FOC Phase Two - Match Ups and Results

2-player tournament using a modified version of the published 2-player rules. TD: rick.leeds. WINNER: thewysecat

Re: FOC Phase Two - Match Ups and Results

Postby asudevil » 13 Mar 2012, 19:26

I would say 2 matches...requiring wins from both sides of A/T/G and E/F/R and if one is a 17/17...redo that one until a winner is decided...
Captain FANG, forum team championships WINNER
Part of the surviving nations of WW4/Haven

Unless I am in the cheater's subforum. 99% of what I say is NOT as a mod.

Want to play fantasy football this season here...Reigning Champion
asudevil

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1351)
All-game rating: (1497)
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby Prufrock » 13 Mar 2012, 22:08

thewysecat wrote:No 'draw' has been made for the semi-finals but I wondered how people thought about 'forcing' a mixing up of the 2 halves of the quarter final draw. What I mean is that Bwlvych and prufrock have played each other twice now and so perhaps ought not to meet again unless it is in the final

Something like this for the semi-finals:

W2 v E1
W1 v E2

It introduces a kind of 'seeding' element in that those needing an eliminator to make the semis cannot play one another. Likewise those who went 2-0 in the quarters avoid each other. Do folks think that is fair and proper?

I support this proposal.

Please review the rules for the semi-finals because the format as constructed by Rick is itself quite long - two simultaneous matches - a result of sharing the games meaning a repetition until someone wins by a clear margin.

One issue that is not clear is if one game finishes in a victory but the other in a 17v17 tie is that enough for a result or do 2 more matches have to be played? Views?

I'm happy with victory + draw going to the player with the win, since the match score would look something like 1.5 to 0.5.
Prufrock

Class: Ambassador
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby thewysecat » 14 Mar 2012, 14:09

rick.leeds wrote: Semi-finals
In the Semi-finals, players will play two concurrent games playing both sides following a random draw. If one player wins both s/he will qualify for the Final. If the games are shared, two more will be played, until one player has a lead of two clear games.

Final
In the Final, players will play two concurrent games playing both sides. If one player wins both s/he will be declared the Champion. If the games are shared, two more will be played, until one player has a lead of two clear games.

This is Rick's structure. I too saw this in chess terms and that it would be 1.5 v 0.5. Clearly Rick had not thought of this outcome, but he does also make plain that the winner is someone leading by 2 clear games. Respect for this latter coda would suggest a need for more games...
"Of all the things I have known myself to be, I never recognized the fool."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atuNdPgM8eY
thewysecat

Standard rating: (1518)
All-game rating: (1526)
Timezone: GMT-4

Postby thewysecat » 19 Mar 2012, 17:01

Ok, game 4 is finally over - first post with results is updated. The next games are already set up and I will PM the participants with passwords so we can move on with this thing
thewysecat

Postby thewysecat » 23 Mar 2012, 00:47

Game W1 has concluded - first post updated with results. We have 3 of the 4 semi-finalists.

Presser84 is playing Maucat now in game D1. The winner of that will play Morg in the final eliminator to determine the fourth semi-finalist

One of the match ups for the semi-final is now known so that phase can begin. I will start a new thread
thewysecat

Postby Maucat » 23 Mar 2012, 10:10

The results of the FOC phase 2 have demonstrated that Rick's structure of the tournament was right and the modifications made were wrong... the phase 2 winners were the players that played with E/R/F (it's quite impossible win the A/G/T without big mistakes from E/F/R...). The double play (summing the SCs like European Soccer Club Cup was the right solution) was right and not a single game where E/F/R player start knowing he has win without errors...

