FOC Qualifying Phase RESULTS

2-player tournament using a modified version of the published 2-player rules. TD: rick.leeds. WINNER: thewysecat

Re: FOC Qualifying Phase RESULTS

Postby thewysecat » 19 Oct 2011, 14:31

viewtopic.php?f=329&t=22569

Fair enough Rick. To clarify, though we are still working to the original structure above because I don't see how it will work with 5 original starting groups? Have we now switched to just 16 made it through meaning 16 matches to reduce us to 8?
"Of all the things I have known myself to be, I never recognized the fool."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atuNdPgM8eY
thewysecat

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1518)
All-game rating: (1526)
Timezone: GMT-4

Postby rick.leeds » 19 Oct 2011, 17:31

No the structure is the same. I'm not sure why you think it won't work?
Phase One.
(a) The 16 players will play each other. Players will not play anyone from their Qualifying Group, but the draw will be random apart from that.
(b)[i] Winners will play each other. WG1 v WG4; WG2 v WG3; WG5 v WG8; WG6 v WG7. Players who win two games will progress to Phase Two.
(b)[ii] Defeated players will play each other. DG1 v DG2; DG3 v DG7; DG4 v DG6; DG5 v DG8. Winners will progress to next round in Phase One, defeated are eliminated.
(c) The players who lost a W game will play a player who won a D game; winners progress to Phase Two.

First round of games has a draw as described involving all 16 qualifiers (eventually).
The winners of these games play a game against another winner and the losers of these games play a game against another player who lost. At this stage, win two games and you're through to Phase Two; lose two games and you're eliminated. Four players will qualify.
The players who each have won one game in the Phase go on to play a game against another player who has won one game, with the winners progressing. Another four players.

Basically, win two games in the phase and you progress.
World Diplomacy Forum.
Online Resources editor at the Diplomatic Pouch.
Don't let the stepladder get you. Watch where you're stepping. ANY step could be a doozy.
rick.leeds
Site Admin
Site Admin

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1158)
All-game rating: (1070)
Timezone: GMT

Postby thewysecat » 19 Oct 2011, 17:34

I missed interpreted part (a) - now I get it. Thanks
"Of all the things I have known myself to be, I never recognized the fool."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atuNdPgM8eY
thewysecat

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1518)
All-game rating: (1526)
Timezone: GMT-4

Postby rick.leeds » 19 Oct 2011, 17:35

Maucat wrote:Hey Rick the final result of my game is 24/10 not 24/14 as you reported on the official board... :mrgreen:

Oops! Corrected, sorry.

thewysecat wrote:I missed interpreted part (a) - now I get it. Thanks

OK... phew, I thought I'd missed something. One of those days.
World Diplomacy Forum.
Don't let the stepladder get you. Watch where you're stepping. ANY step could be a doozy.
rick.leeds
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby rick.leeds » 19 Oct 2011, 20:42

UPDATE: I'm going to hold off on setting up the First Phase as there is now only one Elimination game in progress (unless something happens). That remaining game may not take too long.
World Diplomacy Forum.
rick.leeds
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby rick.leeds » 25 Oct 2011, 14:45

That completes the Qualifying Phase.

Well done to all those who qualified for the First Phase. Thank you to everyone who has competed so far and commiserations to those who were eliminated.

First Phase games will be set up tomorrow.
World Diplomacy Forum.
rick.leeds
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Morg » 26 Oct 2011, 21:09

I don't know why you and Morg had to end your game at 17 to 17, especially when there's plenty of time left for the rest of us to play out our games.
http://www.playdiplomacy.com/game_play_ ... e_id=32045
Morg, the fact that you had lost Germany was no reason to feel like you should offer a draw. Who says you had no chance to gain an upper hand?
You could have gone for Wes Med, Pied, etc.

Yeah, I think I misread the rules a couple of times. For some reason during that match I had the idea that a player had to keep all 3 nations alive and that one couldn't take over allied SCs. So between tripping over myself and confusing myself over minutae, I let it go. Good thing I got it figured out by game 2 :lol: .
"He says there are no easy answers. I say he's not looking hard enough!"
Morg

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1428)
All-game rating: (1561)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby Morg » 27 Oct 2011, 04:04

I would like to say, I MAY have tricked him into offering the draw. I told him that it was a stalemate (but your right about the MED), and he should just offer me the draw (never thought he would) and I would accept it. I feel kinda bad, since the rules say that whoever offers the draw loses, (and I dont think he knew that) but I feel less bad than had I lost. So its kinda sneaky, and I feel kinda bad...but at the same time, kinda not.

Sorry Morg

No worries Asudevil. I was kind of annoyed because I was tripping all over myself by taking SCs from Austria and handing them to Turkey. I had done a few things different, I would've held out and gone for another attack. :)
"He says there are no easy answers. I say he's not looking hard enough!"
Morg

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1428)
All-game rating: (1561)
Timezone: GMT-8

Previous

Return to Face Off Challenge