The Face Off Challenge - Early Phases & Sign-ups.

2-player tournament using a modified version of the published 2-player rules. TD: rick.leeds. WINNER: thewysecat

The Face Off Challenge - Early Phases & Sign-ups.

Postby rick.leeds » 22 Aug 2011, 18:25

TOURNAMENT RULES: Qualifying Phase, Phase One and Phase Two ONLY.

A. STRUCTURE
The following is a basic outline that will be altered when I know how many people are involved.
See here.

B. ENTRANTS
Open to any site member who is Premium and who signs-up.

C. GAMES
1. Games will use the site's 2-player Variant, although there will be exceptions to how the games may be played..
2. One player will control E/F/R, the other A/G/T.
3. The rules for Italy in tournament games are:
- Italian units MUST be issued with HOLD orders for moves; they must not move, neither can they offer support.
- if an Italian unit is successfully attacked, the player controlling Italy MUST issue a destroy order for that unit. [Of course, the unit could be unordered in the Retreats phase but that would mean the phase lasted the totality of the 48 hours, which we don't want to use.]
- As with normal CD powers, either side can support an Italian unit to HOLD.
- A player ordering anything other than a HOLD order or DESTROY order for Italy will be removed from the Tournament.

3. Italian-owned SCs may not count as achieving the 24 SC victory criteria. Should a game end with Italian units being counted towards this criteria, the game will be declared null and void and will need to be replayed (players being assigned a different side will need to play that side). If a game ends with Italian units NOT counting towards the 24 SCs of the victor, the game result will NOT be affected.
6. Games may be ended in a draw before the victory criteria is met (but not before 1905 as per site rules). The player who offers the draw will be deemed to have conceded the game.
7. For Tournament purposes, games will end after the 1920 Fall Retreats Phase. At this point, the player with the higher SC count will be adjudged the victor.
8. Deadlines will be 48/48/48 (only to allow enough time for days when a player cannot access the site) with speed deadlines EXPECTED TO BE USED WHEN POSSIBLE.
9. Games will include the DIAS option (if possible?).
10. Unless requested otherwise, the game map/icon will be the site default.

D. SURRENDERING FROM A GAME/NEEDING A SUBSTITUTE
1. Should a player surrender from a game without permission from the TD will forfeit the game.
2. A player who needs to surrender for a reason should notify the TD who will attempt to find a replacement. The TD will extend the deadlines to until the player can be replaced.
3. Should the TD be unable to find a replacement the game will be forfeit.
4. Players who need a substitute for a period must organise this themselves. Substitutes must not be any player active in the tournament.
5. Players can request a delay in Game Start between games.

E. BUGS
1. Should a player/player(s) believe a bug or other site-related incident has affected the game, s/he should contact the TD about it NOT post in the Forum.
2. The TD may choose to "suspend" the game by extending deadlines until the bug can be investigated, and would notify players in the game of this.
3. Any errors which cannot be evidenced as the result of a bug, any actions occur because of a bug and anything that cannot be corrected will NOT invalidate the game within the League.
4. A perceived inconsistency between orders and reported orders will not be considered a bug.

For the Rules for Semi-finals and the Final, see here.
World Diplomacy Forum.
Online Resources editor at the Diplomatic Pouch.
Don't let the stepladder get you. Watch where you're stepping. ANY step could be a doozy.
rick.leeds
Site Admin
Site Admin

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1158)
All-game rating: (1070)
Timezone: GMT

Re: The Face Off Challenge - Rules (early draft) & Sign-ups.

Postby rick.leeds » 22 Aug 2011, 18:27

Interested? Add your name below or PM me. If you sign-up you agree to play by the rules in Final Draft (which will only alter in the way the tournament is structured, as indicated above). If you have anything to add, post below ;)

Sign-ups SIGN-UPS closed.
mr bump (confirmed)
sjg11 (confirmed)
ak47 (confirmed)
presser84 (confirmed)
marshwiggle (confirmed)
Palin (confirmed)
Maucat (confirmed)
Sitting Duck (confirmed)
slippydippy (confirmed)
Morg (confirmed)
Yorkshireman (confirmed)
Elgard (confirmed)
Prufrock (confirmed)
Kayle (confirmed)
stvr1050 (confirmed)
sinnybee (confirmed)
MisticX (confirmed)
asudevil (confirmed)
Bwlvych (confirmed)
Peanut (confirmed)