I think that the Tournament was upset without any good motivation... :(
"Governare è far credere" - "To govern is to make to believe"
N. Machiavelli
Maucat

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1039)
All-game rating: (1386)
Timezone: GMT+1

Postby thewysecat » 23 Mar 2012, 14:30

Game D1 has concluded

Game E1 will be set up for Morg and Presser84 to determine the last semi-finalist
thewysecat

Postby presser84 » 27 Mar 2012, 21:24

Maucat wrote:The results of the FOC phase 2 have demonstrated that Rick's structure of the tournament was right and the modifications made were wrong... the phase 2 winners were the players that played with E/R/F (it's quite impossible win the A/G/T without big mistakes from E/F/R...). The double play (summing the SCs like European Soccer Club Cup was the right solution) was right and not a single game where E/F/R player start knowing he has win without errors...

EFR was 12-8 in Phase 1 (4-0 in elimination games, 8-8 in other games)
EFR was 9-1 in Phase 2 (2-0 in elimination games)

I suspect there was a slight learning curve from Phase 1 to Phase 2 and players who got to see or play enough as EFR in phase 1 "got the hang of it."

I also suspect EFR will be 4-0 in Phase 3.

I don't see how the number of centers would be relevant when you can surrender early. I was in games were as EFR I could have pushed forward but I had the win in hand. No need to get to the pure 24. Also, for some situations the game would have given the other player the win because they "controled" Italy and the Civil Disorder centers counted towards their center count (at least to the playdip system).
Westeros Diplomacy - GM/creator
Diplomacy of Ice and Fire 2 - GM
Keirador wrote:Stop being a dickasaurus rex.
presser84

Standard rating: (1460)
All-game rating: (1678)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Morg » 28 Mar 2012, 00:40

Phase 2 Game E1 has come to a close.

Presser84 offered the draw.
SC count was at EFR20 (Morg)-AGT14 (Presser)
I have to admit that I think the EFR learning curve is much easier and straightforward and certainly less psychological. I would say that I'd like to play more AGT games to get more practice with it, but with this high-caliber of opponents one could easily be writing their own death warrant.

I guess in the semis it's a closer face off with two simultaneous games going on and players taking both sides of the EFR-AGT divide. So at least that'll shake things up.
"He says there are no easy answers. I say he's not looking hard enough!"
Morg

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1428)
All-game rating: (1561)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby presser84 » 28 Mar 2012, 01:36

presser84 wrote:
Maucat wrote:The results of the FOC phase 2 have demonstrated that Rick's structure of the tournament was right and the modifications made were wrong... the phase 2 winners were the players that played with E/R/F (it's quite impossible win the A/G/T without big mistakes from E/F/R...). The double play (summing the SCs like European Soccer Club Cup was the right solution) was right and not a single game where E/F/R player start knowing he has win without errors...

EFR was 12-8 in Phase 1 (4-0 in elimination games, 8-8 in other games)
EFR was 9-1 in Phase 2 (2-0 in elimination games)

I suspect there was a slight learning curve from Phase 1 to Phase 2 and players who got to see or play enough as EFR in phase 1 "got the hang of it."

I also suspect EFR will be 4-0 in Phase 3.

I don't see how the number of centers would be relevant when you can surrender early. I was in games were as EFR I could have pushed forward but I had the win in hand. No need to get to the pure 24. Also, for some situations the game would have given the other player the win because they "controled" Italy and the Civil Disorder centers counted towards their center count (at least to the playdip system).

To add to what I was saying before. I know for me personally when I played as EFR and lost it was because I decided to try something different what I had done previously as EFR just to experiment. That plus I was playing a smary player lead to my demise. Had I played my standard game as EFR I think the outcome would have been different. That's my basic point. AGT needs some breaks. I don't want to go into the strategy of this here since the tournament is on going but I sense the variant is not balanced. The stats here at the end are baring that out.
Westeros Diplomacy - GM/creator
Diplomacy of Ice and Fire 2 - GM
Keirador wrote:Stop being a dickasaurus rex.
presser84

Standard rating: (1460)
All-game rating: (1678)
Timezone: GMT-5

PreviousNext

Return to Face Off Challenge