevant when you can surrender early. I was in games were as EFR I could have pushed forward but I had the win in hand. No need to get to the pure 24. Also, for some situations the game would have given the other player the win because they "controled" Italy and the Civil Disorder centers counted towards their center count (at least to the playdip system).

To add to what I was saying before. I know for me personally when I played as EFR and lost it was because I decided to try something different what I had done previously as EFR just to experiment. That plus I was playing a smary player lead to my demise. Had I played my standard game as EFR I think the outcome would have been different. That's my basic point. AGT needs some breaks. I don't want to go into the strategy of this here since the tournament is on going but I sense the variant is not balanced. The stats here at the end are baring that out.

The right way to play this tournament is a double game (best at the same time) until a fixed year and then summing the SCs from the two games giving the victory in eventually draw to the player with more A/G/T SCs as in the European Football Cups...
And Rick as english was near this solution... With the Phase 2 in single game we have killed this tournament... wasting only time...

E/F/R in a correct game will always win because... I'll say it later after the tournament's end but it's easy seeing the past games... :mrgreen:
"Governare è far credere" - "To govern is to make to believe"
N. Machiavelli
Maucat

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1039)
All-game rating: (1386)
Timezone: GMT+1

Postby asudevil » 28 Mar 2012, 16:01

However, I still believe that we should finish this tournament, but your ideas are correct if we ever run this again, I believe a double game style would work better.

When I drew AGT in my last game, I knew I was doomed, I had to take risks to break through the stalemate lines, and naturally it cost me, but you just dont have the time to slow play AGT.
Captain FANG, forum team championships WINNER
Part of the surviving nations of WW4/Haven

Unless I am in the cheater's subforum. 99% of what I say is NOT as a mod.

Want to play fantasy football this season here...Reigning Champion
asudevil

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1351)
All-game rating: (1497)
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby Maucat » 28 Mar 2012, 16:41

asudevil wrote:However, I still believe that we should finish this tournament, but your ideas are correct if we ever run this again, I believe a double game style would work better.

When I drew AGT in my last game, I knew I was doomed, I had to take risks to break through the stalemate lines, and naturally it cost me, but you just dont have the time to slow play AGT.

After this Tournament with his rules changed it will be difficult to start another because after one phase the rules can be changed again... and another black spot was the lack of transparency in the draws for the assignment of the Powers...
Repeat we have wasted time and a good chance to make a very good Tournament...
N. Machiavelli
Maucat

Postby thewysecat » 28 Mar 2012, 17:04

Ok folks, I am in a difficult position here since:

(i) I have sort of self-appointed myself as tournament director with absolutely no authority to do so other than someone had to take it on and no one else was, and
(ii) I am still an active player in the tournament - never a happy combination and perhaps I ought to step aside - I am happy to hand off duties to anyone who wants them. Rick is back but has not contacted me yet so....

Anyway...

I will say this

I am very much looking forward to the AAR for the tournament and what folks have to say about the format of both the game and the tournament.

I am consious of the self-serving aspect of this next statement given point (ii) above, but...I feel I must say that it is only fair to the players still playing in the tournament to restrain further comment on this lest it drift into:

a) A discussion of strategy, approach to play and so forth as either power combination, or
b) (And I think we are pretty much near enough there as things stand on current posts) A suggestion that those in the later rounds are only where they are because they lucked out on country assignment in phase two. They might want defend themselves against that suggestion and that can only lead us to point a) above

I have my own views, but will keep the detail of them to myself for now though - as I say - I look forward to contributing to the AAR. In broad terms though, I will say that I believe that EFR and AGT are well balanced. I cannot in fairness say anymore than that at this point

What I will do is make an offer to anyone who wishes to take me up on it. I have offered it to Maucat via PM and will do so to everyone else who feels "100% - EFR should win and that has ruined the tournament" or similar sentiments. I am happy to play anyone and take the AGT team. I do not claim I will win, but I believe I have 50:50 odds because I believe the game format is balanced. Then I am happy to have a PM exchange with anyone to chew over the fat of the game once it is fiinished as long as both parties agree to keep that chat private until the tournament is over.
"Of all the things I have known myself to be, I never recognized the fool."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atuNdPgM8eY
thewysecat

Standard rating: (1518)
All-game rating: (1526)
Timezone: GMT-4

Postby asudevil » 28 Mar 2012, 17:12

I look forward to your AAR's...and since you will be playing AGT in this round, I look forward to seeing your play during these games.
Captain FANG, forum team championships WINNER
Part of the surviving nations of WW4/Haven

Unless I am in the cheater's subforum. 99% of what I say is NOT as a mod.

Want to play fantasy football this season here...Reigning Champion
asudevil

Standard rating: (1351)
All-game rating: (1497)
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby thewysecat » 28 Mar 2012, 17:21

Game E1 has concluded and Morg is our final semi-finalist. Thanks for playing Presser84. Those games will be set up now and the participants PMed.
thewysecat

Postby Prufrock » 28 Mar 2012, 19:00

Perhaps once the tournament is concluded we can have a discussion for how to improve the setup for FOC Season 2. It sounds like there are several ideas that would be great to discuss when this tournament is finished.
Prufrock

Class: Ambassador
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby Maucat » 29 Mar 2012, 11:34

thewysecat wrote:Ok folks, I am in a difficult position here since:

(i) I have sort of self-appointed myself as tournament director with absolutely no authority to do so other than someone had to take it on and no one else was, and
(ii) I am still an active player in the tournament - never a happy combination and perhaps I ought to step aside - I am happy to hand off duties to anyone who wants them. Rick is back but has not contacted me yet so....

Sure it was better wait Rick than what you've done...but is well known that Europeans have patience Americans were not... I was opposed to changing the tournament rules and I played only for non-blocking it... Knowing that in any case would have been wrong...
This scenario is exhausting its potential...
N. Machiavelli
Maucat

Postby Morg » 30 Mar 2012, 00:07

Maucat wrote:Sure it was better wait Rick than what you've done...but is well known that Europeans have patience Americans were not... I was opposed to changing the tournament rules and I played only for non-blocking it... Knowing that in any case would have been wrong...
This scenario is exhausting its potential...

Well... Judging by the timezone...thewysecat isn't American or at least isn't living in America. Maybe Canada or Brazil, but not the USA. If we want to nation-bait, the reflexive is also quite easy to spin, but I don't think we do.

Anyways, clearly the current arrangement isn't perfect, but I think it is better that the Tournament had continued going during Rick's absence. I also appreciate that the Tournament had very few major hiccups in it's fluidity. I would say this even if I were out, even if it was only because I drew AGT too many times.

Then again, Sinnybee drew AGT every single time and it wasn't until NMRs hit, because her RL got busy, that she began to suffer much from it.
"He says there are no easy answers. I say he's not looking hard enough!"
Morg

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1428)
All-game rating: (1561)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby thewysecat » 30 Mar 2012, 02:39

Well Maucat, I am sorry you feel that way. I am not sure what I have done in the organisation that Rick or indeed any of the players would object to....if you objected you did not speak up to say so at the time - perhaps you can explain specifically what you object to.... I can also confirm that I am most certainly not American. I am English. I am thus happy to be able to provide sufficient evidence of my faults such that they directly refute your US/European (mis)characterisation...

In other news, all semi-final games are under way and a quite a few phases along in their progress..
thewysecat

PreviousNext

Return to Face Off Challenge