FOC Phase One RESULTS.

2-player tournament using a modified version of the published 2-player rules. TD: rick.leeds. WINNER: thewysecat

Re: FOC Phase One RESULTS.

Postby Morg » 23 Jan 2012, 07:53

presser84 wrote:How many more phases are there?

There is still phase 2, semi-finals and finals.

And it looks like two games left in phase one left.

Sinnybee v. Asudevil
MysticX v. Bwlvych
"He says there are no easy answers. I say he's not looking hard enough!"
Morg

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1428)
All-game rating: (1561)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby sinnybee » 23 Jan 2012, 08:01

presser84 wrote:How many more phases are there?

Qualifying Phase: 20 players
Phase One: 16 players
Phase Two: 8 players
Semi-finals: 4 players
Final: 2 players
Details
Oh, I guess Morg already answered the question.

Does anyone else think that this tournament is too long?
I've thought so since early September...

If we continue with our current structure it will take us six games (three in Phase Two and three in Semi-finals) to get to the finals.

One reason the current structure is taking so long is that everyone is able to lose a game in every phase without penalty. In my following double-elimination structure, anyone who loses twice (after Phase One is over) is out for good, no matter what.

:arrow: If we switched to a double-elimination structure it would only take four (a fifth for two of the players if the winners bracket winner loses in their last match-up) games to get to the finals:
1) 4 games
2) 2 winners bracket games and 2 losers bracket games
3) 1 winners bracket game and 2 losers bracket games (one of which for the two who lost 1) and won 2) and one game for the two who won 1) and lost 2))
4) Game 1: winner of {winners} bracket vs winner of {losers of 1) games} bracket
Game 2: winner of {losers of 2) (winners bracket) games} bracket vs loser of 3) (final winners bracket) game
If and when the winners bracket winner loses, whether in 4) or whether in the final, they will rematch their opponent playing the other three countries. The winner of the rematch is the winner of the match-up.

Besides shortening the tournament, the other advantage of a double elimination structure is the guarentee that no one would play the same opponent twice in 1) through 3) of the 4 match-ups.

Can I get a YAY or NAY vote of whether or not to switch to my proposed double elimination structure, first from the six who have already advanced from Phase One? I'll send out a PM.
Last edited by sinnybee on 23 Jan 2012, 09:33, edited 2 times in total.
Gold Classicist since 1-11-11
FT Asst GM of 35 player WWIV Aug 2011-Feb 2012
#1 ranked player of playdip early 2013
4th highest forum karma count at Apr 2013 ending (behind Craw, Dipsy, and Rick)
Tournament Director of the 31 game PDVT Feb-Dec 2014, the first playdip tourney with over 100 sign-ups
sinnybee

Standard rating: (1332)
All-game rating: (1467)
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby presser84 » 23 Jan 2012, 09:23

YAY...wait I agree with Sinny?...[head explodes]
Westeros Diplomacy - GM/creator
Diplomacy of Ice and Fire 2 - GM
Keirador wrote:Stop being a dickasaurus rex.
presser84

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1460)
All-game rating: (1678)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby sinnybee » 23 Jan 2012, 09:40

presser84 wrote:YAY...wait I agree with Sinny?...[head explodes]

:P
Good, one less opponent. That means asudevil and I are both in to the next round and we don't have to play each other right now. :)
Oh... wait... one moment of silence in honour of the life of presser84. Okay, moment over. :P

Btw, the two edits to my last post were small clarifications.
Gold Classicist since 1-11-11
FT Asst GM of 35 player WWIV Aug 2011-Feb 2012
#1 ranked player of playdip early 2013
4th highest forum karma count at Apr 2013 ending (behind Craw, Dipsy, and Rick)
Tournament Director of the 31 game PDVT Feb-Dec 2014, the first playdip tourney with over 100 sign-ups
sinnybee

Standard rating: (1332)
All-game rating: (1467)

Postby asudevil » 23 Jan 2012, 14:52

Morg wrote:
I would be in favor of such an amendment, I would run it by Asudevil first though, since it does directly affect him in this case.

I have played G/A/T myself the last 2 games in this tournament (won one lost one)

My only E/F/R was the first game and that didnt go well (it was my first 2man game.)
Captain FANG, forum team championships WINNER
Part of the surviving nations of WW4/Haven

Unless I am in the cheater's subforum. 99% of what I say is NOT as a mod.

Want to play fantasy football this season here...Reigning Champion
asudevil

Standard rating: (1351)
All-game rating: (1497)

Postby asudevil » 23 Jan 2012, 14:54

sinnybee wrote:
presser84 wrote:YAY...wait I agree with Sinny?...[head explodes]

:P
Good, one less opponent. That means asudevil and I are both in to the next round and we don't have to play each other right now. :)
Oh... wait... one moment of silence in honour of the life of presser84. Okay, moment over. :P

Btw, the two edits to my last post were small clarifications.

Im fine whichever...
Captain FANG, forum team championships WINNER
Part of the surviving nations of WW4/Haven

Unless I am in the cheater's subforum. 99% of what I say is NOT as a mod.