EDIT: Preliminary sign-ups finish on MONDAY 5 SEPTEMBER.
(i) If we have a multiple of four as the number of entrants then, I will send out PMs to all requesting confirmation of participation, otherwise I will wait until I get enough to make a multiple of four. The thread will then move to it's own sub-forum.
(ii) Should potential entrants drop out at confirmation, I will search for other entrants; if you confirm you this will be assumed to not require further confirmation.
(iii) Once I have the necessary number of confirmations, I will randomly draw the groups and the Phase One matches for Round One in each group.
(iv) I will also publish a schedule of progression through the tournament at that point. This WON'T say how players match-up completely through the tournament, to allow for that little bit of mystery, but will detail the complete format for tournament.
(v) I will, when appropriate, send players a PM authorising the setting up of the two multiple accounts you will need to play this tournament, as per the rules above.
(vi) When I have received confirmation both players in a game have set up these accounts, the Game Start PM will be sent out, informing you of which powers you are controlling, the name and number of the game and reminding you how to enter the game.
World Diplomacy Forum.
Don't let the stepladder get you. Watch where you're stepping. ANY step could be a doozy.
rick.leeds
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby mr bump » 22 Aug 2011, 18:46

Sounds interesting count me in
mr bump

Veni, vidi, percussit.
mr bump

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (970)
All-game rating: (873)

Postby sjg11 » 22 Aug 2011, 19:20

I'm in.
One of the people in charge of the Mafia forum.
Telleo wrote:The mafia forum, to them,
Sir SJG's known as a gem,
He writes a good game,
and runs it the same,
Oh what a perfect GM!

Come on Arsenal!
sjg11

Standard rating: (908)
All-game rating: (899)

Postby ak47 » 22 Aug 2011, 19:48

I am interested aka sign me up aka crunchatize me cap'n
Firefly Mafia in queue. Express interest here
"Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal"
"Ha ha ha Mine is an evil laugh!"
Forever the King of Mafia
Lover of Bacon
ak47

All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby diplomat42 » 22 Aug 2011, 21:04

Rules questions:

1. If I joined, I would make 2 multiaccounts (have 3 accounts total) and all 3 would have to be premium? Otherwise, how do I control 3 countries :? :? :?

2. The games are DIAS, so even if I "lose" for the tournament I "win" because of the DIAS?

Just wanting clarification before I say yes, but for now I say yes anyways because I don't want to lose my spot...
Glorious Nation of the Himalaya et.al in CYOC.
Classicist, Whippersnapper.

Generation 32 (The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.)

JOIN CITY-STATES AND ZOMBIES!
IT WILL BE OFF THE CHAIN
diplomat42

Standard rating: (1140)
All-game rating: (1289)
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby slippydippy » 22 Aug 2011, 22:05

- Games may be ended in a draw before the victory criteria is met (but not before 1905 as per site rules). The player who offers the draw will be deemed to have conceded the game.

- Games may be conceded by offering a draw before the victory criteria is met (but not before 1905 as per site rules).
The DIAS element does seem rather superflouous.

A'min
ShorthandSally.
SympatheticSally.
If you spot a perfect pink pixie keeping to herself in the corner of the map, you're in luck: at last you have found someone you can trust.
slippydippy

All-game rating: 39
Timezone: GMT+1

Postby diplomat42 » 23 Aug 2011, 00:00

Yeah...why not just have the winning team...win?
Glorious Nation of the Himalaya et.al in CYOC.
Classicist, Whippersnapper.

Generation 32 (The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.)

JOIN CITY-STATES AND ZOMBIES!
IT WILL BE OFF THE CHAIN
diplomat42

Standard rating: (1140)
All-game rating: (1289)
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby presser84 » 23 Aug 2011, 03:11

If these two player games are norank you can sign me up. I play this type of variant with a friend of mine all the time. We even do some fun two player chaos+random netural variants that I think people would enjoy.
Westeros Diplomacy - GM/creator
Diplomacy of Ice and Fire 2 - GM
Keirador wrote:Stop being a dickasaurus rex.
presser84

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1460)
All-game rating: (1678)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby rick.leeds » 23 Aug 2011, 14:17

diplomat42 wrote:Rules questions:

1. If I joined, I would make 2 multiaccounts (have 3 accounts total) and all 3 would have to be premium? Otherwise, how do I control 3 countries :? :? :?

Ah yes, very good point. So the games would have to be non-Premium, which means not Gunboat, which isn't a problem, but also not anonymous. Although that shouldn't be a problem anyway as you are only playing one other player at a time. I'll change that.

diplomat42 wrote:2. The games are DIAS, so even if I "lose" for the tournament I "win" because of the DIAS?

Just wanting clarification before I say yes, but for now I say yes anyways because I don't want to lose my spot...

diplomat42 wrote:Yeah...why not just have the winning team...win?

The winning team can't just "win" because that would mean playing until one country reached 18 SCs. Games can't be ended before that. The games are No Rank so they won't affect rankings in anyway and it is only the victory criteria that count towards the tournament. The DIAS part is just an easier way than having to nominate certain countries. A draw isn't just a way to end a game where one side has achieved the criteria of 24 SCs, it's also a way to concede the game before then; he player who offers the draw concedes the game - you're not allowed to offer the draw to win the game - although as the games won't now be Gunboat, one player could propose a win by asking the other to concede, I guess.
World Diplomacy Forum.
rick.leeds
Site Admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to Face Off Challenge