Want to play fantasy football this season here...Reigning Champion
asudevil

Standard rating: (1351)
All-game rating: (1497)

Postby Maucat » 23 Jan 2012, 15:52

I'm for original Rick's rules...
They'll take more time but they'ld permit only to the best player to win... :mrgreen:
"Governare è far credere" - "To govern is to make to believe"
N. Machiavelli
Maucat

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1039)
All-game rating: (1386)
Timezone: GMT+1

Postby Maucat » 23 Jan 2012, 16:07

I think the actual tournament's situation should be this: January 23rd 2012

Phase One, Game 1: thewysecat (E/F/R) 25 SCs bt. slippydippy (A/G/T) 9 SCs.
Phase One, Game 2: Morg (A/G/T) 19 SCs bt. Yorkshireman (E/F/R) 15 SCs by concession.
Phase One, Game 3: sinnybee (A/G/T) 24 SCs bt. marshwiggle (E/F/R) 10 SCs.
Phase One, Game 4: MisticX (E/F/R) 25 SCs bt. Palin (A/G/T) 9 SCs.
Phase One, Game 5: Prufrock (E/F/R) 21 SCs bt. Bwlvych (A/G/T) 13 SCs by concession.
Phase One, Game 6: Maucat (E/F/R) 21 SCs bt. asudevil (A/G/T) 13 SCs by concession.
Phase One, Game 7: mr bump (E/F/R) 25 SCs bt. Peanut (A/G/T) 9 SCs.
Phase One, Game 8: presser84 (A/G/T) 20 SCs bt Sitting Duck (E/F/R) 14 SCs by concession.

Phase One, Game W1: thewysecat (A/G/T) 22 SCs bt. MisticX (E/F/R) 12 SCs by concession
Phase One, Game W2: Morg (E/F/R) 18 SCs bt. sinnybee (A/G/T) 16 SCS by concession
Phase One, Game W3: Prufrock (A/G/T) 18 SCs bt. presser84 (E/F/R) 15 SCs by concession.
Phase One, Game W4: Maucat(E/F/R) 19 SCs bt. mr bump (A/G/T) 14 SCs by concession.
Phase One, Game D1: slippydippy (A/G/T) 18 SCs bt. Yorkshireman (E/F/R) 16 SCs by concession.
Phase One, Game D2: Peanut (A/G/T) 17 SCs bt. marshwiggle (E/F/R) 16 SCs by concession.
Phase One, Game D3: asudevil (A/G/T) 25 SCs bt Palin (E/F/R) 9 SCs
Phase One, Game D4: Bwlvych (E/F/R) 17 SCs bt. Sitting Duck (A/G/T) 15 SCs by concession.
QUALIFIERS

Phase One, Game E1: presser84 (E/F/R) 19 SCs bt. Peanut (A/G/T) 13 SCs by concession.
Phase One, Game E2: sinnybee vs. Asudevil
Phase One, Game E3: MisticX vs. Bwlvych
Phase One, Game E4: slippydippy (E/F/R) 22 SCs bt Mr Bump (A/G/T) 12 SCs by concession (neither player notified me but a draw has been agreed and so this seems to be what has happened)
QUALIFIERS

Game E3 Mistic X and Bwlvych seem to be in a stalemate with Bwlvych owns 18 SCs.. but are playing on for now. It should end soon

Game E2 hasn't yet started...
Last edited by Maucat on 23 Jan 2012, 17:46, edited 1 time in total.
"Governare è far credere" - "To govern is to make to believe"
N. Machiavelli
Maucat

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1039)
All-game rating: (1386)
Timezone: GMT+1

Postby thewysecat » 23 Jan 2012, 17:18

I am happy with either format. I would like to suggest that the pace of this tournament is mostly in our own hands though. Liberal use of finalise can mean games go quickly if both players want it to...

That is not always possible with RL

That said, I have watched every game and in my view a number of games have been played well past the point where there should have been a concession to respect the tournament and its pacing. Games being played out to the death that could easily be conceeded. Or 18 v 16 stalemates being perpetuated past the point where a concession should be made. This combined with taking every deadline to the full 2 days and the weeks add up.

Everyone has the right to play as they see fit and so I cannot and would not propose an interventionist solution. However, I would urge the community of this tournament to be respectful of the tournament's needs for pace...as we narrow the pool I think it behooves us to think and act in these terms and to undertake to each other to act in this way...in the best interests of the tournament. No one should feel under pressure to rush their moves, but all should be mindful of when the game is up...

If necessary, a game can be played out to the death but an informal concession be posted here so that the next match can be set up or some similar process. On more than one occasion - in my view - the tournament has been held up from progressing by the situations I have described

I offer this up for dialogue...
"Of all the things I have known myself to be, I never recognized the fool."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atuNdPgM8eY
thewysecat

Standard rating: (1518)
All-game rating: (1526)
Timezone: GMT-4

Postby thewysecat » 23 Jan 2012, 17:47

I have set up the last game and PMed the players

There is one other matter to agree - the 'draw' for any continuing rounds in any format. So far I have been able to rely on the draw already made and posted by Rick. It isn't appropriate for me to make the next draw as long as I am an active participant.

I would like to recruit someone to perform that function for us. If all are agreeable I could approach a moderator such as Dipsy, Pedros or Craw or anyone else everyone agrees would be appropriate to run random.org for us...views?
"Of all the things I have known myself to be, I never recognized the fool."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atuNdPgM8eY
thewysecat

Standard rating: (1518)
All-game rating: (1526)
Timezone: GMT-4

PreviousNext

Return to Face Off Challenge